Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City

Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City

Old Mar 5th 2018, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth From Dullsville to More Vibrant City

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Well that's just rude!
Or rather a compliment with the ripening over time which can only be illustrated in any profound sense by the passing of time.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
35 years ago ......

I wouldn't have said it was MK-worthy; certainly after the mining money came in. Biggest issue is the lack of different things to do, after you have been there a while. It's still relatively small and lacks destinations (Margaret River again), so you end up feeling isolated from what happens in the east. It, like many Australian cities, probably needs more attention to making itself a destination.
WA is a fantastic state with some great attractions, but I think one big problem is a lot of these attractions are (more or less) duplicated in the Eastern States, and Perth is not a big enough drawcard to get people out here.

If they want to tour a wine region, Eastern Staters are going to go to the Barossa Valley, the Coonawarra, or the area around Orange, not come all the way out to Margaret River or Mt Barker. Ditto for surfing, why come out this way when you can go up to the Gold Coast or any number of closer places along NSW and Vic. Foodies have Mildura and a host of other places too.

Urban vibe, they will go for Sydney or Melbourne, whichever they are not living in at the moment, no need to fly 4 hours out to Perth for that.

Ningaloo is wonderful but the Great Barrier Reef is more famous and easier to get to (including, arguably, for Perthies), and the Daintree is also there. Those out east who want to see the Outback more closely associate the NT to that than the Kimberley or Pilbara (even though Mt Augustus is much bigger than Uluru!).

There is, though, as GarryP pointed out, a mindset in Perth that "outside attractions" in the state are either Dunsborough/Margaret River or bust. I remember talking to a major executive from Perth who came to visit my little patch of the state last year, and he said the Perth jet-set were tired of Dunsborough but didn't feel there were any other alternatives - Albany being perceived as too far for a weekend trip, and a lack of suitable and reliable accommodation/restaurants in between also hurting the perception.

Dome Cafes is opening up a series of cafes and hotels in restored old buildings around the Great Southern and Wheatbelt - the Katanning location is opening soon, and Narrogin and Northam are not too far behind - which may help some, though I have a feeling the corporate contracts will grab up all the rooms rather than weekenders from Perth.

Anyways, interesting thread.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
WA is a fantastic state with some great attractions, but I think one big problem is a lot of these attractions are (more or less) duplicated in the Eastern States, and Perth is not a big enough drawcard to get people out here.

If they want to tour a wine region, Eastern Staters are going to go to the Barossa Valley, the Coonawarra, or the area around Orange, not come all the way out to Margaret River or Mt Barker. Ditto for surfing, why come out this way when you can go up to the Gold Coast or any number of closer places along NSW and Vic. Foodies have Mildura and a host of other places too.

Urban vibe, they will go for Sydney or Melbourne, whichever they are not living in at the moment, no need to fly 4 hours out to Perth for that.

Ningaloo is wonderful but the Great Barrier Reef is more famous and easier to get to (including, arguably, for Perthies), and the Daintree is also there. Those out east who want to see the Outback more closely associate the NT to that than the Kimberley or Pilbara (even though Mt Augustus is much bigger than Uluru!).

There is, though, as GarryP pointed out, a mindset in Perth that "outside attractions" in the state are either Dunsborough/Margaret River or bust. I remember talking to a major executive from Perth who came to visit my little patch of the state last year, and he said the Perth jet-set were tired of Dunsborough but didn't feel there were any other alternatives - Albany being perceived as too far for a weekend trip, and a lack of suitable and reliable accommodation/restaurants in between also hurting the perception.

Dome Cafes is opening up a series of cafes and hotels in restored old buildings around the Great Southern and Wheatbelt - the Katanning location is opening soon, and Narrogin and Northam are not too far behind - which may help some, though I have a feeling the corporate contracts will grab up all the rooms rather than weekenders from Perth.

Anyways, interesting thread.
Another quality post carcajou. Always impressed with your local WA knowledge which is spot on the mark, or illuminating as had no previous awareness on.

