Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

People of Cairns I need advice..

People of Cairns I need advice..

Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future
Default Re: People of Cairns I need advice..

Originally Posted by snappy
Another couple of mates moved from Perth to Cairns at the start of this year, both their boys go to St Andrews and they think it is amazing both staff, facilities, and how the boys have come on since attending.

You are coming out at the best time of year for getting a full time apprenticeship with say Ergon energy as they usually start to advertise the positions from now until end of September ready for the school leavers, they prefer a person to have passed year 12 and with an adequate Maths and Physics qualification. It may be worth your while sending them an email http://www.ergon.com.au/about_us/contact_us.asp.

The other places you could try are CRGT or Employnet - CRGT is a training organisation that act on behalf of employers or host employers as they are known, Employnet are one of the New Apprenticeship Centres that have the current contracts for the Government in the Far North the other one being Queensland Apprenticeship Services (all of which have websites sorry getting late now to go hunting)

If you get stuck when you get here give me a shout as I deal with these people all the time as this is what I do for a living at our local High School by looking after all the school based apprentices and trainees.
Thanks Snappy for taking the time, will contact them over the next couple of days.cheers Trudi
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:01 pm
IT Guru

TheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really niceTheSubMainMan is just really nice
Smile Re: People of Cairns I need advice..

The first hot season I lived with the air con on, the 2nd season we moved into a place with no air con but was close to the beach so we had nice cool sea breezes flowing through the house. During the 2nd season we could of put the air con on maybe twice but we got by quite easily without it. We are also building a house at the moment and plan to have no air con but have designed it for the air flow.

When we first got up this way all the locals kept saying "so you haven't been through the summer yet.....mmmm.....we'll see how you go!!!" and I was expecting it to be awful. I think as I was expecting it to be so bad it wasn't as bad as my expectations so I coped very well. I would say there seems to be a 2 week rule here, where you get a couple of weeks of very hot weather during the summer months and a couple of weeks where it is very cold during the winter. The 1st wet season didn't last too long although all the locals kept saying we have had 90 days now of rain - in reality they counted the times it rained in the night or for 5 minutes during the day. The 2nd wet season we went through was solid after Larry as WW has said and then this year it seems to have lasted a bit longer than normal.

The thing up here is that the rain isn't like the rain you get in the Uk where you are cold and horrible drizzly days. It seems to just open the skies and hammer down then stop 5 minutes later, then hammer down again on and off and a lot of it is through the night. The other difference being is that when I first got here I would get up shower and all that and the getting dressed decision was either shorts, shorts, shorts or ...erm....shorts! As I used to hate that horrible freezing feeling the the UK when you used to go out in the rain here you don't have that as it is still warm. So when the locals asked me how I was getting on during the wet season I could honestly say it hadn't bothered me. The only time it did get on my nerves was this year as it was delaying the house build - another point is if you are tradesman that works outdoors the wet season can play havoc on work which is something we have found out the hard way but now try and save up to ensure we are covered during those times plus as my job is indoors at least one of us is bringing in some cash.

Most places are built for the wet and sunny weather up this way with a good outdoor living area undercover, pool to cool off, air con in cars/shops/houses, and massive shopping malls where you can buy your latest designer clothes or do your food shopping without going out into the elements.

It will be very hot compared to the UK around Christmas time here though as you are leaving the winter for the summer here so stepping off that plane will feel a big shock to you. You will also get used to doing things around the time of day i.e. you get up early to do a daily walk when it is cool, don't do any housework unless it's in air con during the early afternoon of the day, I put my washing out on the line the night before or early in the morning as this can be a sweaty task to do during the full heat of the sun here, all little things but you will be surprised how quickly you adjust to life up here as there is no rush for anything

Weather wise it tends to start heating up around October onwards with the height of it around January/February time so if someone says they are coming over for a visit I liek to tell them to come here around August/September time as the weather is normally sunny and a bit cool still.
Just to say thanks for both the replies, very informative. Appreciate all the help we get.

snappy, Hows the build coming along?
Sorry to tap you up on this, but I keep thinking about your build, It's just that I'm so tempted to have a look when we drive by mission. Also wondering if you could part with that retired Architects details, or maybe do a deal on your plans. Just a thought....

Hi to "wardy2",
"sophjam", ...(are you guys with the March applicants along with me?)
"Morris Clan"

We don't know anyone in Cairns, and are hoping to move there before Christmas. Me(David) & Em's(Emma) two kids (Edward nearly 11 and Ellie 9).

I'm an IT guy, and Em's is a kept woman! as there is not much work, for IT people in Cairns, I'm hoping to reverse those roles. Well for as long as I can...

I have no job to go to, but enough money to buy one of there houses, just hope the place doesn't go mad over the next six months. I'm sure if I hang around the bars long enough someone will offer me something

It would be nice to break the ice or the heat !!!, So were up for a coffee...

Last one there pays!!!

Last edited by TheSubMainMan; Jul 9th 2007 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:15 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we are a marchie

It will probably me who is the last to get there at this rate still waiting for a co. have promised the kids they can play for their football teams up til xmas and thats it were off.

Are you one of these sickening people that are going to be mortgage free : I want to be one of those, if you have no mortgage you can buy the coffee.

