Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz

Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:15 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz

You made me laugh about the Milo, cos I bought Milo here from the Australia shop and thought it tasted different and that was because here in England they import it from another country and not Australia. It does not taste the same at all

I discovered that Horlicks Light Chocolate Malt flavour does however taste like Milo - so right now, I am happy

Susan
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

What a great post! Welcome home!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:31 pm
Made the move -

Fiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond reputeFiona&malc has a reputation beyond repute

What a fab post !!!!

thanks for taking the time to write it, i keep wondering myself what it will be like to go home after a long spell, we've only been here for nearly 11 months though, and wont be going back for a visit for at least another year and a half, but thanks for sharing that with everyone , k on its way
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post We've only been here since the 20th Aug, Chris has gone back to the UK for 10 days...I was a bit worried as I was the one who 'really' wanted to move here, but all I've heard from him is ..........I can't wait to get back!!!!

Sue
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:17 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue2
Great post We've only been here since the 20th Aug, Chris has gone back to the UK for 10 days...I was a bit worried as I was the one who 'really' wanted to move here, but all I've heard from him is ..........I can't wait to get back!!!!

Sue
When we went back to the UK last year for a holiday it was the same thing for Dagboy - he complained bitterly about everything from prices to the traffic (& if you knew Dagboy, you'd be shocked, cos he rarely ever complains about anything! ). In fact, apart from the fact that he enjoyed seeing his family & actually having a holiday, I think he was about ready to get back on a plane after the first couple of days .

Time has mellowed the memory a bit & he now says "Ohhh ok, it wasn't that bad while we were there", but I still remember having to listen to the whinging :scared: (Im not used to it, Im used to my happy chappy with the permanent smile )

Jacqui - great post .
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:34 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
When we went back to the UK last year for a holiday it was the same thing for Dagboy - he complained bitterly about everything from prices to the traffic (& if you knew Dagboy, you'd be shocked, cos he rarely ever complains about anything! ). In fact, apart from the fact that he enjoyed seeing his family & actually having a holiday, I think he was about ready to get back on a plane after the first couple of days .

Time has mellowed the memory a bit & he now says "Ohhh ok, it wasn't that bad while we were there", but I still remember having to listen to the whinging :scared: (Im not used to it, Im used to my happy chappy with the permanent smile )

Jacqui - great post .
Of course he was whinging being taken from the lucky country, you dont blame him do you ? Being in the uk has that effect on people havent you noticed from many on BE ?
Old Nov 4th 2005, 12:46 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
Of course he was whinging being taken from the lucky country, you dont blame him do you ? Being in the uk has that effect on people havent you noticed from many on BE ?
LOL, yes, but some of them don't stop even when they get here .

Funny thing is, he didnt move here to get away from the UK, always loved his life there & never whinged when he lived there! But I think I enjoyed the holiday there alot more than he did.

Anyway, it was the 1st holiday back in 4 years, we'll have quite a long time before we have to do it again .
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:03 am

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

What a brilliant post. I really enjoyed reading this and hope that I feel the same when I go back. Hubby booked us return tickets meaning we go back in June next year (timed for the world cup, held in Germany ) I am hoping that this isnt too soon. I can totally empathise with your statement about spending time with people without the stress of the big move ahead.

Originally Posted by Jacqui
Well the trip back to Blighty is all over and life returns to "normal". Yes, normal because that's how it feels living here now. We've been here just over 3 years. And now that I've had the chance to experience the UK again, I wonder why I spent so much time wondering if we'd done the right thing. Yes we did, and I don't plan on going back to the UK again. Any little niggling doubts have finally been put to rest. Holiday money in the future will be spent visiting other places in Australia, or maybe further afield, like New Zealand. Relatives will have to visit us instead.

The only "good" thing I can think about the trip back was that it gave us chance to spend a bit more time with family and friends, without the added pressure of being stressed out from all the organising/packing at the time of emigration. I felt that I said goodbye properly this time round. The day we emigrated, my dad got stuck in traffic on the way to Heathrow and rushed into departures just minutes before we went through. As he's nearly 70 and awaiting a heart bypass, it was nice to spend a couple of days with him. And now that we've been gone awhile, time being a great healer meant that people weren't all tearful and in shock about our decision to go, they've got over it and have moved on, and instead of being so negative, everyone was asking questions galore about our new lifestyle. The funniest part was seeing people's faces as they met the children again, 3 years older and much bigger than when they left.

Negatives:

The traffic! It's dreadful, much worse than I remember.
Parking - how does anyone park outside their own house these days?
The people - shop assistants appeared more rude and miserable.
The in-laws - living nearby was bad enough, but actually having to stay under their roof for a week was hard work. Kids said that it felt like Nanny had changed, I suppose she thought they'd changed too, weren't the little children she remembers babysitting and I bet the Aussie accent didn't help

Probably more, just can't think of them at the moment.

