Parents visa

Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Rosie24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Parents visa

Just been accepted for parents migration visia what is the best way to send this money to them it,s okay if I am sending it by visa but don,t have that limit has anyone sent a lot of money recently for immigration
Old Nov 16th 2016, 1:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents visa

Originally Posted by Rosie24
Just been accepted for parents migration visia what is the best way to send this money to them it,s okay if I am sending it by visa but don,t have that limit has anyone sent a lot of money recently for immigration
Who are you sending money to? Who is "them"?
Old Nov 17th 2016, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Default Parents visa

Our parents visa has finally been granted after quite a few hiccups now we are in the process of paying €84000 it's such a lot of money and I was wondering if everyone who has brought their parents out with this type of visa has very mixed feeling fear of the unknown and will we be able to survive without any regular income at the moment not sure if we should just go o holiday but the fear if we don,t take this opportunity it won,t come around again
Old Nov 18th 2016, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Our parents visa has finally been granted after quite a few hiccups now we are in the process of paying €84000 it's such a lot of money and I was wondering if everyone who has brought their parents out with this type of visa has very mixed feeling fear of the unknown and will we be able to survive without any regular income at the moment not sure if we should just go o holiday but the fear if we don,t take this opportunity it won,t come around again
You won't have a regular income? Wow, that's brave. My DH and I are retired and before we left Aus we were spending around $5kpm on regular type items, running a home and a car without any really expensive vices (and that was 5 years ago, it will be more now) - that really needs a regular income IMHO and we are fortunate that our pensions covered it. Even then, we began to dip into savings if we wanted holidays or new stuff. If you are coming with a huge amount of money, enough to buy a home outright and give yourself a reasonable monthly spend then you will probably be ok but if you are coming with little cash in your pocket then you will probably struggle - things like cars are relatively more expensive, health issues will cost you more etc. You'd get quite a few holidays for 84K
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:21 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

What are you planning to live on? Australia is not a cheap country - the opposite.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

People moving on a parent visa usually are financially secure, the mere cost of the visa rules out those that are not. If you are not financially secure and don't have an income, I don't really understand how you are even contemplating this? Are your offspring well off and able to support you? Are you still working, planning to work and do you have good CVs / skills?

If not well then no you won't survive without an income, because you will need shelter and food and those things are not free.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
You won't have a regular income? Wow, that's brave. My DH and I are retired and before we left Aus we were spending around $5kpm on regular type items, running a home and a car without any really expensive vices (and that was 5 years ago, it will be more now) - that really needs a regular income IMHO and we are fortunate that our pensions covered it. Even then, we began to dip into savings if we wanted holidays or new stuff. If you are coming with a huge amount of money, enough to buy a home outright and give yourself a reasonable monthly spend then you will probably be ok but if you are coming with little cash in your pocket then you will probably struggle - things like cars are relatively more expensive, health issues will cost you more etc. You'd get quite a few holidays for 84K
Yes won,t have regular income for at least 7mths then husband gets uk pension have a bit of money from sale of hous .
Old Nov 18th 2016, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy
What are you planning to live on? Australia is not a cheap country - the opposite.
Hope to pick up something part time and are their to spend our time with grandchildren maybe just rent and keep savingd
Old Nov 18th 2016, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
People moving on a parent visa usually are financially secure, the mere cost of the visa rules out those that are not. If you are not financially secure and don't have an income, I don't really understand how you are even contemplating this? Are your offspring well off and able to support you? Are you still working, planning to work and do you have good CVs / skills?

If not well then no you won't survive without an income, because you will need shelter and food and those things are not free.
Won,t get pension for 7mths then hope to earn something by watching the grandchildren while their parents are out working plus I don,t have any family here
Old Nov 18th 2016, 9:26 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Won,t get pension for 7mths then hope to earn something by watching the grandchildren while their parents are out working plus I don,t have any family here
Does your child agree with this? As if she uses approved childminder, she'll get upto half of the fees covered by the government but paying you hourly wage would leave her probably severely worse off. The point of grandparents babysitting in Australia is that parents get a break from day care fees. In any case, earning a wage from that will hardly cover even rent and second job will be taxed enormously. Best to check the facts if you truly aren't quite self funded.
The reason for high visa fee is that you can afford that and then some 10x over, not trying to put you off, just hoping all your ducks are in row as australia is not cheap, especially if you are moving to any of the major cities.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a decent private /company pension or do you mean UK state pension? If the latter, well it will get frozen and won't go very far especially with current low exchange rates. I can't imagine your child will be able to pay you enough in child minding for you to live on either would they?

Sorry for also sounding negative, it just sounds like there is an awful lot left to work through as to how you can do this.

Living on house proceeds also is concerning, proceeds from a house are usually used to purchase new house not live on. Where in Australia is your child? Where do you live now? I guess if you are moving from SE England to Adelaide say, you would hopefully have some funds released for living on. On the other hand if you are moving from the NW to Sydney, well...
Old Nov 18th 2016, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Is that a decent private /company pension or do you mean UK state pension? If the latter, well it will get frozen and won't go very far especially with current low exchange rates. I can't imagine your child will be able to pay you enough in child minding for you to live on either would they?

Sorry for also sounding negative, it just sounds like there is an awful lot left to work through as to how you can do this.

Living on house proceeds also is concerning, proceeds from a house are usually used to purchase new house not live on. Where in Australia is your child? Where do you live now? I guess if you are moving from SE England to Adelaide say, you would hopefully have some funds released for living on. On the other hand if you are moving from the NW to Sydney, well...
WhAt do you mean that the pension would get frozen nobody has ever mentioned this before
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

WhAt do you mean that the pension would get frozen nobody has ever mentioned this before
It's well known. As soon as you move out of UK to Australia there are no more increases in your UK state pension - it's frozen at the rate you move over on. There have been many many petitions to get it to increase with the cost of living increments but nobody in government is going to do that. If you have private pensions then that is different.

Add to that, the fact that you won't be able to get any benefits from the Australian government for 2 years and no aged benefit until you have been 10 years in the country - if your income and assets pass the means test.

If you are going to rely on the UK pension and don't have a lot of money put aside to buy a place outright and have savings then I seriously think you will struggle. Australia isn't a great place for older people to be trying to enter the workforce either and, as has been said, your daughter would be disadvantaged by trying to pay family to do her child care
Old Nov 18th 2016, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well I don't know what you mean by pension, which is why I asked you to clarify whether you mean a company pension so state government pension.

The state pension will be frozen to the value as it is was the day you move. If you live in the UK it increases every year by a little bit. If you move overseas it does not get those little increases - it is frozen. This is something thatnis very well documented.
Old Nov 18th 2016, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Well I don't know what you mean by pension, which is why I asked you to clarify whether you mean a company pension so state government pension.

The state pension will be frozen to the value as it is was the day you move. If you live in the UK it increases every year by a little bit. If you move overseas it does not get those little increases - it is frozen. This is something thatnis very well documented.
Yes sorry I misunderstood I understand that it will be frozen when we leave the country .