Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth Help Please !!!!

Perth Help Please !!!!

Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:07 am
seen George Michael !!

Bill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really nice
Default Perth Help Please !!!!

Hi There,
first time post, we are a family of 4 about to move to Perth to take up a job offer with Bunnings,just waiting for the final sign off. We currently live in a small village called Thornhill Dumfriesshire,just had -20c and lots of snow,so cant wait for the change,looking at Connelly areas or a bit further North.Daughter is 5 years old and son is 19. Any help or directions on house renatls would be very appreciated, hoping to make lots new contacts soon
Bill
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth Help Please !!!!

Hi Bill, just to give us a bit more of an idea, whereabouts will your Bunnings job be based? What sort of work does your son do, or does he intend to do some studying here?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:22 am
seen George Michael !!

Bill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really niceBill Frame is just really nice

Originally Posted by HelenTD
Hi Bill, just to give us a bit more of an idea, whereabouts will your Bunnings job be based? What sort of work does your son do, or does he intend to do some studying here?
Hi the store has yet to be signed off yet but hoping around the Jondalup area, Toby is waiting to go in to the navy so I think it will be a short term stay with us
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Job offer from Bunnings! How on earth did you manage to secure that? What's the job title?

Good luck with your move
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bill, there are 3 main real estate websites to use for renting or buying property:

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent
http://www.reiwa.com.au
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Choo...=rent&state=WA

You used to be able to search by local government area on reiwa, but they seem to have changed their website, so that you need to know the names of suburbs first. It would probably be easier to use the domain website at the moment, as you can search by region. In your case, select Perth Region - Northern suburbs, or North Region - Northern suburbs. Try to stay west of Wanneroo Road, better still would be west of the Mitchell Freeway, best of all west of Marmion Avenue. These are all main roads that run in a north-south direction. The local government areas you're looking at are City of Joondalup http://profile.id.com.au/Default.asp...d=10&type=enum and City of Wanneroo http://profile.id.com.au/Default.asp...d=10&type=enum

Coming from a Scottish village, it will be a big change for you coming to suburbs in the city. There's lots to choose from and there are quite a few members who live near Joondalup and I'm sure they'll be on here to help out as well. Currumbine, Connolly, Butler, Kinross are all suburbs with BE members.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:36 pm
seen George Michael !!

Originally Posted by sunbather
Job offer from Bunnings! How on earth did you manage to secure that? What's the job title?

Good luck with your move
Hi Long story started in May 2010 with a phone call oput of the blue from an agency, but then the trail went cold until another phone call in Sept from a local Australian agency, the role is Complex Manager really looking forward to it,had 3 in iterviews and a meeting in London !!!

would be keen to have some honest customer feedback on their service,range and pricing
thanks in advance Bill
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:38 pm
seen George Michael !!

Hi Bill, there are 3 main real estate websites to use for renting or buying property:

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent
http://www.reiwa.com.au
http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Choo...=rent&state=WA

You used to be able to search by local government area on reiwa, but they seem to have changed their website, so that you need to know the names of suburbs first. It would probably be easier to use the domain website at the moment, as you can search by region. In your case, select Perth Region - Northern suburbs, or North Region - Northern suburbs. Try to stay west of Wanneroo Road, better still would be west of the Mitchell Freeway, best of all west of Marmion Avenue. These are all main roads that run in a north-south direction. The local government areas you're looking at are City of Joondalup http://profile.id.com.au/Default.asp...d=10&type=enum and City of Wanneroo http://profile.id.com.au/Default.asp...d=10&type=enum

Coming from a Scottish village, it will be a big change for you coming to suburbs in the city. There's lots to choose from and there are quite a few members who live near Joondalup and I'm sure they'll be on here to help out as well. Currumbine, Connolly, Butler, Kinross are all suburbs with BE members.
Hi Helen thanks for the info, we have lived in Glasgow,Southampton,Portsmouth and Prestwick, I have worked all over the UK and Europe, but still think we will be daunted by the scale and the challange
thanks again
Bill
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bill Frame
would be keen to have some honest customer feedback on their service,range and pricing
thanks in advance Bill
Bunnings not known for any of the above. If you can improve these things, you'll be a very popular man in Perth.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 2:30 pm
seen George Michael !!

