British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/oz-boom-over-house-prices-falling-rates-might-drop-667311/)

coolshadows May 7th 2010 11:59 pm

OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

First suggestion that rates might actually FALL!!!...

"There is now a small bias for a decrease in June," ASX derivatives markets manager Kristye van de Geer said yesterday.

Should the euro zone woes worsen "there would be the potential that we would see quarter-on-quarter falls at the end of the year", Mr Christopher said yesterday.

Residex CEO John Edwards also said price growth would moderate. He forecasts 5-8 per cent overall.

The top end of the market would do best, while some cheaper areas of southwestern Sydney were already going backwards.

"We have seen a fall in the value of assets in the assets in those markets of up to 3 per cent this year," Mr Edwards said.

"And the rate of that fall has been accelerating."
Rates to fall along with value of homes

I wonder if we'll see signs of 'profit taking', like we do with shares?

Deancm May 8th 2010 1:54 am

Re: OZ BOOM is over?...house prices falling & rates might drop

Originally Posted by coolshadows (Post 8550635)

Rates to fall along with value of homes

I wonder if we'll see signs of 'profit taking', like we do with shares?

Can't see rates falling anytime soon. Unless China takes a hit...

The Flintstones May 8th 2010 3:18 am

Rates won't fall unless Europe as a whole gets into trouble or China stalls.

floss in dubai May 8th 2010 3:43 am

And then there's this:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...push-up-rates/

Really, no one knows what's going to happen. The day before the dollar was hit and started it's decline to .62 USD, I read an article saying it will hit parity in the next month. I've come to conclusion that even 'experts' can't say what's going to happen.

Weebie May 8th 2010 4:36 am

Yeha I remember about 2 months back when one analysit predicted more than aprity.

iamthecreaturefromuranus May 8th 2010 4:50 am

Originally Posted by Weebie (Post 8550889)
Yeha I remember about 2 months back when one analysit predicted more than aprity.

When a what predicted what?

Centurion May 8th 2010 6:46 am

Originally Posted by coolshadows (Post 8550635)

No way, especially with inflation is being unruly at present. The point of interest rates rising is to bring home prices under control amongst other things. It seems to be somehow ingrained in the Australian subconscious that house prices should go up quarterly or the sky will fall down.

It kinda shits me that so many people in this country have been brainwashed into thinking property property property. I don't think I know anyone who just owns one house :unsure:

aussie_best May 8th 2010 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8550986)
No way, especially with inflation is being unruly at present. The point of interest rates rising is to bring home prices under control amongst other things. It seems to be somehow ingrained in the Australian subconscious that house prices should go up quarterly or the sky will fall down.

It kinda shits me that so many people in this country have been brainwashed into thinking property property property. I don't think I know anyone who just owns one house :unsure:

Economic boom is just like a roller coaster, there comes the top (height) and ultimately everything quickly drops :) Same happend over in UK and USA...

soulrebel May 8th 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Centurion (Post 8550986)

Exactly the same thing happend in Ireland, everyone wanted to jump on the property bandwagon, (All the banks were telling them to BUY, BUY, BUY!!) and then look what happened, everyone was too greedy and it couldn't go on forever. I know people like that too Centurion, even some who have 3/4/5 properties and they are now f**ked!!!!!!!! I predict property prices will crash in Oz too but when I don't know??:(

NedKelly May 8th 2010 7:04 am

Originally Posted by soulrebel (Post 8551009)
I predict it will crash in Oz too but when I don't know??:(

Do you have any other great predictions? :rofl:

soulrebel May 8th 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by NedKelly (Post 8551014)
Do you have any other great predictions? :rofl:

Yeah you get caught in the end!! Sorry!:D

mohogony May 8th 2010 7:44 am

The housing boom won't end unless OZ goes into recession and that won't happen while China continues to buy up OZ's massive natural resources.

mohogony May 8th 2010 7:46 am

Exactly the same thing happend in Ireland, everyone wanted to jump on the property bandwagon, (All the banks were telling them to BUY, BUY, BUY!!) and then look what happened, everyone was too greedy and it couldn't go on forever. I know people like that too Centurion, even some who have 3/4/5 properties and they are now f**ked!!!!!!!! I predict property prices will crash in Oz too but when I don't know??:(

Ireland doesn't have OZ's massive natural resources to keep its economy out of recession or large numbers of immigrants all wanting to buy houses. Unless China goes into recession l doubt OZ's property prices will collapse.

freebo May 8th 2010 7:55 am

Originally Posted by The Flintstones (Post 8550827)
Rates won't fall unless Europe as a whole gets into trouble or China stalls.

Err, it is - bigtime.

IndieG May 8th 2010 8:48 am

I know people like that too Centurion, even some who have 3/4/5 properties and they are now f**ked!!!!!!!! I predict property prices will crash in Oz too but when I don't know??:(

Yes, my sis-in-law has three properties, they bought two in 1999-2000. They have paid off one (they paid 250k for a 4 bed 2 bath - now worth over 600k renting for 400 pw), second one is a town house (paid 300k worth probably 500k now - interest only mortgage; renting for 400 pw). The third is brand new and a lovely house which they bought 2 years ago and live in (they bought the land really cheap and then built the house - total cost around 400k). He can easily cover the mortgage as he was paying much higher rates 2 years ago. I think they should be fine even if the market falls provided they don't invest any more money in RE:unsure: I couldn't be happier for them :)