Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is oz as attractive as it was?

Is oz as attractive as it was?

Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is oz as attractive as it was?

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Depends how materialistic you are I guess. I wouldn't move back permanently to the UK even if you paid me 10 million sterling.
Having a huge debt around your neck is bloody stressful and a cause of serious illnesses and marriage break ups - this is what's happening in Aus now, newbies are loading up on debt just to afford the basics.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
The cost of living in Perth is definitely high. Take eating out, you can find reasonable value but it is becoming a rare thing.
Agree, we hardly eat out, not so much because of the cost but just knowing you are getting royally ripped off. Same goes for bars and pubs. Compared to the UK, we hardly ever go out but that's OK, our lifestyle is completely different now.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 4:49 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Flintstones
Depends how materialistic you are I guess. I wouldn't move back permanently to the UK even if you paid me 10 million sterling.
I'm with you all the way on that one

Loz x
Old Mar 21st 2010, 5:04 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Its a double wammy. When many migrants came 7-8 years ago IMO Australia was too cheap for what it was especielly Perth but in that time Australia has become expensive the exchange rate has gone shit.

People have to be careful about emmigrating here. Unless you have loads of money back home I suspect your quality of life will be worst.

Australia has a lot of sunshine but you absolutely pay for it don't worry about that.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Brucey
Hi All

We moved to Australia 5 years ago and moved back home after a year. Have been thinking of moving back but are beginning to think other countries might be better option (NZ, Canada or staying put).
Our original reasons for moving to Oz were cheaper houses, slower lifestyle, more time for family etc. When we first went there all of these were part of oz life as well as a reasonable expectation of the same being available for our kids in the future which is important to us. I never wanted to leave and have been the main driving force for going back but even I am beginning to doubt the attractiveness of OZ now.
The main reasons are the cost of living and mainly house prices. House prices are simply crazy in OZ. If u can afford one you will have to work your nuts off to maintain your lifestyle now (bang goes quality of life), every housing market that saw a boom as in Oz has seen dramatic fall even though there were reasons why this wouldnt happen so I think Oz wll go the same way. Even if it doesnt, how will our kids buy a house. High house prices will drive up the cost of living, the need to earn more money, the reduction in family time etc.

I guess what I am saying is apart from the weather whats the difference now. The advantages before seem to be eroding fast. Last time we were there we did miss the culture,family etc of home but the slower lifestyle, quality of life and more family time made up for it. However now I dont think those advantages are there from listening to people on sites such as this one and from looking at the crazy house prices and cost of living.

Anybody thinking of moving out or recently moved outfeel the same or am I wrong. I know anybody there several years may feel different as they bought houses much cheaper etc, but I am really interested in the thoughts of those who have not emigrated yet or have recently emigrated.
hub works in main oz cities and believes cost of living is substantially lower than nz. canada heaps better still - even vancouver, once you buy your terribly expensive but well built!!! house, is affordable overall. lots of lovely places in canada and good lifestyle. we will shift to oz for a bit then likely permanently move to vancouver. what i hate at the moment is that our experience here has been such bollocks that i feel 'insecure' about next move - while being 110% ready to leave. in the back of my mind is a lovely memory of what it was like to just 'be' in the moment, happy with your place...
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Having a huge debt around your neck is bloody stressful and a cause of serious illnesses and marriage break ups - this is what's happening in Aus now, newbies are loading up on debt just to afford the basics.
The definition of 'basic' is also variable and seems to get wider as the years move on ... those plasmas and a/c units ARE expensive ...

Me? I have a wife, a child and a shedload more elbow room for my money ... I don't even want to go to the UK for a 'holiday'.

I also have the latest Airbourne album on ... they are like AC/DC but without the subtlety ... it's ace.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

upyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to allupyerfud is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mohogony
'Sydney Real Estate prices to double"

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/mon...-1225843254040
Survey done by Australian Property Monitors, and based on past growth rates. And no other economic factors were taken into account when calculating (making up) prices.
So its done by a party with a vested interest, for a newspaper which makes money from property advertising.
Headline on front of paper is 'it'll be worth double', not it might be, or indeed might not be. It's Mickey Mouse journalism aimed at people who are too lazy or stupid to make a informed decision on what they can afford now, not what it may be worth in 10 years.
You need rocks for brains to believe or base any future plans on this shit.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by upyerfud
It's Mickey Mouse journalism......

Is that UK "Mickey Mouse" or Oz "Mickey Mouse"?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomtastic
Agree, we hardly eat out, not so much because of the cost but just knowing you are getting royally ripped off. Same goes for bars and pubs. Compared to the UK, we hardly ever go out but that's OK, our lifestyle is completely different now.
Eh - I find eating out here cheap!

And many pubs do Parma nights and cheap counter meals!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Eh - I find eating out here cheap!

And many pubs do Parma nights and cheap counter meals!
I think Perth is particularly expensive.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
I think Perth is particularly expensive.
Is it really more expensive though than Melbourne? Do I want to know!!
Less than 10 bucks for a parmie and a pot is good. A steak for 25-30 bucks is OK. A main course for c 15, c 20 is OK.

Infact I am not sure of those prices. If you have to ask, you can't afford it - perhaps.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upyerfud
Survey done by Australian Property Monitors, and based on past growth rates. And no other economic factors were taken into account when calculating (making up) prices.
So its done by a party with a vested interest, for a newspaper which makes money from property advertising.
Headline on front of paper is 'it'll be worth double', not it might be, or indeed might not be. It's Mickey Mouse journalism aimed at people who are too lazy or stupid to make a informed decision on what they can afford now, not what it may be worth in 10 years.
You need rocks for brains to believe or base any future plans on this shit.
Markets are very random . I would be terrified at the moment of making a expensive property decision. anywhere. APM etc want people to believe this, it's in their interests.
I remember certain economists in the UK saying that the conditions were completely different from the last property price correction.
My hunch is that Aus will follow suit and at least have a big dip in property values
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:36 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
'Sydney Real Estate prices to double"

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/mon...-1225843254040
Self delusion is a sure fire way to lighten your pockets
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Is it really more expensive though than Melbourne? Do I want to know!!
Less than 10 bucks for a parmie and a pot is good. A steak for 25-30 bucks is OK. A main course for c 15, c 20 is OK.

Infact I am not sure of those prices. If you have to ask, you can't afford it - perhaps.
I was at an Indian restaurant the other night (someone else was paying) but it was $21 for a main dish. I suspect that this was at the higher end - but it does seem steep. It certainly was nowt special.

$18 for a Chinese main dish is the norm.

Paid $9.50 for one flat white and one takeaway mocha at Innaloo Dome yesterday.

Maybe I'm just getting old but getting a main dish for less than $20 in a run of the mill place does seem to be a rare event thease days.

Pint of beer - normal pub prices - $7 would be extremely cheap. $8 and up would be more the norm.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly believe that ever since people started buying houses, they've asked the question 'how will my children be able to afford a house' regardless of what country they're in. It's not a new problem. They do what everyone else has always done, they get a job, they save for the deposit and they get a mortgage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.