Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - struggling to find work

Perth - struggling to find work

Old Feb 19th 2015, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough
Default Perth - struggling to find work

Hi,

I was made redundant from a big international mining company here in 2013, got a job very quickly at a Big 4 bank and was made redundant from them in Sept 2014. I had a brief temp role til Dec but now the market has been so quiet. I know of a few other people in the same boat but I am getting so frustrated watching seek.com.au on a daily basis, sending off CV's and visiting numerous employment agencies.

Is anyone else struggling with this? I know Christmas and Jan are not great times to be job hunting but things have still not improved.

Any insight welcome.
Old Feb 19th 2015, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth - struggling to find work

My 8th month of unemployment. Doing all the normal things but only had one interview in that time.

My research says things are likely to get a fair bit worse before it gets better.

WA is very much a boom / bust state. Prior to the last mining boom, WA was one of the poorest states in Oz.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Afraid above poster is quite correct. Very tough out there and just the beginning. Better off being a skilled labourer.

Question of luck and using the all important contacts I'm afraid.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Ugh that's depressing. Sounds like I'm possibly in it for the long haul.

Thanks anyway and good luck.
Old Feb 20th 2015, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. Very important the message gets out. Perth is no longer a place of ease in employment. Rather a return to mid 90's when returned and couldn't get a look in anywhere, outside of a little unrewarding temping. Was forced to relocate to Eastern States. I suspect same today. A big factor though now is housing is at crazy levels which while hardly cheap wasn't the case in 97.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Good luck. Very important the message gets out. Perth is no longer a place of ease in employment. Rather a return to mid 90's when returned and couldn't get a look in anywhere, outside of a little unrewarding temping. Was forced to relocate to Eastern States. I suspect same today. A big factor though now is housing is at crazy levels which while hardly cheap wasn't the case in 97.
What do you do for a crust, Troubs? You seem to have sailed along...under the radar, observing WA.
Would you consider a move East?
Old Mar 4th 2015, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What do you do for a crust, Troubs? You seem to have sailed along...under the radar, observing WA.
No unlikely to move East. Did so when found the going hard in the 90's though. QLD and NT.
Don't need to really bother now thankfully nor work full time, even better. Without any debt, there is only so much we need materially or can consume and I've enough to satisfy all that.

A lot more foreign travel and possibly retiring abroad or combinations off are the main thoughts now.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
No unlikely to move East. Did so when found the going hard in the 90's though. QLD and NT.
Don't need to really bother now thankfully nor work full time, even better. Without any debt, there is only so much we need materially or can consume and I've enough to satisfy all that.

A lot more foreign travel and possibly retiring abroad or combinations off are the main thoughts now.

You were interested in retiring in Malta weren't you? Did you look further into that?

S
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You were interested in retiring in Malta weren't you? Did you look further into that?

S
I most certainly did (to the point of looking at apartments and houses etc)but not quite at the point of shipping out just yet. I have come to the conclusion that a part time residence would be preferable to moving lock, stock and barrel there. I will maintain Australian links whatever and residency requirements at least in the medium term.

I don't feel compelled to confine myself to Malta either as still awhile to go before need to decide a permanent base.
Old Mar 14th 2015, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
East is no different. In the past year I have had 3 months work. Live in Melbourne, went to Sydney the year before to work in a contract, got fed up with the 'commute'.

Employers are taking the p**s as they can pick and choose. Regularly told there are 200 applicants.

In the 3 months position, I was being 'let go' after a week due to funding 'issues'. That changed and I survived. This is in IT with Fujitsu and Telstra, not some small company. At interview I was told there would probably be more opportunities after the 3 months which was a hand over of support to off shore companies.

If you don't get a call within a day or so of your application, your chances are slim. I am looking for other ways rather than the job sites, but not having much luck.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

DeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to allDeepSix is a name known to all

Its pretty bleak..
I'm looking to head overseas if there is no bites soon.
I'm one of no doubt ten of 1000's who is waiting for the Carmichael Mine project to get off the ground ( 6 months at best).

Nope.. big wide world.. time to say ta tah to Oz..
Old Mar 15th 2015, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap
East is no different. In the past year I have had 3 months work. Live in Melbourne, went to Sydney the year before to work in a contract, got fed up with the 'commute'.

Employers are taking the p**s as they can pick and choose. Regularly told there are 200 applicants.

In the 3 months position, I was being 'let go' after a week due to funding 'issues'. That changed and I survived. This is in IT with Fujitsu and Telstra, not some small company. At interview I was told there would probably be more opportunities after the 3 months which was a hand over of support to off shore companies.

If you don't get a call within a day or so of your application, your chances are slim. I am looking for other ways rather than the job sites, but not having much luck.
I think your problem is slightly different to those in the west. You said it yourself. IT and offshoring. If it can be done using the internet, by cheap labour, for the same quality, you are doomed