Oz vs USA

Old Jul 5th 2010, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

VivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura aboutVivDee has a spectacular aura about
Default Oz vs USA

Has anyone lived in USA.
I have never been to OZ. I would like to)

How does it compare.
I like living in USA.Of course I had to adjust but am happy here,though needless to say I miss England.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz vs USA

Over the past 10 years I've visited the USA about 15 times on various holidays, New York, Memphis, Vegas, LA, Florida etc.

Its a great place to visit but I don't think I could live there, I suppose because I find it too insular.

If you get a chance watch the recent Gryff Rys Jones docco on Sydney "greatest cities of the world" series, I think he summs it up well when he says parts of it are like England in a parrallel universe.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting because we find the opposite. Having been to USA numerous times i find that Australia has very little in common with the UK and much more in common with the USA.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by verystormy
Interesting because we find the opposite. Having been to USA numerous times i find that Australia has very little in common with the UK and much more in common with the USA.
Agreed. The lifestyle in California is very similar in many ways to Australia. I disagree with a previous poster saying Americans are more insular than Australians - I find the opposite where I live. The biggest difference here for me is the cost of living is so much lower that my family can live a good life on just one income, this seems impossible for someone in my line of work in Melbourne now (which is where I grew up)
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by verystormy
Funny, as the Americans very easily see Australia as extremely British.

The fact of the matter is Australia is Australia. Not the UK or USA. There are things about both the UK and USA that are completely alien in Australia and vice versa.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:52 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

At least Oz, USA and England can agree on one thing.

Globally speaking they are pants at football.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I think the US is more attractive on any level than Australia to a potential migrant from the UK. It's only that Australia has a migration system which is just much more accessible and people can actually obtain visas for.

I personally would prefer to live in the US, however I'd probably still be waiting for a US visa to be processed now, whereas I've been in Australia for 5 years.

Every time I vist the US I cry. Choice, cheap goods, amazon.com and not in the arse end of the world travel wise.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think the US is more attractive on any level than Australia to a potential migrant from the UK. It's only that Australia has a migration system which is just much more accessible and people can actually obtain visas for.

I personally would prefer to live in the US, however I'd probably still be waiting for a US visa to be processed now, whereas I've been in Australia for 5 years.

Every time I vist the US I cry. Choice, cheap goods, amazon.com and not in the arse end of the world travel wise.

I would go along with that, perhaps not what I should be saying the day before I move to Australia.

My husband was offered a job with sponsorship in California last year but I would not have been able to work for years and years, until he got a GC and then sponsored me for one ... so it was something we had to pass on.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Tastes vary I suppose, I enjoy visiting the USA but the last time I was there on holiday for 2 months I realised that personally I'd never want to live there, although I certainly accept that they do consumerism better than anyone.

BTW good luck on your trip BS!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
At least Oz, USA and England can agree on one thing.

Globally speaking they are pants at football.
Would that be Soccer, American Football, AFL, or Rugby League?!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo

BTW good luck on your trip BS!
Thank you.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:40 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Would that be Soccer, American Football, AFL, or Rugby League?!
I was going to say 'soccer' to avoid exactly this question (as I usually refer to it, I couldn't give a monkeys about what it's called).
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

The people who work in US immigration obviously didn't go to charm school. I have never been to the US but my OH has been on business many times. Individual Yanks are great, but if you believe only 10 percent of what you read/see in the news it is full of violent/ racist sects, and creationists! It gets a bad press, I'm sure there are areas that are lovely, just as there are in many countries. However, have you seen the Wal-Mart people????
I don't think Australia comes close there, even with its penchant for ugg boots and PJs.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:15 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
The people who work in US immigration obviously didn't go to charm school. I have never been to the US but my OH has been on business many times. Individual Yanks are great, but if you believe only 10 percent of what you read/see in the news it is full of violent/ racist sects, and creationists! It gets a bad press, I'm sure there are areas that are lovely, just as there are in many countries. However, have you seen the Wal-Mart people????
I don't think Australia comes close there, even with its penchant for ugg boots and PJs.
As far as I can make out the US is the hell-hole into which the whole world will slide eventually.

And there ain't a damn thing that can be done about it.

Have A Nice Freaking Irony Free PC Mad Gone To Hell In A Handbasket Day,
Matt
Generalisations Swept To Order
Open 24 Hours
Old Jul 5th 2010, 11:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

I like the culture in Australia more so than the US. US is too pristine for me - too commercial. Choice and amazon matter not a jot when they ship many stuff to Australia anyway.

However as I have family there I like it in small doses - and there are specific parts I could get on with. San Francisco, Boston - to name a few.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.