I'm looking to start a new career going to leave my old one behind I dont mind what I do.

hubby has a choice of 2 jobs he is qualified in I dont want to be greedy and stop him from working he clearly loves it

kaye x
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant futuresophjam has a brilliant future

Me too for the marchies i will need a mortgage as well but I dont know whether to rent out my bungalow just in case the kids are really unhappy im a softy you know. Im really looking forward to getting there especially when I remember snippets of what it was like when we were there. I think it will be nice to keep in touch good support network when we are all new.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:43 pm
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan
Just to say thanks for both the replies, very informative. Appreciate all the help we get.

Sorry to tap you up on this, but I keep thinking about your build, It's just that I'm so tempted to have a look when we drive by mission. Also wondering if you could part with that retired Architects details, or maybe do a deal on your plans. Just a thought....

Hi to "wardy2",
"sophjam", ...(are you guys with the March applicants along with me?)
"Morris Clan"

We don't know anyone in Cairns, and are hoping to move there before Christmas. Me(David) & Em's(Emma) two kids (Edward nearly 11 and Ellie 9).

I'm an IT guy, and Em's is a kept woman! as there is not much work, for IT people in Cairns, I'm hoping to reverse those roles. Well for as long as I can...

I have no job to go to, but enough money to buy one of there houses, just hope the place doesn't go mad over the next six months. I'm sure if I hang around the bars long enough someone will offer me something

It would be nice to break the ice or the heat !!!, So were up for a coffee...

Last one there pays!!!
Hi David,

nice to meet you, I have 5 "boys", the hubby, Joe and then the other 4 who are John 16, Jordan 12, Matthew 11 and Jack nearly 8 (no jokes about "J" names please , it just happened that way ). We applied last month on a 457 so will hopefully be out there soon.

Meeting you and Emma along with everyone else for a coffee sounds good, I'll bring Joe with me as I think it will do him good to meet the people I have been talking to.

Speak to you soon

Helen
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

That sounds good to me aswell my hubbys very shy will be better talking face to face. Just had formal job offer this am. Just hoping that they accept evidence that I sent them so I can be higher in the salary scale Ive been nursing 21 years so dont want to start at the bottom again if I can get away with it. They have less holidays aswell but at least I can make the most of them there I wonder how long the visa will take now dont know what to start doing next. Im in a bit of a lull at the moment but Im off now for 8 daysso i might get motivated again Trudi
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen Im sure John and Jamie will get on well when we get there hes in denial at the moment about move. Thinks it will never happen.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:42 am
I need a beer.....

snappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to beholdsnappy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TheSubMainMan

Sorry I can't give out his details any more as he keeps swearing at me that ours was the last drawings he would do and believe me his health was pretty bad so he just isn't up to it anymore.

I do however have a nice set of fulyl finished drawings for our house in a block design if you are interested

The building is coming along nicely although contractors are a pain in the behind sayign they are turning up then not appearing. I was expecting to have 5 carpenters on the house this week and only two turned up :curse: Needless to say I was not impressed. The suppliers have let me down recently for a few bits and bobs so if anyone says somethign will be here on Thursday I now factor in that it will be here from a week Thursday and so far it seems to be working!

The trusses are going up nicely now and the roof is on order so hopefully by the end of next week we should have a roof over us

If you do call in give us a shout and we'll give you the tour.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Ive got a joiner you can have but hes not keen on working in the heat fancies himself selling bikes in Cairns yamaha! I think not! Do you think he will get work quickly in Cairns?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sophjam
Ive got a joiner you can have but hes not keen on working in the heat fancies himself selling bikes in Cairns yamaha! I think not! Do you think he will get work quickly in Cairns?
As a joiner??? Shouldn't have a problem.

WW
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

The building is coming along nicely although contractors are a pain in the behind sayign they are turning up then not appearing. I was expecting to have 5 carpenters on the house this week and only two turned up :curse: Needless to say I was not impressed. The suppliers have let me down recently for a few bits and bobs so if anyone says somethign will be here on Thursday I now factor in that it will be here from a week Thursday and so far it seems to be working!

The trusses are going up nicely now and the roof is on order so hopefully by the end of next week we should have a roof over us
One of the issues in a building boom time is the lack of trades.

As a result the subbies prefer to deal with a builder (in theory more organised and regular work) than an owner-builder who may or may not know what they are doing (it wasnt that hard to build on TV!!).

Consequently, you can pay what ever is considered to be the going price and they may or may not turn up depending on the pressure from their regular builders. If something is not right when they turn up to do there bit it may be a while before they return due to other commitments.

The added domestic stress and ever increasing costs may well work against your preceived cost savings.

Of course if it was recession, you would get the best price and attention to detail/program.

WW
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:09 am
In Cairns and loving it!!

The morris clan will become famous soon enough

Trudie,
I'm sure they will get on great. Shame we aren't closer at the minute as I'm sure my lot would help you talk Jamie round.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:42 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

my OH Neil will keep them going not very shy geordie and cant wait to get there.

Kaye
Old Jul 10th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks everyone just had email with rentals if anyone wants rental info for cairns
Old Jul 10th 2007, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice

thanks everyone just had email with rentals if anyone wants rental info for cairns
Hey think I need to get involved in this post its getting quite a busy one! And besides it looks like loads of us are heading Cairns way!! Will have to organise a soccer team when we all get there....all the Newcastle lot and us Leeds lot!! ha ha not that Leeds United are going anywhere fast!!
Is no one worried about the heat? We are going January time 2 kids under 2 and one of 13 - just wonder whether to leave it till march/ april time when it starts to cool off a bit! Friend said to me that Cairns was like Dubai but more humid in January? We went to Cairns last year - is anyone going who hasnt been there yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.