Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parking issues on private lot

Parking issues on private lot

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:04 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parking issues on private lot

Originally Posted by spartacus
Why don't you buy a cheap car, say for example an old Hyundai or even a Lada, and park it in the space? When your buddies come over, simply move your car into someone else's car parking space . . . problem solved.

Could you get a Lada running at such short notice?

S
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Could you get a Lada running at such short notice?

S
With a bit of elbow grease from the OP and his buddies I'm sure they could get it rolling if not running . . .

Anyways, cars in Australia, although more expensive compared to the equivalent model in the UK, generally last longer because there's no salt used on the roads during . . . <BLAHBLAHBLAH>
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:13 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mamoo
Yes, actually i have been couteous enough to put a note on the windscreen first time, second time with my mob no to discuss - notified BodyCorp and let it go but asked them to put the issue on their registry and record (so if this continues it can be taken as one action item).
That was soft approach.
I think you are precisely right, my approach should be now going to BCs and ask them what is the towing policy.
But last time when i raised this issue the response was they can to do little as its private property - I was thinking, "are you serious?"
I will ask them about the things you raised.
I still want the BCs to send a note to every flat and ask them to be careful.
May be once the notice is sent to each flat owners and after that it continues the next action can be drastic ones like towing..
I like your approach though - I dont want to mishandle it.

PS: about the bin, some some was filling up my bin.. i was really not sure what to do.. so i picked 3 plastic bags out of my bin put on ground and put my junk in my bins and moved my bins to other spot.. i wanna see if those pastic bags are picked by the person who is misusing if not someone will report to BC... whatever that was quick reaction out of frustration but still i hope the plastic bags stays on the ground for weeks so someone can complain...
sorry, but your "softly softly" approach (putting notes under doorways) is doomed to fail. Some people won't read them... some units will get new tenants....etc etc.

Having said that, it is courteous of you to warn other lot owners that they risk getting the car towed in future... so I guess it can't hurt.

Best thing to do is just do it properly.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

I think you need something sturdier than a note, or a box with a brick in it . . . Why don't you buy a cheap car, say for example an old Hyundai or even a Lada, and park it in the space? When your buddies come over, simply move your car into someone else's car parking space thereby leaving yours empty and available for your friend's Holden or Toyota . . . problem solved.
If this is wat you propose, save the cash on buying a car and just get your mates to park in a free spot. I wouldn't recommend that as you are just adding to the issue.

For those that have said tow the car. You run the risk the owner can make a claim against you and the body corp for any damage to the car while being towed or being stored. You and/or the body corp ave to prove the damage was not done during the tow and storage. While I was on the body corp of the appartment block I live in, we looked into this. we got legal advice and they said it was within our rights to tow cars, but we would be liable for damages while being removed and while in storage. They also mentioned that if the car was stolen while in storage we (body corp) would have to pay the owner of the car money to replace it. The lawyer recommended we not do this and recommended we change the by laws to allow owners to install park locks at thier expense. The lawyer also said it doesn't matter if you have signs saying the owner is responsible for the costs of being towed.

If it's something you really feel strong about, get involved on the body corp and attend the general meetings and ask that the issue be looked at.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 9:19 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
........., but an alternative that you could employ is to get a wheel lock and 'clamp' the offending car next time that it happens, and then charge a hefty release fee. Word will soon get around.

S
I can understand totally the drustration, but this in illegal. Even if someone is parked in someone elses spot they do not have the right to clamp it.

Actually, why should i not legally able to tow away a park vehicle on my premises..?
my friend said you are entitled to tow away the parked vehicle in your premises at the persons expense.. .
Incorrect Im afraid it is illegal and you are NOT allowed to do this by law

Originally Posted by shorrock
The people parking in his spot may not be owners but tenants. Therefore they won't get the bylaws.....
Incorrect, they will get the bylaws as it is the owners responsibility to ensure tennants are informed

Originally Posted by asprilla
If there is none, then you need to tell them that you want to put up a sign saying that "unauthorised vehicles will be towed - fee e.g. $380, call this number...etc". The towing companies will help you with this.

Once you've put up the sign, you'll have the pleasure of phoning up the towing company and getting the offenders towed... Then miraculously, you'll start to notice that they stop using your space !! heh heh.
The towing company will gladly do it as ultimatly its extra money for them however it is illegal and as an owner you have no right to do this or enforce it. Anyone having their car removed can claim damages from the body corp..

there is no way round it, you need to see one of the committee members to send out a flying minute with bylaw and take their advice

Good luck mate, it's crap so you'll need it
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:19 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
The towing company will gladly do it as ultimatly its extra money for them however it is illegal and as an owner you have no right to do this or enforce it.
Do you have some evidence to support this? ps - I'm not claiming you are wrong and I'm right. I don't know for certain, either way.... but I'd like to !

