British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Paying back a uk student loan whilst living in Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/paying-back-uk-student-loan-whilst-living-australia-905157/)

Harlequin16 Oct 27th 2017 3:38 pm

Paying back a uk student loan whilst living in Australia

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I moved to Australia nearly 3 years ago after living and studying in the uk. I have a student loan from the uk and until now have not had to make any repayments. However the SLC are now chasing me. Can anyone give advice on the easist/best way to start making payments from Oz? Im concerned about international transfer fees on top of what looks like a $500 per month payment because i live in Australia. I no longer have a uk bank account so everything would come straight from Oz. Can anyone help? Thanks.

scot47 Oct 27th 2017 3:52 pm

Re: Paying back a uk student loan whilst living in Australia

Negotiate ? Maybe through a third party ?

Harlequin16 Oct 27th 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12369650)
Negotiate ? Maybe through a third party ?

Hi, what kind of third party? I didnt think that would be an option?

Pollyana Oct 27th 2017 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Harlequin16 (Post 12369653)
Hi, what kind of third party? I didnt think that would be an option?

Send the money to a friend/parent/sister/etc and get them to pay the actual loan for you.

scrubbedexpat020 Oct 27th 2017 10:04 pm

My daughter pays her Aussie HECS to ATO from NY using Tranzfers. You need the UK bank details and a SLC ref. no. and you are good to go. $15 per transfer.

Scooty666 Oct 28th 2017 2:46 am

Hey
I got chased too. Was it from a company called 1st Locate? I called SLC direct to sort it as i didn't want someone getting commission!

They emailed me a form and it did say you have to pay from a UK bank. I'm striking a deal with my mum for her to pay from her bank and then I'll save the money over here for her when she visits. Avoids transfer charges and issues with exchange rate etc!

Are you looking at the fixed rate on the SLC site? I am sending my payslips over for the income contingent repayment option.

Originally Posted by Harlequin16 (Post 12369641)
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone can help me. I moved to Australia nearly 3 years ago after living and studying in the uk. I have a student loan from the uk and until now have not had to make any repayments. However the SLC are now chasing me. Can anyone give advice on the easist/best way to start making payments from Oz? Im concerned about international transfer fees on top of what looks like a $500 per month payment because i live in Australia. I no longer have a uk bank account so everything would come straight from Oz. Can anyone help? Thanks.

goldchoccycoin Oct 29th 2017 4:40 am

You can either transfer money via a company (like Tranzfers, which is what I did) or you can actually pay on the SLC website via debit or credit card (VISA or Mastercard).

Good luck.