Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth House Prices Cooling?

Perth House Prices Cooling?

Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Perth House Prices Cooling?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That does not include interstate migrants. In the office I work in there are loads of guys who have come over from Melbourne & Queensland (understandable really).
had another look at interstate migration. For 2005, the "net" interstate migration figures into WA are about 2,000 according to the ABS. The masses are still moving to QLD although construction has slowed down over there in 2006.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
I would not dare to make any comments on wages because it varies greatly. My hubby, electrician earns around the $50k mark, my neighbour, previously a chef, works as a car sales person in the right area (Mandurah - population growth) earns about $65, a newly arrived IT person I know earns about $65 too.

If my hubby would lift his backside he could earn more but he can't be bothered, he has no kids (my second husband), debt free so why worry and change the comfort zone (his view not mine).

If you come to Perth with some sort of money from a previous house sale you are ok most probably.

However, I do not only measure my life on what sort of house I can effort. Having the most beautiful house in Perth still doesn't make Perth more attractive to me than an average house on the east coast. I believe I have more choices on the east coast in terms of scenery, places to go, food variety etc.

I just remember Bill Bryson's book "Down Under". Out of the 394 pages he managed to write 5 pages about Perth, of which 4 were about Lang Hancock. That does say a bit to me.

Perth is fine, but has nothing that you can't have elsewhere in Australia (except the sunset).

My eldest is a second year electrician, he earns 1000 some weeks with overtime and hes not even qualified, so that does seem low. Thats not outback/mining its mainly brisbane and the coast. However hes got on with a very good company I think there were 600 odd applicants for 20 jobs :
Old Aug 14th 2006, 3:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

you are right. However i don't call them migrants (just my view).

Understandable? Not so sure about that. Living in isolation? Paying rediculous house/land prices?

When I came to Perth, 9 years ago, I felt it was a bargain coming here although work was not so easy to get. Today, if I were an Aussie living on the east coast, having work, never in my life I would come to Perth. Perth has nothing what I can't have on the east coast.

There is nothing really bad about Perth but working my backside off to pay for a overpriced roof over my head which is on a 400sqm block in legoland (love this expression), where there is not even space for a tree in my backyard?

Just my view.
I read recently that 30 families a day are moving to Perth, overseas & interstate. which is way less than 8000.
I don't get the isolation story. Never have, never will. We live in a jet age, internet, voip etc. I've booked a return to Sydney for $400 on Qantas. No big deal. We're closer to Europe & Africa by 5 hours.
I don't really give a shit about most of the east coast. I think SE Qld is a craphole, same for Sydney. The only other places I would consider living is rural Victoria or northern Qld.
I also cannot understand why people would choose to live on 400sqm in Legoland/Colorbond hell. I live in the hills, semi-rural, 2500sqm, 4x2 for the same price as these shitboxes in places like Secret Harbour or Brighton.
I earn more here than I could anywhere else in Australia & by a big margin. For me Perth offers one of the best combinations of good income, ability to spend it & lifestyle available on this planet.

It's all good.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

I read recently that 30 families a day are moving to Perth, overseas & interstate. which is way less than 8000.
I don't get the isolation story. Never have, never will. We live in a jet age, internet, voip etc. I've booked a return to Sydney for $400 on Qantas. No big deal. We're closer to Europe & Africa by 5 hours.
I don't really give a shit about most of the east coast. I think SE Qld is a craphole, same for Sydney. The only other places I would consider living is rural Victoria or northern Qld.
I also cannot understand why people would choose to live on 400sqm in Legoland/Colorbond hell. I live in the hills, semi-rural, 2500sqm, 4x2 for the same price as these shitboxes in places like Secret Harbour or Brighton.
I earn more here than I could anywhere else in Australia & by a big margin. For me Perth offers one of the best combinations of good income, ability to spend it & lifestyle available on this planet.

