Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Payment for selling car privately

Payment for selling car privately

Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:17 am
Just Joined

IsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to all
Default Payment for selling car privately

Long time lurker here looking for advice.

We're about to sell our car to someone off Gumtree. Is there something something similar to bank cheques here in Australia or how do l ensure that the buyer is paying me? The sale is for 20k.

Thank you
Old Nov 1st 2013, 12:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Payment for selling car privately

Originally Posted by IsabelNecessaryOnABike

We're about to sell our car to someone off Gumtree. Is there something something similar to bank cheques here in Australia or how do l ensure that the buyer is paying me? The sale is for 20k.

Thank you
You can get a bank cheque - I had to get one for my bond as they wouldn't accept cash or bank transfer

You could also ask for cash, as there doesn't seem to be a limit on what can be withdrawn in branch
Old Nov 1st 2013, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
I've just had to purchase a bank cheque from CBA, the cost was only $12 and the deal was done over the counter.

The back cheque has various safety features and when dealing with strangers and such a substantial sum, it's probably better to familiarise yourself with them before accepting the cheque. Also make sure that you make positive identification of the purchaser and make sure that you finalise the transaction in a secure place such as a bank.... security, CCTV etc.

Advise the purchaser that you will want to sight and possibly copy ( photograph), his ID. Ask him/her who will be attending the handover meeting and advise them that the handover of cheque/cash/rego docs will be done on bank premises.

Always keep in mind that when that car leaves your driveway, that it's $20,000 of your money that is driving away.

I hope it all goes well
Old Nov 1st 2013, 4:45 am
Just Joined

IsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to allIsabelNecessaryOnABike is a name known to all

Thank you both.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Thank you
Make sure you get the bank cheque cleared at your bank before handing over keys etc. They have been known to be stolen or else forged. It amazes me what photo shop can do now.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 10:20 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Another thing you could ask for is a Postal Money Order.
Old Nov 7th 2013, 9:53 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
Lots of scams on Gumtree (just be careful)
If they say they are working off shore and cant view the car, only text as the phone isn't working etc etc..... beware!

Good luck
Old Nov 8th 2013, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Thanks all. I've sold it and got the money. The car goes next week!
Old Nov 8th 2013, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all. I've sold it and got the money. The car goes next week!
Congratulations
Old Nov 9th 2013, 6:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats.