Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz cost of living going up in 2010!

Oz cost of living going up in 2010!

Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:14 am
Just Joined

stunsearadron is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oz cost of living going up in 2010!

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's proper name is a Milankovitch cycle.
If you knew that already why didnt you call it that in the first place ;D Still, its effects on global warming are pretty unknown.

Besides, shouldnt this be in the "take it outside" forum? since obviously people can get quite riled up about this (looking at your original post that i saw, it looked pretty...well...rude really). just a thought ;D
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caliburn
No bulls***ting, people will be spending more in 2010. Have a read here... http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-o...1226-lfmc.html. F**king hell.... electricity, gas, water, bus, train, morgage... all will cost more.
If you think thats gonne put me off forget it the bloody bills keep going up here too and don't even get me started on the petrol prices - Pee taking *****.

Swings and roundabouts a few items of food have gone up here otheres have gone down a little and soe have stayed the same, my family call me bargain queen though as I go through the internet food shopping via offers first and normally save at least £10.

Don't travel by bus or train but friends have complained abou thte costs of both here in the UK aswell as the service

An I won't let Mr JenJen see this thread cause he will majorly go off on one about our mortgage - bloody rope round our neck at the moment.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenJen
An I won't let Mr JenJen see this thread cause he will majorly go off on one about our mortgage - bloody rope round our neck at the moment.
Especially when you tell him that any Oz mortgage you get will probably always be more expensive, in interest rate terms, than a UK one.

Last edited by iamthecreaturefromuranus; Dec 29th 2009 at 6:49 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:02 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Especially when you tell him that any Oz mortgage you get will probably always be more expensive, in interest rate terms, than a UK one.
Actually that won't really bother him too much not at the moment cause he has no plans to buy a property in at least in the first 2 years we're out there !!!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stunsearadron
If you knew that already why didnt you call it that in the first place ;D Still, its effects on global warming are pretty unknown.

Besides, shouldnt this be in the "take it outside" forum? since obviously people can get quite riled up about this (looking at your original post that i saw, it looked pretty...well...rude really). just a thought ;D
I didnt know it was called that before.... I did some more research on the net.... I read about the 41,000 year cycle in a scientific journal ages ago.

Re the rudeness... maybe, although I feel quite strongly that the pro energy savers are starting to dictate to us lesser uneducated mortals. JAT
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Re the rudeness... maybe, although I feel quite strongly that the pro energy savers are starting to dictate to us lesser uneducated mortals. JAT
It's an all too standard response. If you disagree with whatever hold current sway, on anything, then its because you are uneducated or ignorant. It's almost laughable at times.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's an all too standard response. If you disagree with whatever hold current sway, on anything, then its because you are uneducated or ignorant. It's almost laughable at times.
I'm personally getting nervous that these newage religious like zealots are starting to get into positions of real power and will actually start to legislate, to the detriment of our standard of living.

Climategate barely caused a ripple amongst these people.

Now we are getting told constantly that Australia is short of water when its just short of infrastructure..... Possibly at the expense of newcomers coming in and growing the country.

Hopefully this fad has hit it's peak this year.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

What being educated really means in this instance is that I, for one, am among the many who spent most of our entire lifes going against the sway, and only over the last couple of years has the sway finally caught up with us.

It is ironic that our generation were seen as rebels and trouble makers in the 70s when we tried to bring the long-term problems associated with the relentless emissions build-up we were creating to the public eye. Whereas now we are being blamed for not doing anything about it earlier!

I have studied and worked in this area for many decades, so yes it is an area I am educated in, there are many areas in which I am not. That does not mean that anybody's opinion is any less valid, however I do ask that people make opinions based on the best available information at the time, rather than personal feelings. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change are a good starting point for some things.

I cannot believe the transformation over the last few years from climate change being oblivious to it determining policy and being used for political gain.

The reason everybody is feeling so totally over it is because as ever we try to do things only when we think that the **** has hit the fan, instead of planning ahead and having strategies in place that are sensibly planned and evaluated.

Even if you chose to ignore the suffering from extreme weather events in other parts of the world, in Australia we have increasingly extreme weather that is believed to be more than just the effect of El Nino (check with the Bureau of Meteorology if you doubt this). That is why the media have cottoned onto the topic and made it so mainstream, it is a bit hard to miss.

At least Australia has taken a lead in setting emissions and renewable energy targets....

In terms of having our lives governed by laws, we drive below 60 k most of the time, and not after alcohol or without seatbelts. We pay for our shopping and don't just help ourselves to what we want, and we avoid killing our partner when we found him or her with the guy or girl next door. Aussies are good law-abiding citizens on the whole, but like Health and Safety in the Workplace we sometimes end up having to accept changes in our behaviour for a perceived "better good". Such is democracy, that the majority decision usually ends up the one we all live by, or the "Sway has the say". This always makes it harder for those outside the square, so I sympathise with you on that front at least.

Seabird.
Old Dec 30th 2009, 4:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Seabird
What being educated really means in this instance is that I, for one, am among the many who spent most of our entire lifes going against the sway, and only over the last couple of years has the sway finally caught up with us.

I don't doubt that we are seeing effects of 'climate change'.
Is it man made?. Maybe?.
Will the politicians bring about global change to the extent that climate change can be reversed?.
I think there is about as much chance of that happening as a snowball would have in a climate changed Alice Springs.

My personal view is that we should be preparing, as best as humanly possible, to handle the effects of climate change, because I don't believe for one second that we can prevent it happening.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stunsearadron

OzzieEagle must be taking this one very seriously. He never gets worked up or angry about anything on the board and I mean that in a positive way. He's always been one of the nicest and thoughtful posters on the board.
Old Dec 31st 2009, 9:02 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Well the bank have lent me close to $7m to play with climate control so for their sakes it better pay off.