I don't quite get the Dunsborough over kill here. Although not been there for several years I know some that sort of swear by it. Margaret River likewise.
This would definitely be the biggest negative to living in Perth. The lack of nearby alternatives for a getaway. The East Coast certainly wins hands down on that aspect.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I couldn't get over how quiet many of the restaurants were tonight, a Wednesday in Leederville. Three had a reasonable client number, but the rest, one was empty, others two or three tables of clients only. Not sure how a business survives with only weekend trade. Beautiful night as well. Most barmy weather. Looked in the pubs, but few people as well. Nights like this I tend to miss the vibe of Europe. It may reflect the economic climate of the present time? People spending less.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 11:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I couldn't get over how quiet many of the restaurants were tonight, a Wednesday in Leederville. Three had a reasonable client number, but the rest, one was empty, others two or three tables of clients only. Not sure how a business survives with only weekend trade. Beautiful night as well. Most barmy weather. Looked in the pubs, but few people as well. Nights like this I tend to miss the vibe of Europe. It may reflect the economic climate of the present time? People spending less.
Wednesday in Herman world (aka Bizarroland). Tuesday in the rest of the known universe

There's your reason Herman
Old Mar 6th 2018, 12:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Wednesday in Herman world (aka Bizarroland). Tuesday in the rest of the known universe

Old Mar 6th 2018, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Glad it's Tuesday where you are as well as thought you would be living further in the past. Yes it is Tuesday you have something right. Probably doesn't matter in the scheme of things ....this Herman fellow obviously broke your heart. Nothing to do with me though.....
Old Mar 6th 2018, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Visited the City Link yesterday for the first time. Only opened a few days ago. It is right beside the newish bus station and has certainly improved the area.

I only had a quick look at the eating establishments operating there. No real opinion as of yet. They are billed as affordable eating in the city though.
Old Mar 6th 2018, 11:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Visited the City Link yesterday for the first time. Only opened a few days ago. It is right beside the newish bus station and has certainly improved the area.

I only had a quick look at the eating establishments operating there. No real opinion as of yet. They are billed as affordable eating in the city though.
The MRA website has lots of info for things to do and places to eat. There's a few in Yagan Square I'd like to try.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 3:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it's Tuesday where you are as well as thought you would be living further in the past. Yes it is Tuesday you have something right. Probably doesn't matter in the scheme of things ....this Herman fellow obviously broke your heart. Nothing to do with me though.....
That's you - Herman the German

Embrace your Herman the Germaness, Herman
Old Mar 7th 2018, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's you - Herman the German

Embrace your Herman the Germaness, Herman

Poor deluded soul must be too long out in those hills pining for your Herman. I keep telling you it is not me. But anyways hope you find a bloke to amuse yourself with in the not to distant future. Just don't get to stuck on the name Herman. Only make the task that much more difficult. If your looking for a German, try the German forum, as no native Germans that I know around here.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 7:33 am
Proudly Deplorable

Poor deluded soul must be too long out in those hills pining for your Herman. I keep telling you it is not me. But anyways hope you find a bloke to amuse yourself with in the not to distant future. Just don't get to stuck on the name Herman. Only make the task that much more difficult. If your looking for a German, try the German forum, as no native Germans that I know around here.
Herman the German

That's you that is
Old Mar 7th 2018, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Leederville a few weeks to take a client to lunch. Seemed like a pleasant place, one stop from the city, plenty of restaurants, but the place was dead. It was all geared up but no action.

It needed some vibrancy to fill all those restaurants. It needed population growth.
Old Mar 7th 2018, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Herman the German

That's you that is
Not sure if its Hill Billy lifestyle or the drugs your over indulging in or just a plain brain malfunction or all of the above.

At least I've contributed to shut you down for the most part from your over the top ideology which was tiresome to say the least.

Name calling just makes you sound a child/man like sicko. Especially when don't appear to possess the mind how dumb it sounds. Like a child......
Old Mar 7th 2018, 10:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful. Another decent thread ruined by the same shit being spouted by the same asshole. It's not a wonder the Australian forum is pretty much dead. Childish bullies with nothing better to say than name calling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.