Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Personal Savings Guarantee

Personal Savings Guarantee

Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal Savings Guarantee

Originally Posted by TillyG
Yup, possibly. I need to do some more research into the interest rates etc. I think we have 7% with the ANZ savings acct we currently have. I really need to work out how interest is calculated (I know it's not as simple as saying "30000 / 100 x 7 and then divided by 12... shame really, as I can work that one out LOL)
Well it is pretty simple. Assuming you don't reinvest the interest every month the interest you would earn in a year on $30k at 7% is 30000 x 0.07
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

So it *is* as simple as I thought then? LOL. I guess, then without counting in compound interest or any extra money we put aside (we reckon in the New Year we'll have about $500/month to save), on the $30600 we've got coming over we should make 2100 in a year = 175 per month. Acct fees of $5 (ANZ) + $4 (one of the banks) + $3 (the other one) = 12 per month. So net gain of 163 per month, ish....

Will do some more playing with sums later on - been a long day already!
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:22 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

So it *is* as simple as I thought then? LOL. I guess, then without counting in compound interest or any extra money we put aside (we reckon in the New Year we'll have about $500/month to save), on the $30600 we've got coming over we should make 2100 in a year = 175 per month. Acct fees of $5 (ANZ) + $4 (one of the banks) + $3 (the other one) = 12 per month. So net gain of 163 per month, ish....

Will do some more playing with sums later on - been a long day already!

You need to take tax into account......I am currently paying 46% tax on interest as my TFN has not been sorted out yet:curse:
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of lightTillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Ouch! I think I may put the new accounts (if we do them) into my sole name (Housewife, no income).... will do some more digging as the current savings acct we have with ANZ is a joint one and DH already pays shitloads of tax.

Thanks for the reminder - very helpful! Hope you can sort your TFN out soon
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

westpac only charge the account fee of $5 per month if theres less than $3000 in the account. they also have pretty good rates on savings - ordinary esaver account is 6.8% and term deposits 7% and upwards depending on length you invest for. with term deposits you can chose if you want interest added monthly, annually or on maturity. also, they don't seem to give you a lower rate for lower amounts - so good for splitting money up across banks.

we are doing that with mums - she is waiting on her visa but took advantage of the rate this week to send her savings. as a nonresident she will be taxed at just 10% on interest.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:13 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donovandenese
westpac only charge the account fee of $5 per month if theres less than $3000 in the account. they also have pretty good rates on savings - ordinary esaver account is 6.8% and term deposits 7% and upwards depending on length you invest for. with term deposits you can chose if you want interest added monthly, annually or on maturity. also, they don't seem to give you a lower rate for lower amounts - so good for splitting money up across banks.

we are doing that with mums - she is waiting on her visa but took advantage of the rate this week to send her savings. as a nonresident she will be taxed at just 10% on interest.
Won't actually make any difference - she'll still be giving Gordon Brown the same tax (less the 10% that Wayne takes <g>.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

pawpaw is an unknown quantity at this point

the interest payable to the deposit is very appealing to me- for e.g 50K deposit x 7% per annum = $3,500 interest earned every year.

but how about the taxes? will the taxes wipe out most of the gains reap from the interest?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pawpaw
the interest payable to the deposit is very appealing to me- for e.g 50K deposit x 7% per annum = $3,500 interest earned every year.

but how about the taxes? will the taxes wipe out most of the gains reap from the interest?
You can always put (some of) it into a retirement savings account, which only attracts 15% tax on the interest.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

That's what we're going to do. We've got $30k on its way to us so might split it 2 or 3 ways. Will need to open a "regular" account with the other bank(s) though in order to have a savings account - we're with ANZ currently ($5 per month) but CBA have a $4 one and Westpac have a $3 one so will go see them in the next week or 2
You don't need a transaction account with Bankwest, they will link a savings account to your current account at another bank.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wol
Won't actually make any difference - she'll still be giving Gordon Brown the same tax (less the 10% that Wayne takes <g>.
yea for sure...taxwise she will be same as now, benefit was the good exchange rate and higher savings interest here compared to the UK
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quercus
You don't need a transaction account with Bankwest, they will link a savings account to your current account at another bank.
Thanks for that. I wasn't too sure if BankWest were "OK" these days. Am I right in thinking they were recently bought out by one of the other 4? If so, I guess that makes them fairly "safe"?
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that. I wasn't too sure if BankWest were "OK" these days. Am I right in thinking they were recently bought out by one of the other 4? If so, I guess that makes them fairly "safe"?
CBA have snapped them up, which means as safe as they could be without a guarantee, I guess. They also have the best online interest rate.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by quercus
CBA have snapped them up, which means as safe as they could be without a guarantee, I guess. They also have the best online interest rate.
Fantastic - thanks so much for your help
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Fantastic - thanks so much for your help
Glad I could be of help, they were originally recommended by the clued up folks on here, who have given me so much help.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:18 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
You need to take tax into account......I am currently paying 46% tax on interest as my TFN has not been sorted out yet:curse:

Can you claim it back when you get your TFN?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.