It's all good.
lucky you that you don't have to live in a shitbox as you call it.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 5:26 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I know.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Have to be honest, I've got a lot of time for Amazulu. If more migrants thought a bit more like he did, more would be happy. I can see where he comes from.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 5:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Have to be honest, I've got a lot of time for Amazulu. If more migrants thought a bit more like he did, more would be happy. I can see where he comes from.
Why, thank you. So many immigrants swap legoland Barrett home estates for legoland Dale Alcock estates. Just because it's 10 minutes from the beach doesn't make it any nicer. This country offers the ability to have a fantastic standard of living close to nature & away from the ratrace. It does not necessarily coat any more & quite often costs less. Thing is 70% of the people here choose to live otherwise. Bizarre.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:01 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Why, thank you. So many immigrants swap legoland Barrett home estates for legoland Dale Alcock estates. Just because it's 10 minutes from the beach doesn't make it any nicer. This country offers the ability to have a fantastic standard of living close to nature & away from the ratrace. It does not necessarily coat any more & quite often costs less. Thing is 70% of the people here choose to live otherwise. Bizarre.
You have to bear in mind that not everyone likes the same things in life and not everyone needs the same things to be happy. The last home we owned in the UK was in the country and on a large piece of land, this is what we wanted at the time but not now, we live in what i'm sure you would term a shitbox but it is great for our needs at the moment, we don;t have to spend time maintianing an okder property or maintining the block as we did in our old house.

It's not what everyone would want but it's right for our family at the stage we are at just now. Much as i love visiting the hills, personally it's not for me.

Lynn
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by movetoperth
You have to bear in mind that not everyone likes the same things in life and not everyone needs the same things to be happy. The last home we owned in the UK was in the country and on a large piece of land, this is what we wanted at the time but not now, we live in what i'm sure you would term a shitbox but it is great for our needs at the moment, we don;t have to spend time maintianing an okder property or maintining the block as we did in our old house.

It's not what everyone would want but it's right for our family at the stage we are at just now. Much as i love visiting the hills, personally it's not for me.

Lynn
Sure. Everyone has their idea of what they want. That's why 70% of Australia lives in Legoland & the rest don't.

Each to their own.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth

Lynn
I agree. Some people like the early sea breeze in summer, walking on the beach every day, and not having to worry about bush fires.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Sure. Everyone has their idea of what they want. That's why 70% of Australia lives in Legoland & the rest don't.

Each to their own.

Each to their own indeed, but why do you have to be so insulting towards other people's choices?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:18 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
I agree. Some people like the early sea breeze in summer, walking on the beach every day, and not having to worry about bush fires.
Personally, I'd leave Ocean Reef for some acerage in the hills, maybe a stable for the girls to keep ponies, fruit trees etc... BUT the bushfire thing would be a concern.

I've been in a few bushfires and it aint pretty, in fact my first "big one" when the fire was roaring up the hill I was at the top of was the most terrified I've ever been. When my crew leader went down after inhaling a burning ember I was convinced I was about to die, in a horrible way.

I'd hate to be in the same situation with my wife and kids.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by renth
Personally, I'd leave Ocean Reef for some acerage in the hills, maybe a stable for the girls to keep ponies, fruit trees etc... BUT the bushfire thing would be a concern.

I've been in a few bushfires and it aint pretty, in fact my first "big one" when the fire was roaring up the hill I was at the top of was the most terrified I've ever been. When my crew leader went down after inhaling a burning ember I was convinced I was about to die, in a horrible way.

Sounds horrific. Is he okay? How did you avoid being toasted?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Exile
Each to their own indeed, but why do you have to be so insulting towards other people's choices?
Exactly. I'm not being insulting. Don't be so sensitive. Debate the issue instead.
Old Aug 14th 2006, 6:27 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth

At least you would have a better idea than most of what you are likely to encounter and could consider such a move fully aware of what's involved.

A couple of years back we were up at my cousins a couple of days after a particularly nasty one had threatened their area, they were set to stay whereas their elderly neighbours were set to go, the cat spent 2 days in a basket ready to be thrown in the car if they had to go. I was amazed at the ash that was everywhere, even though they were never close enough to have to make the call on what to do the ash throughout the house was unbelievable, in the past they have had to replce carpets and redocorate just to get rid of the smell of smoke.

They too don't much like where we live but have said that the fire threat seems more worrying for them now that it did in the past, but i think they put that down to getting older

Lynn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.