Perth maybe

Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth maybe

Originally Posted by jackieh23
A perfect summer home set up in Perth would be a pool, evap, reverse cycle and the income to pay the electricity bills generated!
Hi jackieh23, for me a perfect summer home would not be in Perth but somewhere down south on the coast or even better, somewhere in Dorset, Devon or Cornwall. Either way, needs loads of $$$$.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bitzenpces
Hi jackieh23, for me a perfect summer home would not be in Perth but somewhere down south on the coast or even better, somewhere in Dorset, Devon or Cornwall. Either way, needs loads of $$$$.
You missed the point " perfect summer home set up in Perth." Maybe I should have said for Perth rather than in...

Even further down south, you need air con.

And I couldn't hack an English summer...
Old Nov 19th 2013, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brits1
I would not want to spend $650 on Padbury no offence meant I just found it to hit and miss and I know while $650 was a good amount 3+years ago it might not be the same in today's market. Not sure on the prices now but Duncraig, Carine, North Perth,Floreat, Woodlands and Mt.Lawley,Leederville Churchlands were all good areas with character ie pavements either side of the road, Deli's, Cafe's and near to shops as well as Shopping Centres and also near to the City. You don't really have to worry about snakes in Suburbia its too built up and snakes dont like noise, we bought our pet (a dog) in Aus and never had a problem just vaccinations and heartworm tablets. Good luck
Have to agree - $650K doesn't buy you much in Perth if you are looking for a house rather than an apartment in a good suburb with good schools. Houses in Mount Lawley, Duncraig and Floreat sell for a $1 million plus at the lower.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kips
Have to agree - $650K doesn't buy you much in Perth if you are looking for a house rather than an apartment in a good suburb with good schools. Houses in Mount Lawley, Duncraig and Floreat sell for a $1 million plus at the lower.

I suppose we were lucky we migrated to Perth when we did. I could not live in Perth without the very least Aircon we were lucky we had a swimming pool and reverse Aircon (very expensive to run though and I did not like it) honestly I would seriously have to consider migration if I could not afford to have and pay for those essentials (of course a swimming pool is a bonus point but not one I would miss) its like living in the UK without central heating. I have just googled (first time) my old home and next door's (much smaller than ours) sold in Sept for 140,000!!!!!!!!!!!! more than we sold ours......seriously some people must be making small fortunes as I know just how "little" our neighbours home/land cost to build 3.5 (ish) years ago!!!!!!
Old Nov 19th 2013, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

bitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond reputebitzenpces has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackieh23
You missed the point " perfect summer home set up in Perth." Maybe I should have said for Perth rather than in...

Even further down south, you need air con.

And I couldn't hack an English summer...
No, but perhaps you missed my point, as I don't think that there is such a thing as a perfect summer home in Perth, because I don't think that it's a perfect place to spend summer. It is cooler down south, so even less need for aircon. I'll take an English summer any day over this fan-forced oven variety.
Old Nov 20th 2013, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

No, but perhaps you missed my point, as I don't think that there is such a thing as a perfect summer home in Perth, because I don't think that it's a perfect place to spend summer. It is cooler down south, so even less need for aircon. I'll take an English summer any day over this fan-forced oven variety.
I honestly enjoyed the Winter, Autum and Spring in Perth but did not enjoy the summer its way to hot, we also use to head down south just to get away from the heat, I enjoyed Margaret River, Denmark etc all nice and a lot greener that time of year, I do much prefer the Summer's here in the UK (yep even with the rain lol)
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Try not to panic about snakes, there are millions of people living here who will probably never see one their whole lives, especially city-dwellers. The chances of seeing one will be remote, but not impossible, just be vigilant. There are a lot of parks/reserves scattered throughout in the city where they will be plentiful, but generally hiding away from scary humans. You wouldn't want to go wandering off the paths in Kings Park into the shrubbery for instance! Also avoid the bushy areas in the sand dunes at beaches. But lots of people always about means you are unlikely to encounter one, the snakes are too scared to venture where there are lots of humans. With residential development encroaching on their habitat, there will always be the odd one that gets lost in suburbia, just like the odd kangaroo that might go bouncing up the street.

You should take a few precautions, wherever you live. More so in rural areas obviously, but also in the city. Keep your garden neat and tidy (no long grass) and don't leave old things lying around where a snake could hide. Never reach in under shrubs with your bare hands, poke around with a rake first. Wear thick gloves when handling bricks (in case of a spider hiding). We always have flyscreen screens closed on windows and doors which are left open, would hate for a snake to slither indoors. If you want a pet rabbit, don't buy rabbit food in bulk and store in the shed; this will attract mice, which will attract snakes.

Make sure everyone knows first aid procedures for snake bites (and spider bites), look on the St John website. And keep the phone number for your local snake catcher handy (it will probably be available via the local council). Don't go wandering through long grass wearing flip-flops, like the two people who were bitten last week accidently stepping on snakes!

