Perth in July

Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Perth in July

Hi
I will be visiting Perth later this year and my only option is July or August - so I am assuming I will be hitting mid winter.

Only got a vague idea of itinerary so far, but thought about flying up to the north of WA and spending a week in Margaret River also. Is the climate very different in the north, ie warmer and drier.

So for those who know the area and climate, is it worth visiting at that time or should I postpone it a year when I will have more choice of flying times.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:50 am
Just Joined

WestcliffHigh will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Perth in July

Originally Posted by montgomail
Hi
I will be visiting Perth later this year and my only option is July or August - so I am assuming I will be hitting mid winter.

Only got a vague idea of itinerary so far, but thought about flying up to the north of WA and spending a week in Margaret River also. Is the climate very different in the north, ie warmer and drier.

So for those who know the area and climate, is it worth visiting at that time or should I postpone it a year when I will have more choice of flying times.
In these months there is a mass exodus of 'grey nomads' heading north to avoid the rain , caravan sites are normally fully booked .
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Hi

I'm looking forward to July because it will be nice and cool here in Perth and being pregnant I am looking forward to having a baby and feeling comfortable for a few months (sleep deprived but not too hot for pregnancy of feeding etc). I have put off guests from coming in July because I think a lot of the things you do for free can't be done in the Perth area. Saying that I've know us to be able to do lots its the rain that isn't guaranteed. Just my opinion. I don't know what it is like up North.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Any more comments would be welcome. I am really unsure about making this trip at this time of year.

It will be my first trip to Australia and I am half considering postponing it for a year or two when I can visit in better weather.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 12:12 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys. Any more comments would be welcome. I am really unsure about making this trip at this time of year.

It will be my first trip to Australia and I am half considering postponing it for a year or two when I can visit in better weather.
July/August are not really the best time of year to be here. It's cool and rainy for the most part. If I were to come for my one and only visit I would do it in October/November when it's drier and a little warmer, but not yet hot.

My husband travels up north on business a lot and he says it's warmer than here in Perth. Some of the places he recommended we go were Broome (pearls) and up to the very far north Kunnunura area. Of course you'll have to fly wherever you go, as from Perth to Broome is thousands of kms away.

Let me know when you're coming over and I'll give you more up to date information then. I'll also get the old man to pick up some info on northern stuff to do next time he's up there.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dorothy
July/August are not really the best time of year to be here. It's cool and rainy for the most part. If I were to come for my one and only visit I would do it in October/November when it's drier and a little warmer, but not yet hot.

My husband travels up north on business a lot and he says it's warmer than here in Perth. Some of the places he recommended we go were Broome (pearls) and up to the very far north Kunnunura area. Of course you'll have to fly wherever you go, as from Perth to Broome is thousands of kms away.

Let me know when you're coming over and I'll give you more up to date information then. I'll also get the old man to pick up some info on northern stuff to do next time he's up there.
Thanks for the advice. At the moment, my job dictates I will have to visit in July or August but I am holding fire as my job may change in the next month. Based on what you've said, if my only choice is July then I will go ahead with the trip but spend more time up the north. I intend to visit friends in Margaret River too so probably wont spend much time in Perth itself.

Once I know what I am doing I may PM you for some info on the towns up north. Have done little research so far, as there have been so many things conspiring against this trip. It is now looking quite likely though.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:27 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice. At the moment, my job dictates I will have to visit in July or August but I am holding fire as my job may change in the next month. Based on what you've said, if my only choice is July then I will go ahead with the trip but spend more time up the north. I intend to visit friends in Margaret River too so probably wont spend much time in Perth itself.

Once I know what I am doing I may PM you for some info on the towns up north. Have done little research so far, as there have been so many things conspiring against this trip. It is now looking quite likely though.
Margaret River is down south a bit, so it is likely to be colder down there at that time of year. It is lovely, though. Lots of wineries if you like that sort of thing.

Feel free to PM. And when in Perth do let me know and I'll be happy to take you out for a coffee and show you some of the sights here.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

If you come in the winter it will be very similier to your normal grey english days. You wont really get a feel for what australia is like the rest of the year, you will see a lot of rain as well.
If I were you I would wait and try to come in the spring or towards the end of the summer here and you will get a different impression than coming inthe grey rainey winter
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret River is down south a bit, so it is likely to be colder down there at that time of year. It is lovely, though. Lots of wineries if you like that sort of thing.

Feel free to PM. And when in Perth do let me know and I'll be happy to take you out for a coffee and show you some of the sights here.
The trip to Margaret River is to see a close friend although I know it is a lovely area, so the weather would be immaterial (up to a point). Will let you know when I've made a decision - thanks for the offer of coffee, it may happen yet.

Originally Posted by dave99
If you come in the winter it will be very similier to your normal grey english days. You wont really get a feel for what australia is like the rest of the year, you will see a lot of rain as well.
If I were you I would wait and try to come in the spring or towards the end of the summer here and you will get a different impression than coming inthe grey rainey winter

I had imagined it to be a bit like the med in winter in that you could expect a mix of cool daytime temps, every chance of rain and cold at night. Have to say grey weather does not appeal!
Old Feb 9th 2009, 1:48 pm
Still alive

Sorry, but it rains a LOT in July and August. Not a fine misty kind of rain, but when the winds blow in off the ocean it's a hard horizontal kind of rain.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, but it rains a LOT in July and August. Not a fine misty kind of rain, but when the winds blow in off the ocean it's a hard horizontal kind of rain.
That is bad news but it is why I posted. I can google all I like, but I would like to hear how it is from people that live there. Appreciate that.
Old Feb 9th 2009, 8:13 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

That is bad news but it is why I posted. I can google all I like, but I would like to hear how it is from people that live there. Appreciate that.
On paper Perth gets more annual rainfall than Manchester, all condensed into a shorter period of time. When Dorothy says it rains, it RAINS! I arrived in winter 2005 and during my first month there were only 2 days when it didn't piss down!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 4:18 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

The trip to Margaret River is to see a close friend although I know it is a lovely area, so the weather would be immaterial (up to a point). Will let you know when I've made a decision - thanks for the offer of coffee, it may happen yet.

I had imagined it to be a bit like the med in winter in that you could expect a mix of cool daytime temps, every chance of rain and cold at night. Have to say grey weather does not appeal!
Have a look here http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...1.200807.shtml
it will give you an idea of what the weather did in July last year.
You do get clear days when there's no rain and its up in the high teens in the day and drops to 4 or 5 at night.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
On paper Perth gets more annual rainfall than Manchester, all condensed into a shorter period of time. When Dorothy says it rains, it RAINS! I arrived in winter 2005 and during my first month there were only 2 days when it didn't piss down!
Originally Posted by steve99
Have a look here http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/20...1.200807.shtml
it will give you an idea of what the weather did in July last year.
You do get clear days when there's no rain and its up in the high teens in the day and drops to 4 or 5 at night.
So it looks like I will need to pack my waterproof! Daytime temperatures seem reasonable though, especially as we are experiencing sub zero here in the UK. Schools and colleges been closed for days.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:17 pm
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Bump ..

IMO, April/May are the best months to visit Perth, nice sunny days without it being too hot, can't comment on the Northern areas as I haven't been.

When you are here, let me know & we will meet up for a vino or two ..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.