Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Parents' Reaction

Parents' Reaction

Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

J4NR055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Parents' Reaction

In June, my mother (now aged 71) initially said she was 100% behind my decision to emigrate to Australia, but then started behaving bizarrely and then, on the eve of departure and without any warning, announced that she was disinheriting me. I just wondered if this reaction was common, and if there was anything I could do to restore the relationship with my parents who haven't spoken to me since I left on 4/1/10?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

J4NR055 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Thinking of emigrating to Perth?

Hi, I emigrated to Perth in January after doing lots and lots of research, including six holidays all across this beautiful country. In fact, I might have met some of you when I sold the the Steve Parish books at the emigration shows in 2009 thru my Oz-Poz website (sorry, it's now dormant). If anyone needs any info, drop me a line. If I don't know the answer, I'll endeavour to find it for you.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:39 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Parents' Reaction

Originally Posted by J4NR055
In June, my mother (now aged 71) initially said she was 100% behind my decision to emigrate to Australia, but then started behaving bizarrely and then, on the eve of departure and without any warning, announced that she was disinheriting me. I just wondered if this reaction was common, and if there was anything I could do to restore the relationship with my parents who haven't spoken to me since I left on 4/1/10?
How much money are we talking here?

Sorry I gest , simply keep writing to here giving her your news. Sounds to me like a last desparate act. I am sure she will come around.

My mom swore loads of stuff of of which is now a memory.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Ignore her behaviour and call, skype or write as you intended to before all of this happened. If she doesn't reciprocate then you've done right by keeping in touch. It is horrid when they are like this. My MIL was the same and still is in many respects.
Old Mar 12th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

we almost came out in 2008 and it fell through. my MIL and a few others seemed pleased and quite smug that we had to stay put. No one ever mentions Australia to us as they think it was just a dream and we were just in holiday mode.
Late january out of the blue my husband had an email about a possible sponsorship, On Tuesday of this week we had the call we have waited for since 2007 when we realised it was for us and that dream is coming true and we hope to be out in July.
We havent mentioned it to any family members yet as we wanted to make sure it was going to happen. My dad knows, He lives in Hallidays Point and he is soooo excited and on the phone daily!
I cannot wait to let certain people know we are going now, and will have great pleasure telling them! We are doing it for ourselves and our two little boys 8 and 4. I know it may not be permanent and we may not even like it, but WE want to give it a go, and anyone who has a problem with that is selfish, they shoul be pleased we are happy!............ Glad i have that off my chest!
Old Mar 12th 2010, 2:40 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

WOW! That is harsh coming from your mother but maybe it's a last ditch attempt to make you stay? My parently have generally been fine but oddly my sister (that I hardly see or talk to anyway) gets really weird when I mention moving. I think she's regretting moving back from the US and so it's a bit of a raw subject. So often there's an agenda going on that one might not be aware of.

I agree with the others in terms of acting like she never said anything and see if she goes along with it.

good luck!

Tx