Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth is uptight, stuffy, dull and boring

Perth is uptight, stuffy, dull and boring

Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:49 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth is uptight, stuffy, dull and boring

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Maybe I'm uptight, stuffy, dull and boring, but I just don't understand the point of moving 12000 miles away to spend all your time sitting in bars getting shit faced. Maybe if you're 20, but I would have thought that by the time you reach 50 you've grown out of moronic behaviour.
I'm sure you're not u,s,d and b Dorothy but I do find it's nice to have a good boozy blow out once in a while. The extension of the Oz Nanny State to cover alcohol consumption works by placing huge fines on the bartenders themselves ($8000) for anyone serving someone deemed 'intoxicated'.

'Intoxicated' to me means dancing the 'sh*t-faced shuffle' , craving a kebab, eyeing up a minger and waking up on someone's floor with an ash tray for a pillow. However, the RSA certificate is less generous with its definition.

Intoxicated being any state that diminishes....
'a person's ability to act and think in a way in which an ordinary and prudent person in full possession of his or her faculties, and using reasonable care, would act under like circumstances.'
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:52 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer

Intoxicated being any state that diminishes....
'a person's ability to act and think in a way in which an ordinary and prudent person in full possession of his or her faculties, and using reasonable care, would act under like circumstances.'
How could you tell in a lot of Australian places
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:54 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
How could you tell in a lot of Australian places
Maybe that's why there's deemed so little margin of intoxication to play with.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

so am I..

actually, aus is the worst country I've been mind you..............

So going out for a drink with mates when you're over 40 is "moronic"? Happy to be a moron then!

If we were talking about people who cant walk and/or are unsafe or threatening, fair enough ofcourse! its a random judgement though, and can be used to exclude certain people I think, esp oldies!! it just ruins the night often, cos they randomly refuse entry to one of the group.....

Remember if you dont grow up by middle age...you dont have to!! (unless you move to Aus in which case get out the stretch trousers and sit on the verandah wating to die!)
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I'm uptight, stuffy, dull and boring, but I just don't understand the point of moving 12000 miles away to spend all your time sitting in bars getting shit faced. Maybe if you're 20, but I would have thought that by the time you reach 50 you've grown out of moronic behaviour.
I think the point has been sadly missed here. It has nothing to do with getting shit faced as you term it. More a case of some folk having the option to be able to socialize in a congenial enviroment while be able to have a few drinks.
There are a few places but all to few. Most prefer to cater for the under 30s or so.Not everybody over 45 is wanting to remain indoors everynight watching tv in their pjs and slippers.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:55 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I Not everybody over 45 is wanting to remain indoors everynight watching tv in their pjs and slippers.
That sounds un australian to me
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

That sounds un australian to me
well to be fair...to be truly Aussie you'd need to pop to the shop in said attire....
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 3:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point has been sadly missed here. It has nothing to do with getting shit faced as you term it. More a case of some folk having the option to be able to socialize in a congenial enviroment while be able to have a few drinks.
There are a few places but all to few. Most prefer to cater for the under 30s or so.Not everybody over 45 is wanting to remain indoors everynight watching tv in their pjs and slippers.
No, I think I got the point. The OP wanted to be able to go to a bar and drink until he was legless. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...61&postcount=7
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:34 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cubeonly
Sorry to all for negative orig post, but that's what these forums are for - to speak your mind, plus me being me I wear my heart on my sleeve and don't mince my words.

Anyone know is there a pub in Perth I can walk in to, spend-up in there, then fall out of in to a waiting taxi, for the weekends? My pub experience so far is that if I have two beers the bar staff start looking at me as if I'm a criminal, then after the third they look in to my eyes and tell me they're glazed so I am pissed and must leave the premises!
You would like my local.Very few under the age of 40 and they all get into it.Now you'll love this...buy one beer and you get the next one free.Every other beer for nothingIt's his way of keeping you there and it works.I might suggest to landlord to rename the pub The Hotel California
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

No, I think I got the point. The OP wanted to be able to go to a bar and drink until he was legless. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...61&postcount=7
I didn't think the op was serious writing that and the issue was denial unfairly of alcohol.
Re reading it point taken. It could be taken either way. I think there must be some such places out in certain suburbs. Closest one I can think of was out in Queens park, here in Perth. That was demolished about a year ago though.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ukecadet
You would like my local.Very few under the age of 40 and they all get into it.Now you'll love this...buy one beer and you get the next one free.Every other beer for nothingIt's his way of keeping you there and it works.I might suggest to landlord to rename the pub The Hotel California
Now that's an offer that surprises me especially these days. When I lived up in Darwin way back in 97 the pubs used to have all sorts of offers like that. Never come across anything like that in Perth,but then I don't get out that much at least to pubs these days.
The $10- $12 pint somehow arrested too much interest.lol
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 8:19 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that's an offer that surprises me especially these days. When I lived up in Darwin way back in 97 the pubs used to have all sorts of offers like that. Never come across anything like that in Perth,but then I don't get out that much at least to pubs these days.
The $10- $12 pint somehow arrested too much interest.lol
It only applies to pots.It's very clever because you feel obliged to buy another. They seem to appear like magic.Good fun really.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Got to say that Oz pubs and bars are generally crap. The pubs in particular. It is one of the things i miss of the UK. That and the fact that the bars in Perth require you to remortgage the house in order to fund a night out.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

cubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant futurecubeonly has a brilliant future

Fact is I feel you can't really go out on your Friday night for a relaxed several beers. Fact is it's a guess whether you're gonna end up going home early, annoyed after having been asked to leave a bar after only 3 drinks. So the result is I hardly bother going to the pub at all. By having this responsible serving law or whatever it is, the big knobs think they are being clever - well it's BS and it doesn't achieve diddly squat. Sad state of affairs.

The cool solution for me - save my beer money and every couple of months or so I jump on a flight to Bali/Singapore/Bankgkok/Jakarta for a long weekend - serious good time for 4 days and 4 nights every couple of months or so.

Sorted!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:51 pm
Banned

marcusthe is an unknown quantity at this point

Perth = Hell on earth and a long way from anywhere. Why would anyone in their right mind move there? They need to get their heads tested.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.