We own an apartment in Brisbane and the body corporate are a large well known company. There are signs outside the carpark entrances, warning that people who park in other people's private carspaces, will have their vehicles towed. I know that there was some debate in our body corporate a year ago, over legality. But the signs popped up nonetheless.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:45 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have some evidence to support this? ps - I'm not claiming you are wrong and I'm right. I don't know for certain, either way.... but I'd like to !

We own an apartment in Brisbane and the body corporate are a large well known company. There are signs outside the carpark entrances, warning that people who park in other people's private carspaces, will have their vehicles towed. I know that there was some debate in our body corporate a year ago, over legality. But the signs popped up nonetheless.
Check out body corp by laws and adjudicators orders on similar cases

As I mentioned, a body corporate can [and does] often allow the signs to be put up, and towing companies are more than happy to oblige cos it's not their problem - at the end of the day the towng company is doing what they're told

I think you'll find you can't enforce it and if the owner of the car complains of having been towed, they can take the Body Corp to court or the adjudicators office and will lose. The best chance is when they are illegally parked in the way of say an ambulance or fire brigade access. Then it's a pretty watertight argument on OH &S grounds, otherwise it a dead end...

Oh, and don't go by the fact it's a big body corp company and they know best. Sometimes unscrupelous BC's take a chance hoping it puts clients off parking in the wrong place, but if someone gets towed away and cracks the shits, they [the Body Corp company giving advice] will leave you to fend for yourself

Take a shifty at this site mate http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/justic...tors-decisions ...happy reading
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:53 am
Account Open

Thanks very much !
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:56 am

Thanks very much !
ure welcome mate
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Mamoo will become famous soon enoughMamoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kelli28
After making sure he could'nt esscape in his car he would be chained by handcuffs to my bed! That'll teach him
she's a rebel, she's a saint, she's the salt of the earth and she's dangerous!
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Parking issues on private lot

Why don't you buy a cheap car, say for example an old Hyundai or even a Lada, and park it in the space? When your buddies come over, simply move your car into someone else's car parking space thereby leaving yours empty and available for your friend's Holden or Toyota . . . problem solved.
hohoho just for claiming my thing own i got to buy a old tin can paying like 1000+ pa for rego etc etc... and get a driving license in vic
and do all that effort to move my car so my friends can park there
nice try.. are u a car salesman
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

sorry, but your "softly softly" approach (putting notes under doorways) is doomed to fail. Some people won't read them... some units will get new tenants....etc etc.

Having said that, it is courteous of you to warn other lot owners that they risk getting the car towed in future... so I guess it can't hurt.

Best thing to do is just do it properly.
my opinion towing is too far fetched and kinda cruel... so i am goonna hold on to that thought till my death bed
trying more options let you know
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
there is no way round it, you need to see one of the committee members to send out a flying minute with bylaw and take their advice

Good luck mate, it's crap so you'll need it
I am in consultation with the BCorp folks and keeping them posted.
so far little help in carparking issues and for bin they want me to find out who is using it, if i knew i would knock on the door and ask them to misusing my bin..
I can smell the BCorp dont wanna get involve as they are new (Vic govt just changed the BCopr law hence the independent guy went away and now its with a real estate agent) and dont have time to do small things, they may busy selling one flat for commission then working on BCorp job...
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

I am in consultation with the BCorp folks and keeping them posted.
so far little help in carparking issues and for bin they want me to find out who is using it, if i knew i would knock on the door and ask them to misusing my bin..
I can smell the BCorp dont wanna get involve as they are new (Vic govt just changed the BCopr law hence the independent guy went away and now its with a real estate agent) and dont have time to do small things, they may busy selling one flat for commission then working on BCorp job...
So as per the instructions of BCorp, they have issued the letter today to every owner in their mail box.
I read mine, its 3 para simple and staright forward letter letting every one know not to use others property etc...
with big NOTICE TO OWNERS on the top..
btw, i found the guy who parked his car in my place (verified the number plate) - he is my neighbor, a local couple (guess both are too shy); i dont wanna talk to them about this, if i meet them on the way... i guess they got the message - enuf for it.
Still a mistery who uses my bins; since it has come back to original place today since i moved it couple of days back - what the...

i will see what side-effect the letter has on others; wait and watch.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 9:36 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Prehaps somthing like this would help...
http://www.flashpark.co.uk/
...............MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.