Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth (secret Harbour) vs Central coast (terrigal)

Perth (secret Harbour) vs Central coast (terrigal)

Old May 23rd 2010, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

ukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of lightukdarren22 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Perth (secret Harbour) vs Central coast (terrigal)

Hi I am a 29 year old Electrician, and me my wife and 2 kids are thinking of moving from Perth (Secret Harbour), to Central coast we do love it here but we have had some problems here and we are thinking of having a new start. we have lived here for the last 2 years and we do love it here but would like another adventure before the kids are to old to move again. We also have family in forrestors beach Parents and think it would be nice for the kids to have grandparents again.
What is work like over there, also how accesible is Sydney from the area. We like to go out drinking eating, clubbing, gigs etc. we love the beach and warm weather, any info would be great thanks
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:09 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Perth (secret Harbour) vs Central coast (terrigal)

Secret Harbour is a shithole. Plenty of decent other suburbs in Perth. Terrigal is just a little too far out from Sydney for easy commute but you are close to Sydney. Central Coast in general is a dump.
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:36 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
Secret Harbour is a shithole. Plenty of decent other suburbs in Perth. Terrigal is just a little too far out from Sydney for easy commute but you are close to Sydney. Central Coast in general is a dump.
I`d hardly describe it as a shithole.
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:40 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Well that WAS a helpful post.
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
I`d hardly describe it as a shithole.
Exactly, I haven't even been there and know it isn't a craphole!!!
Old May 23rd 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

Another very nagative post from you. You are not helpful at all.

Secret Harbour is fine. Good new area for families. Lots more happening with shops etc I believe.
Old May 23rd 2010, 3:11 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

I'm extremely helpful just tellign it as it is.

With regards to what the person is looking for Resturants, Nightlife etc Secret Harbour is not a good idea unless you don't mind paying $80 cab fares from the city.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:55 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

With regards to what the person is looking for Resturants, Nightlife etc Secret Harbour is not a good idea unless you don't mind paying $80 cab fares from the city.
Lack of nightlife does not make it a shithole - burned out cars, mass vandalism and grafitti along with no go areas - that would make it a shithole. It`s not everyones cup of tea that I know but a shithole - hardly.
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

Eammon is on a distinguished road

Just because a suburb does not have all of the above, doesn't make it a s***hole!!!! We moved to Secret Harbour in February and would have to say it is a lovely spot to live. Yes I agree it might not have nightlife and restuarants, but you would do that type of research before moving here I would think. I think your post would give others who might be considering moving to Secret Harbour completely the wrong impression, you might not like in Secret Harbour, but at least elaborate on what it is you don't like about it, so others can form the opinions on whether a suburb is for them or not!
Old May 23rd 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

had a bad day? Looking at other posts by you, shithole is the standard description for many things and places in OZ. Give it a break. Guess your age explains your attitude. SH is ideal for families with young children. And not everybody earns the money to live in Subi, Leederville and the likes.

Last edited by Evelin; May 23rd 2010 at 11:24 pm.
Old May 24th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Kind of agree, but if this applies to the whole of WA. You sacrifice good food, culture and things to live here
Old May 24th 2010, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

Do it,

I think the central coast is way better than Perth, although i have only ever spent a few months in Perth i did live on the ceny coast for 2 years.
If you are a fully licenced spark there should be no reason why you cant get work without the hour drive into the city.
The drive to Sydney or Newcastle ist too bad as its all on the highway, the pain starts when you actually get to Sydney.

Terrigal is a nice spot but Avoca or Macmasters are even better.
I wouldnt say the night life is anything special, but the hotel in Terrigal has decent bands on and your not too far from sydney for a big night out.

on the commute:
Terrigal to north Syd by car = 60-80 min
Gosford to North Syd by train=40min
ferry to palm beach Syd=20min
Terrigal to newcastle 80+min
Old May 24th 2010, 1:31 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
You sacrifice good food, culture and things to live here
We had an organic pork roast for dinner last night that was the best I've ever tasted (I cooked it of course so it was bound to be good). We had it with oven roasted, local, vegetables and home-made apple sauce - and not a Bisto gravy (great UK food eh?) granule in sight.

Superb.

Last edited by Amazulu; May 24th 2010 at 2:13 am.
Old May 24th 2010, 2:03 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oz miller man
Do it,

I think the central coast is way better than Perth, although i have only ever spent a few months in Perth i did live on the ceny coast for 2 years.
If you are a fully licenced spark there should be no reason why you cant get work without the hour drive into the city.
The drive to Sydney or Newcastle ist too bad as its all on the highway, the pain starts when you actually get to Sydney.

Terrigal is a nice spot but Avoca or Macmasters are even better.
I wouldnt say the night life is anything special, but the hotel in Terrigal has decent bands on and your not too far from sydney for a big night out.

on the commute:
Terrigal to north Syd by car = 60-80 min
Gosford to North Syd by train=40min
ferry to palm beach Syd=20min
Terrigal to newcastle 80+min

Gosford to North Sydney is actually about 1hr 20 mins by train. I wish it was 40 mins as I would get almost 1.5 hours of my day back to spend with my family!!
Old May 24th 2010, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

oz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud ofoz miller man has much to be proud of

wow, i didnt think it was such a journey by train.

I always did the drive as i needed the work van, but i had a mate who did the train every day and said it was loads quicker, mind you i think he worked in Hornsby.
The wife worked at mona vale on the northern beaches and would get the ferry to palm beach then the bus, saved her almost 40 mins and the hassle of driving.

I must say i used to hate working in Sydney, the highway bit was fine it`s just the getting from A to B once your in the city thats the killer.

Still, i do think the central coast is the best/affordable coastal area to live near sydney.
before Avoca we lived in Narrabeen and Newport, great place but very expensive compared to what you can get (rent) on the coast and still a pain to drive into the city

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.