Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast??

Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast??

Old Dec 16th 2009, 8:15 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth, Adelaide or the Sunshine Coast??

[The sea is too cold in Adelaide for beach life, in Perth its good for half a year, Sunshine Coast most the year. More Sharks in Adelaide and Perth too.
http://www.livingin-australia.com/se...ures-australia

I've never been to Perth or Adelaide, but they look fantastic in their own way.[/QUOTE]

Tell that to the thousands who flock to the gulf beaches , when the temp hits 39 c like today........i think those figures are wrong , the web site has no links to were the figures are taken .............mm
Old Dec 16th 2009, 12:05 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Will someone be working? Have you worked out which area would suit your employment the best? If you can't sort out the work aspect, the living aspect is kind of irrelevant.
Old Jan 1st 2010, 11:45 pm
Just Joined

EmmaKate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Will someone be working? Have you worked out which area would suit your employment the best? If you can't sort out the work aspect, the living aspect is kind of irrelevant.
Yes, we will be working. Del will work F/T and I currently contract and have a home business. Probably 6 months away from moving so plenty of time to do some more research. I think we'll come over from NZ for a recky of a couple of places around March.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 1:10 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaKate
Yes, we will be working. Del will work F/T and I currently contract and have a home business. Probably 6 months away from moving so plenty of time to do some more research. I think we'll come over from NZ for a recky of a couple of places around March.
I think what Moneypen was asking was will you be able to find work in your field? That's probably your most important first step, before weather, etc. You can't live on sunshine and beaches unfortunately.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think what Moneypen was asking was will you be able to find work in your field? That's probably your most important first step, before weather, etc. You can't live on sunshine and beaches unfortunately.
Yes. I have already researched work options. Fortunately I have an accounting and management background with more recent experience in marketing. This fortunately gives me many options. My partner is in hospitality which stands him in good stead too. The online business I run can obviously be run from any location so we are very fortunate. We are certainly not silly enough to take the plunge without ensuring we can survive!!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

Sirbla is an unknown quantity at this point

You should definitely look at Adelaide for many many reasons. As you have a young child you can't look much further. The city is big and in the CBD does have the feeling of a city but also has a relaxed and safe feeling in the suburbs. The Government here is spending a lot cementing Adelaide's place as the Education City. The house prices here are extremely low compared to anywhere else in Australia and it wont be any trouble finding a very inexpensive house. The beaches here are great as along the Gulf (as previously stated) are beautiful but calm for a young child. The threat of sharks is extremely low especially closer to the city. The weather here is comparable to Perth's with a hot summer and a mild winter. The city is also well known for its many festivals which just make the city even better. The Festival and Fringe are well-known around the country and the cycling "Tour down Under" and the V8 Clipsal 500 bring people in and revitalise the city. On the other hand the Sunshine Coast was a beautiful place but it is now less pretty due to a huge amount of people. The beaches are full compared to Adelaide's and there is a lack of community. Perth is nice enough but is more expensive and as Gems said, it is remote and if you wanted to travel to other states you must fly, and if you are returning to NZ, flying a quite long distance.

Good luck with your searching
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Good info on Adelaide - thanks! My other half has relations in Adelaide so I think we may pay them a visit. They are in Glengowrie which I think is 10 minutes from the beach and is on the main public transport route to the city. Sounds pretty positive.
Old Jan 5th 2010, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sirbla
You should definitely look at Adelaide for many many reasons. As you have a young child you can't look much further. The city is big and in the CBD does have the feeling of a city but also has a relaxed and safe feeling in the suburbs. The Government here is spending a lot cementing Adelaide's place as the Education City. The house prices here are extremely low compared to anywhere else in Australia and it wont be any trouble finding a very inexpensive house. The beaches here are great as along the Gulf (as previously stated) are beautiful but calm for a young child. The threat of sharks is extremely low especially closer to the city. The weather here is comparable to Perth's with a hot summer and a mild winter. The city is also well known for its many festivals which just make the city even better. The Festival and Fringe are well-known around the country and the cycling "Tour down Under" and the V8 Clipsal 500 bring people in and revitalise the city. On the other hand the Sunshine Coast was a beautiful place but it is now less pretty due to a huge amount of people. The beaches are full compared to Adelaide's and there is a lack of community. Perth is nice enough but is more expensive and as Gems said, it is remote and if you wanted to travel to other states you must fly, and if you are returning to NZ, flying a quite long distance.

Good luck with your searching
Whenever I have been to the Sunshine Coast I have been amazed at how empty the beaches are - unless you only go to the beaches the tourists visit.

As far as weather from what I can work out both Perth and Adelaide have proper winters where you would not go to the beach much. Sunshine Coast does not and you could potentially go to the beach all year round and even might get sunburned in the middle of winter - though the water will be too cold once you become a local

If you are happy with weather than makes going to the beach only really comfortable half of the year then Perth and Adelaide definitely sound worth a look though. Maybe Perth/Adelaide locals could confirm whether it is warm in winter (20c+) for beach going or not?