Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

House prices here are way over valued and are inevitably in for a drop and there will always be different sides to this argument. One side from people who brought a long time ago and dont give a shit and people who brought in the last few years and are praying they dont reach negative equity, then investors who see all thier greed and bragging at dinner table going wrong. Even the ozzies i talk to now are accepting that a drop is on the cards. The housing market simply cannot be sustained. Something will or wont happen just because you dont want it to. Basic maths.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:59 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Median wage is more like $65k.
It depends if you are a man or woman...

Average full-time male wage (National): $69,206
Average full-time male wage (SA) : $62,405

Average full-time female wage (National): $56,794
Average full-time female wage (SA) : $52,478

AVERAGE WEEKLY EARNINGS
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:04 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

"Total outstanding mortgage debt in Australia was about $1.1 trillion in April"
How many of the 22 million people in Australia have a mortgage??
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:37 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows

I do so that's one.

It's not $1.1 trillion either, so I am guessing there must be a few more.

Anyone else?

S
Old Jul 5th 2010, 5:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
Good question, I have the figure somewhere, I'll have a look....

But in the meantime, in April 2010, there were 46,342 new mortgages totalling $13,293,543,000 which gives an average new mortgage of $286,857 each.

The breakdown of these figures is:
$255,308 Construction of New Dwelling
$300,215 Purchase of New Dwelling (completed)
$290,279 Purchase of Established Dwelling

and as a separate item:
$241,672 Refinancing of established dwellings (12,323)

Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Good question, I have the figure somewhere, I'll have a look....

But in the meantime, in April 2010, there were 46,342 new mortgages totalling $13,293,543,000 which gives an average new mortgage of $286,857 each.

The breakdown of these figures is:
$255,308 Construction of New Dwelling
$300,215 Purchase of New Dwelling (completed)
$290,279 Purchase of Established Dwelling

and as a separate item:
$241,672 Refinancing of established dwellings (12,323)
I googled "Australian Median Income" and an article from you was 5th top hit
Old Jul 5th 2010, 6:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by freebo
I googled "Australian Median Income" and an article from you was 5th top hit.
That's not good... I should be higher than that... I must work harder

edit...

Actually it isn't too bad after all, it was the Australian Bureau of Statistics directly above me

Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:25 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light
Default THE Australian and British housing markets are the last two bubbles...........

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225880119320

QUOTE"He said yesterday that Australia had an unmistakable housing bubble and that prices would need to come down by 42 per cent to return to the long-term trend.

"You cannot possibly miss it," he said.

"The price of housing typically trades about 3.5 times of family income and in bubble it goes to 6 or . . . 7.5 (times).

"Australia is having one now. You are at near 7.5 times family income . . . which suggests you are twice the size that you should be." "

Are they in a bubble or are we in a completely new era?

For me in the UK, austerity is the key to it bubbling over, and POP? Unemployment, is just starting to pick up, lots of benefit cheats taking pay cuts, sorry public sector employee's?

In Ausland, house prices never fall, never, they only fell 5% in the 80's SO NOWT TO WORRY ABOUT THERE.

Ummmmmmmmmmm, maybe the only thing to knock the price of a house off a cliff in Australia will be funding probelms, rollin over debt, who know's, who, who, who..........but i could not afford to live in Australia, and have the same standard of living i enjoy here in the UK.

Au Revoir.

Last edited by brendarover; Jul 6th 2010 at 4:27 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2010, 4:36 pm
Banned

brendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of lightbrendarover is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Centurion
Well if you assume that the median Australian household income is $65k, but lets be charitable and call it $70k. Assume that the average house median cost is around $420k then you have seriously more than the 4 times at most you suggest and more toward the 7.5

Clearly I'm talking median terms across all states and there are some variations, but really there is no disguising the fact the situation we have is far removed from the 2.5 - 4 times household income that housing should be priced at.

There are differences between the US and Australian lending and banking systems but this still doesn't detract from the basic sums of where we are headed in the short term.
Nicely put.............
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:34 am
ABCDiamond

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225887273909

But what is "normal" for movements in Australian house prices after the boom has peaked? My graph shows what happened to house prices following the collapse of the bubble of the late 1980s.

Despite housing interest rates of 17 per cent, the median house price did not fall away sharply. Moreover, even with the marked fall in interest rates that followed, the earlier excesses were worked off slowly.

Looking back on earlier housing bubbles, such as those of 1960, the early and late 1970s, the experience was broadly similar: house prices corrected mainly by remaining flat for a half dozen or more years.

In international comparisons of whether house prices here are excessive, account needs to be taken of the high proportion of Australians who live in the main cities. Even over the long term, average house prices will be higher than if the population was spread over many cities and towns.
It all comes down to what people can afford.

The average Australian First Home buyers mortgage in March 2010 was $284,322 calculated from 8,720 of these Mortgages being taken out in Australia.

Assuming each New property buyer has one Male family member working full time, earning the average wage of about $70,000, then the average Australian First Home Mortgage would be 4.06 times the income.

Obviously some will be higher values and higher incomes, others will be lower values and lower incomes.

Old Jul 7th 2010, 3:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming each New property buyer has one Male family member working full time, earning the average wage of about $70,000, then the average Australian First Home Mortgage would be 4.06 times the income.
But does the average FIRST home buying male earn the average wage?

Also, home price income multiples are generally calcualted based on home prices not mortgage size. I understand why you would do this but it makes comparisons difficult with other & historical data.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld

Also, home price income multiples are generally calcualted based on home prices not mortgage size. I understand why you would do this but it makes comparisons difficult with other & historical data.
Based on the DNA pool swilling around my local woolworths of the generation most likely to be first time buyers, many seem to struggle to find anything beyond a packet of smokes and stubbies for the night...
Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:17 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld

Actually the average first home buyers are normally a joint income these days, rarely a single income.

Using the home value as a figure for multiples does tend to make the whole multiple figures meaningless then.

If you buy a house for $700,000, on an income of $50,000, then the ratio is 14 to 1. However, if you only needed a mortgage for $200,000 then the 14:1 means nothing whatsoever to affordability.

This becomes very relevant when we see that the average first home buyers new mortgage in NSW is $304,400, yet the average house price is often quoted at double that.

As long as the house price to income is never related to mortgage affordability then that is OK, but if talking about Mortgage affordability, which many people do relate this to, then the mortgage figure must be related to the income figure.

Old Jul 7th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Actually the average first home buyers are normally a joint income these days, rarely a single income.
That's because the average person that is not in a relationship and doesn't have a joint income can't afford to get on the property ladder.

No wonder the average first home buyers have a joint income.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 8:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
That's because the average person that is not in a relationship and doesn't have a joint income can't afford to get on the property ladder.

No wonder the average first home buyers have a joint income.
That is correct. Things have changed a bit since the 1960's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.