Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Fremantle ???

Perth or Fremantle ???

Old Jun 29th 2008, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perth or Fremantle ???

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Freo received city status in 1929. The fact that it now falls under the Perth Metropolitan area is irrelevant; this does not make it a suburb.

You can call it "technically a suburb" if you like, but this does not change the fact that it is a city port.
Ok, so we’ll just call it a city surrounded by Perth suburbs and a bit of water, using the Perth transport system, Perth taxis, oh and it’s even the port for Perth.

Lots of suburbs have city status, but the way you are describing Fremantle is making it seem like it is a completely separated city from Perth – Like Sydney and Newcastle or something. Which is not the case, Fremantle is a part of Perth, infact the majority people who live in Fremantle work in the Perth CBD, when people come on cruise ships to Perth, where do they dock? Fremantle, why? Because it’s the port for Perth.

The original poster could easily live in one or the other and commute no problem to each, infact their commute time would be less than the average Perth commute, such as Joondalup to Perth.

To the original poster, for a young backpacker, I’d recommend Fremantle over Perth CBD (the whole state of WA is dull and boring, but if I had to pick one it would be Fremantle) but when I was living there and had friends come from overseas on the WHV they much preferred Fremantle, it just has a better feel than the Perth CBD, Perth is mainly offices and the second it hits 5pm it shuts down, Fremantle is full of cafes, bars, clubs and is always busy and has a buzz. You will easily get a place to share with other backpackers, or there are always plenty of hostels.

Mikey
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

divaboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I live in Freo and don't have a car.

It takes me less than an hour to commute to the CBD from door to door and I find the train system perfectly acceptable and the journey far more enjoyable than I ever did in London.

It costs me $30 a week to travel in (used to cost me about £40 in London) and we also enjoy the free CAT bus in Freo which stops outside our house - handy when you have shopping.

Freo seems to be a place that rarely if ever sleeps and there is usually somewhere open or something going on - it (for me) has a continuous 'buzz' about it which I love.

We have a few backpacker hostels there, some nice cheap places to eat and there is always something to do.

And you are not too far from the CBD should you want to go there.

If I can help in any way let me know, I can see if I can get the names of the hostels if you like.
That wouuld be great if you could get some names of the better hostels....

Also since you live there is work relatively easy to come by, bar work etc ??

I know Feb09 is along way away but these things have a habit of creeping on you and I like to be organized

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
To the original poster, for a young backpacker, I’d recommend Fremantle over Perth CBD (the whole state of WA is dull and boring, but if I had to pick one it would be Fremantle) but when I was living there and had friends come from overseas on the WHV they much preferred Fremantle, it just has a better feel than the Perth CBD, Perth is mainly offices and the second it hits 5pm it shuts down, Fremantle is full of cafes, bars, clubs and is always busy and has a buzz. You will easily get a place to share with other backpackers, or there are always plenty of hostels.
Mikey
I appreciate WA is quieter then other parts of Australia , but I figured WA would give me best chance to earn some money and find my feet. Then move up to Broome ,Kimberly region on onwards. Ok Freo is sounding more and more appealing. Isn't it funny i've asked a similar question over at lonely planet and they seem to edge Perth CBD , lifes never simple is it
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:54 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by divaboy
That wouuld be great if you could get some names of the better hostels....

Also since you live there is work relatively easy to come by, bar work etc ??

I know Feb09 is along way away but these things have a habit of creeping on you and I like to be organized

I appreciate WA is quieter then other parts of Australia , but I figured WA would give me best chance to earn some money and find my feet. Then move up to Broome ,Kimberly region on onwards. Ok Freo is sounding more and more appealing. Isn't it funny i've asked a similar question over at lonely planet and they seem to edge Perth CBD , lifes never simple is it

I see heaps of jobs advertised - catering/bar work but wouldnt know what criteria they are looking for but there does always seem to be something in various windows etc.

I shall make note of some hostels for you at some point today/tomorrow and post them. Book well in advance though. I don't know what they look like inside but they seem to be popular.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by divaboy

Oh you're going to love Broome.

You will probably also enjoy it much better in Fremantle than the CBD, mainly because you are a backpacker, and I assume looking for a fun, holiday type lifestyle while you are here, which is what you will get in Fremantle. If you go to the CBD, it’s just going to feel like every other city with 9-5.

Which ever you pick, enjoy and have fun.

Mikey
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:25 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Vash in that Freo has a very different and seperate feel from Perth and feels entirely sperate. I spent many a night running amok in Freo and its an awesome place, would pick it over Perth City in a heartbeat
Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:39 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I agree with Vash in that Freo has a very different and seperate feel from Perth and feels entirely sperate. I spent many a night running amok in Freo and its an awesome place, would pick it over Perth City in a heartbeat
Have to agree, Perth and Freo are two totally seperate places and Freo is defintely not a suburb of Perth, its a city in its own right.
Distance apart means nothing, look how many cities there are in the UK that would be closer than 20K away.
Ask any Freo resident if they class themselves as being from Perth and they'll say no Fremantle.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Phew thanks for all the replies. Given me lots to think about! Back to internet and somemore reading

If anyone else has some input or advice then please post

Thanks to you all again
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:34 pm
I'm a Perthie!

coffeedrinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Perth or Fremantle ???