Yes it was sad that my dog died, and I wasn't too chuffed to find another snake in the shed a few weeks after, but I am on 5 acres and it's to be expected. My daughter has just spent the last 3 years living on campus at uni in Perth, never saw any snakes and generally didn't worry about them. My other daughter now lives in Perth and doesn't let it worry her either, apart from just being careful when gardening. My son worries more about spiders in his job fitting tyres, and is a bit cautious feeling around up inside the wheel arches.

Aussies have a laugh at us Poms scared of spiders and snakes - but wait until you see a wasp enter the room! Ha, that really freaks them out!
Old Nov 21st 2013, 1:44 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot to add IN MY OPINION to the majority of that post.
Old Nov 21st 2013, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by northernbird
You forgot to add IN MY OPINION to the majority of that post.
I would have thought it was obvious, or do you think every single post by everyone should contain that disclaimer?
Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Chan29King is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Neil

Sorry couldn't work out how to private message u as says I can't but my husband is a mechanic looking for work in Perth and needing some help to work out the best way of getting over there. You seem to know Lots about oz!
Any chance you could email him .. <<address removed>>

Thanks

And once again sorry for contacting you this way :-)

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 21st 2013 at 9:02 pm. Reason: emails can be sent via your personal profile
Old Nov 21st 2013, 9:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chan29King
Hi Neil

Sorry couldn't work out how to private message u as says I can't but my husband is a mechanic looking for work in Perth and needing some help to work out the best way of getting over there. You seem to know Lots about oz!
Any chance you could email him .. <<address removed>>

Thanks

And once again sorry for contacting you this way :-)
Not sure who you are responding to, but you can access the private message system once you have 3 posts. To email someone click on their username and f they accept emails you will see it listed there. For privacy reasons we don't encourage emai addresse on the open forum.

If you are looking at migrating to Aus, the place for basic into is www.immi.gov.au to see if you qualify for a visa
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 4:18 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't think twice about snakes unless you're out in the bush. When I first moved from Far North Queensland I gardened in big wellies and gloves to me armpits and people thought I was bonkers as I was used to snakes, huntsmen and cane toads. Perth is very tame.

$550 isn't much money to buy with in Perth - it's probably the most pricey place in Australia imo. It's expensive here if you want to live anywhere salubrious. There are cheaper outer suburbs but they can be quite bland in my opinion - it might be worth looking at Guildford, Bassendean type places? They aren't too expensive and still have character. I also wouldn't be too worried about a pool. It gets very cold here and stormy through winter and then in summer the flies (and mozzies) can be pretty relentless. Why not compromise and look at a nice outdoor spa bath? I'd insist on air conditioning - it can be very hot here in summer. It's expensive though so go carefully!

There's plenty of outdoors space and the beaches are great. There are lots of outdoor facilities.

Last edited by Turban Explorer; Nov 22nd 2013 at 4:23 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 5:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't touch another pool with a badge pole. Hard work to maintain and expensive these days. Besides not having one will make you less house bound. You get down to the beach more and out and about.

Unless living further out I don't see $550,000 going very far. We have some of the most over valued real estate in the world here in Perth.
From what you described something in the range of $800,000 sounds more appropriate. Unless you settle for less like a town house or move much further out.
Old Nov 24th 2013, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
There are cheaper outer suburbs but they can be quite bland in my opinion - it might be worth looking at Guildford, Bassendean type places? They aren't too expensive and still have character.
I like the older buildings and character of Guildford, but am not familiar with Bassendean. My main concern about suburbs around Guildford is aircraft noise - some are very bothered by this, others not. Perth airports do not have a night-time curfew, so you have jumbo jets and other planes taking off and landing throughout the night, as well as all day long.

I was visiting someone in these areas and we were sitting outside while the kids were playing in the pool. Not only could I wave to the pilot, but I could smell his duty-free aftershave.

Always worth looking into crime rates and any incidences on train lines (Midland in this case).
Old Nov 26th 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

I like the older buildings and character of Guildford, but am not familiar with Bassendean. My main concern about suburbs around Guildford is aircraft noise - some are very bothered by this, others not. Perth airports do not have a night-time curfew, so you have jumbo jets and other planes taking off and landing throughout the night, as well as all day long.

I was visiting someone in these areas and we were sitting outside while the kids were playing in the pool. Not only could I wave to the pilot, but I could smell his duty-free aftershave.

Always worth looking into crime rates and any incidences on train lines (Midland in this case).
Guildford has some lovely character buildings and quite near to the Midland Shopping Centre but as you say it is on the Flight Path. Honestly though I cannot believe the price of homes now in Perth, even certain areas that were always much,much cheaper than the "popular suburbs" are now in the $550+ price range, on the plus side of things it might help bring these area's "up" but how can the youngsters etc afford homes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.