Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is oz as attractive as it was?

Is oz as attractive as it was?

Old Mar 25th 2010, 12:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is oz as attractive as it was?

Originally Posted by pomtastic
This is excellent advice JAJ! My kids are going to have to be doctors or lawyers to be able to afford a house in a bogan suburb if house prices keep on outstripping wage inflation. Also, they'll need a partner who is also on high income.
If you think about it, that cannot occur consistently.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
My kids are going to have to be doctors or lawyers to be able to afford a house in a bogan suburb if house prices keep on outstripping wage inflation. Also, they'll need a partner who is also on high income.
I think that really bright kids might leave Australia and consider opportunities to study/work overseas. The salaries are not exactly high [enough to afford a decent house in a desirable suburb] here even for doctors and lawyers, are they? If lawyers and doctors, who are supposedly highly paid, are going to struggle to get a foothold in a desirable suburb [low crime, accessible to work, schools, transport etc] then where does that leave the rest of the population who earn lower salaries?

My eldest daughter has already decided she wants to leave Australia (even if we buy and live in a desirable suburb) as soon as she finishes her high school.

Whilst I am quite happy here (being able to enjoy a retired/stress free life in Mel), I really can't see myself living here beyond 10 years especially if my children don't seem to want to stay here after finishing high school.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you think about it, that cannot occur consistently.
I've thought about it and to me it's obvious that we're approaching some kind of ceiling on house prices UNLESS wage inflation break outs.

Today's news:

Updated Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44pm AEDT

The growth in household debt and house prices in Australia is unsustainable and the nation must at some stage hit "peak debt', according to a senior partner in one of the world's biggest management consultancies.
"In the past ten years our household debt has grown much faster and to a much higher level than it is in places like the the UK and the US where we tend to look at them and say, 'my goodness, look at that incredibly high level of household debt'," Michael Rennie, managing partner of McKinsey and Co for Australia and New Zealand, told ABC Radio's PM program.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin
Old Apr 24th 2010, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

Dream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really niceDream_Catcher is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's not all bad news mate. The sum total of 7 years living in Australia and reading these forums:

Actually, there are several people that do well in Australia.

People with niche skills, outlooks, drives - even a sense of adventure. A mix of people, fair to say. Range from successful tilers out in country QLD to high-income earners in Melbourne's Inner South East. IT bods to diving instructors, and surf rescue people, volunteer firefighters and SES.

People who are quite content to shift down a few gears and live differently than they did in the UK - whether that is a 3x2, 4x2 and a weekend BBQ being quite fulfilling. These people tend to cop it from the people who have an intellectual aversion to Australia's very existence. I can't say I am a big fan of some of Australian living - much of it yes - many of it no. We find by virtue of the way we have set up that we get a view out from within. Bit surreal at times.

People who fare the worst seem to be one of the following:
A self-confessed, but also unverified, high-flyer/career-minded/culture-loving individual. They tend to underline this, but ultimately they are only assessing themselves and what happened to them. We can never know the real extent of their situation in the same way they don't know ours.

People who are marginalised, in low-pay, low responsibility, jobs with little autonomy who seem to be particularly vulnerable to the average way of life in Australia - suburban life, (the worse, even ordinary suburbs) embattled and insular colleagues, acquaintances and neighbours. Others fare better. A well-paid job in the UK with benefits gained over the years translates to a starter-average salary here. What is water off the back for many posters pile up and cause fustration and resentment - hence, for example, problems with bag searching in the supermarket hitting home and that's before they mention the range of groceries.

The price of groceries.
Ever increasing rent hits.
Problems with red tape - some posters in certain sectors and industries won't have noticed this - others report they need a 'license to fart', or retrain, or reattend school. Some posters light their woodburner and put on a jumper - others rue the lack of insulation and standards in older homes and freeze. Some report easy driving - and good fuel economy as a result, others can't believe they now have more than 2 cars and spend all their time at lights on grid systems...was not like this in Derbyshire. There's more..

Lack of broadband choice.
Lack of double glazing.
Birds too noisy.
Lack of internet shopping.
Fruit too big and glossy.
Chicken breast too big, and watery.
Supermaket aisles too narrow.
Books too expensive.
Foodstuffs have the wrong ingredients.
Chocolate is different.
Sun too harsh - that's just the UV to say nothing of the temperature or humidity.
Not enough soccer. If soccer is the biggest participation sport in Australia, why it is not the most watched on TV in the big winter comps?

Some find the people they live amongst plain bizarre and strange. 'The Aussies' do this, 'The Aussies do that'. 'They don't like the Poms you know'.

That's before we get on to homesickness and family, even the dreaded MIL and FIL, and, what the OH says. Must be No 1 and No 2.

It all depends mate!
Really informative but for someone from Derbyshire looking to move to Australia without a lot of cash, DEPRESSING prospects ...

Thanks though - better make an informed decision and be prepared for living in shacks ...