Originally Posted by steve99
Ask any Freo resident if they class themselves as being from Perth and they'll say no Fremantle.
Totally agreed on that point.

I am a resident of Perth (Subiaco) but Fremantle in the psyche of Perth residents has always been seen as it's own entity.

I'm really a Freo girl, growing up just across the river from it, and spending my formative years and weekends hanging around the pubs, markets and stalls.

The Rivalry between footballs clubs runs deep along cultural and historical lines, with the football clubs diametrically opposed to each other. (Dockers Vs Eagles)

To the Original poster

Fares are two zones for an Adult, Perth to Fremantle and vice Versa. Get yourself a Transperth travel card which you fill up with credit so you can swipe in and out of stations etc, much easier and you don't need to worry about change when trying to figure out what you need.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker
SNIP
To the Original poster

Fares are two zones for an Adult, Perth to Fremantle and vice Versa. Get yourself a Transperth travel card which you fill up with credit so you can swipe in and out of stations etc, much easier and you don't need to worry about change when trying to figure out what you need.
Thanks for that little will remember that one
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:11 am
Account Closed

innojuk is an unknown quantity at this point

To the OP.

Get yourself a copy of Lonely Planet Guide to Australia it will give you all the info you need including where to stay.

There are loads of backpacker hostels all round Aus and I never found a bad one using the LP Guide
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice

I'm moving over from the UK to Perth (or Fremantle as it may turn out) in 18 days now...... this thread is pretty much confirming my ideas on trying to find a pad in Freo as opposed to Perth!
Though how does it compare to somewhere like Cottesloe or Subiaco?
I've heard all about this rental shortage.. how is that effecting things practically, am I going to struggle to find a place considering I'm willing to pay up to $350 pw for a studio or maybe $450-500 for a 2 bedder??

Cheers,

Amy
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 4:56 pm
I'm a Perthie!

coffeedrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amt383
I'm moving over from the UK to Perth (or Fremantle as it may turn out) in 18 days now...... this thread is pretty much confirming my ideas on trying to find a pad in Freo as opposed to Perth!
I've heard all about this rental shortage.. how is that effecting things practically, am I going to struggle to find a place considering I'm willing to pay up to $350 pw for a studio or maybe $450-500 for a 2 bedder??

Cheers,

Amy

My goodness, I could tell you how much of a hassle it is to rent - and it is.

Most small flats between Mosman Park - Subiaco average about 250 - 350 per week. We only pay 4 weeks bond, 2 weeks rent in advance, and usually an application fee of whatever the rent is for 1 week. Make sure you rent from a real estate agent first, you're safer and less likely to get ripped off.

Freo is more expensive, Cottesloe is ridiculously expensive. I've just moved to Subi from Mosman Park (next to Cottesloe) and I found a place for about $240 per week.

If you go to www.realestate.com.au and click on the blue section for rentals, you can do a search by bedroom size, rent, and postcode.

Fremantle postcode is 6160, Mosman Park 6012, Cottesloe 6011, Claremont, Swanbourne 6010, Nedlands, Dalkeith, Crawley, 6009, Subiaco 6008. All those suburbs are connected via either Stirling Highway going up from Freo to Perth, or the Train station from Freo to Perth.

Hope this info helps.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:25 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,

Amy
We pay $370 a week for a large two bedroom townhouse in Freo and we live near the tows (5 mins walk).
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:42 am
Just Joined

amt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really niceamt383 is just really nice

Oh... well $370 is definitely do-able!
How accurate are these stories of dozens of people turning up to open homes jostling for the contract then...!? I think I'd be gutted if I found an awesome place only to be rejected !!!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 12:59 am

Oh... well $370 is definitely do-able!
How accurate are these stories of dozens of people turning up to open homes jostling for the contract then...!? I think I'd be gutted if I found an awesome place only to be rejected !!!
There were about 10 people so I am told, applying for ours. We never even saw our house, only through the window as we hadn't planned to go with this agent.

I had a good feeling about it - we both did and the agent said they had the biggest influence as to who they advised the landlord should get it and they liked us.

I would not recommend going for a property that you hadn't seen before - we were just very lucky.

One thing I will say to you and that is have all of your documents ready. I gave them our police checks, our references - everything.

The agent also said not to offer 6 months rent in advance as 'dont give the landlords any more than they need. Although we did offer more rent as we were not working at the time.

There was no home open for us, the agent kindly drove us around Freo showing us places and the townhouse was out of our price range but she allowed us into the garden to peak through the window and we thought what the hell and applied.

So we had time to get to know the agent and build up some sort of rapport - something you can't do with a home open.

I do think having our documents and details ready to hand went in our favour.