Bunnings not known for any of the above. If you can improve these things, you'll be a very popular man in Perth.

Well Ill give it my best shot !!! what do you think are the main problems
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bill Frame
Well Ill give it my best shot !!! what do you think are the main problems
Lack of choice and competition. Bunnings will match prices if another store is offering that product at a lower price, but as Bunnings are so big, no one else can really compete. Indifferent customer service. They sell low quality products that aren't tough enough for the conditions here. I remember someone (? someone on BE - search for Bunnings) complaining about how their outdoor table/chairs didn't last but when they went back to Bunnings, they were told that the set wasn't meant to be outdoors! About 6 or so years ago, a competitor set up in Perth, I think they were called BBC Hardware - they were pretty good, sold all sorts of kitchen equipment as well as different type of hardware stuff. This was too much for Bunnings - they took over the group, thereby wiping out the competition.

Shopping in Perth can be very frustrating. If one more shop assistant tells me "We haven't got any more xxxxx, we only get what the eastern states send us", I'll You'll see what I mean when you get here ...
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in a couple of times and the staff have been very helpful, showed me where things are and offered advice. No problems at all.

We were expecting a Homebase or a B&Q and it ain't that. It is like a warehouse. Could do with a nice makeover.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:09 pm
native West Aussie

Genevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant futureGenevieve has a brilliant future

Bill, are you looking for a short term rental for when you get here, or for info on longer term rentals?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I have been here 6 years almost and never had a problem with Bunnings. We still have the $200 BBQ we bought on arrival and many other things are still going strong. There isn't much competition generally in Australia and Bunnings do have the market cornered. We have another small hardware store in Joondalup but nowhere near as big or as varied in range as Bunnings.

As for location, I live in Connolly and love the suburb. It isn't everyones cup of tea as the houses are older and a lot of newly arrived migrants like shiny new houses in shiny new suburbs which isn't my cup of tea. Connolly has an excellent primary school but the suburb is divided down the middle with regards to high school. Half to Ocean Reef SHS and half to Belridge SHS. Belridge SHS does not enjoy the best of reputations and its results speak for themselves. Ocean Reef SHS has improved a lot over the past few years after the addition of a new Principal.

Connolly is well located to give good access to public and road transport and is close to shopping centres and the beach.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 6:03 pm
seen George Michael !!

Originally Posted by northernbird
I have been here 6 years almost and never had a problem with Bunnings. We still have the $200 BBQ we bought on arrival and many other things are still going strong. There isn't much competition generally in Australia and Bunnings do have the market cornered. We have another small hardware store in Joondalup but nowhere near as big or as varied in range as Bunnings.

As for location, I live in Connolly and love the suburb. It isn't everyones cup of tea as the houses are older and a lot of newly arrived migrants like shiny new houses in shiny new suburbs which isn't my cup of tea. Connolly has an excellent primary school but the suburb is divided down the middle with regards to high school. Half to Ocean Reef SHS and half to Belridge SHS. Belridge SHS does not enjoy the best of reputations and its results speak for themselves. Ocean Reef SHS has improved a lot over the past few years after the addition of a new Principal.

Connolly is well located to give good access to public and road transport and is close to shopping centres and the beach.

Hope that helps.
Hi thats a great help, are the mossies much of an issue in Connolly
thanks
Bill
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all
Default It's a small world

Hi Bill. it's a small world. I've just returned from Perth where I sent Bunnings an email to enquire if they had any vacancies for Uk citizens using an I475 visa.
I got a reply really quickly and 2 interviews within a week during the Christmass period. They are now looking for references from the Uk so fingers crossed.

I would put them on a par with b&q as far as products are concerned and I found the staff to be very friendly.

I would be interested in the visa process you went through so I know what to expect and to know from what sort of background you came from when applying for the job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.