I was keen to hit the high st shops and go to Tesco again. WHY? The fashions were pretty much the same. I came away wondering what's the big deal with m&s? Our local Tesco has been extended and completely changed around since I last went there. I walked in and it felt completely alien. Wandered up and down a few aisles trying to jog my memory about foodstuffs we might be missing. Couldn't really think of any. Noticed a couple of things I'd forgotten about, but obviously couldn't have missed not eating them that badly because a) I had totally forgotten about them and b) I can't for the life of me remember what they are now. Does that make sense? Ended up looking for Milo - yes a taste of something from "home". Found some in Sainsbury's but it tasted slightly different. Upon arriving back in Mandurah, was actually glad to go into Woolworth's where everything looks familiar.

I thought all the towns that we visited seemed so old, run-down, dirty even, especially my old home town. I have no desire to go back and live in Bedford and would consider living elsewhere if for some reason we were forced to go back to the UK (very unlikely!). I reckon if we moved back I would drive everyone nuts moaning that "we didn't do it like that in Australia"!

Life does move on. Friends and family are all doing their own thing and we're doing ours. I think it would take some adjusting fitting back into our old way of life. The childrens' school friends were obviously all 3 years bigger too and they just don't have so much in common anymore. Since we've been back home, the kids have just settled back into their routines and I've not had to deal with any issues regarding homesickness, wanting to move back etc. They're all quite happy here and were keen to get back to school and tell everyone about their holiday. I had a quick phone call from my mum just checking that we'd arrived back safely, but no contact from anyone else, and just a few emails. I'm glad we made the trip because I know now that we did do the right thing emigrating - yes it takes a couple of years to feel really settled here and it's really hard-going in the beginning - but we got there in the end and have no regrets!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:09 am
Banned

Location: I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me
Luke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond reputeLuke I Amyofath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
LOL, yes, but some of them don't stop even when they get here .

Funny thing is, he didnt move here to get away from the UK, always loved his life there & never whinged when he lived there! But I think I enjoyed the holiday there alot more than he did.

Anyway, it was the 1st holiday back in 4 years, we'll have quite a long time before we have to do it again .
The more times I go to the uk, the more I realise how little I want to return, sometimes its just the small things like pavements strewn with garbage with an added thick layer of discarded chewing gum, payphones smashed or otherwise vandalised the same with bus stops.
The general atmosphere in the uk is what I imagine it was like in n ireland at the peak of the ira violence during the 70's.

Ive just recently returned to oz following 18 months working in the uk and worked in schools all over the country, from wick to the isle of wight and can say that vandalism appears to be so bad that most schools look more like prisons that a safe place for kids to get an education.

2 weeks ago here in oz I got up on sunday morning, went to put the kettle on and realised that there was no water. Thinking some daft bugger playing games had turned the main stop-cock off on the front lawn I went out to see. It wasnt long before I saw that the stop-cock had indeed been turned off but only because some bastard had nicked my hose tap ! Just what I wanted on a sunday morning I was thinking since I couldnt turn the water on because it would spew water everywhere.
After a while I thought I had better wait for the hardware shop to open to replace the stolen tap but I noticed quite a few people outside the house so I went to have a nose at what was going on.
Turned out that I wasnt the only one with a missing tap that morning, in fact every 2nd house was missing a tap ! I couldnt help but laugh my head off.

In one respect I had every right to be real pissed off but you could obviously see the funny side of all these people missing their taps, scrambling to make sure they arent last in line in the hardware shop on a sunday morning !

I just got thinking about if this situation was in the uk and quickly realised that it just isnt the same thing. On most front lawns in oz people have a main stop-cock, water meter and hose tap. If you had that in the uk I believe its safe to say that people in the same scenerio would be waking up to their meters smashed and lawns flooded.

Like I said, sometimes its the little things.................
Attached Thumbnails Our visit to UK - now I'm glad to be back "home" in Oz-p3030134.jpg  

Last edited by Luke I Amyofath; Nov 4th 2005 at 1:31 am. Reason: photo of water meter and new tap added!
Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

Well the trip back to Blighty is all over and life returns to "normal". Yes, normal because that's how it feels living here now. We've been here just over 3 years. And now that I've had the chance to experience the UK again, I wonder why I spent so much time wondering if we'd done the right thing. Yes we did, and I don't plan on going back to the UK again. Any little niggling doubts have finally been put to rest. Holiday money in the future will be spent visiting other places in Australia, or maybe further afield, like New Zealand. Relatives will have to visit us instead.

The only "good" thing I can think about the trip back was that it gave us chance to spend a bit more time with family and friends, without the added pressure of being stressed out from all the organising/packing at the time of emigration. I felt that I said goodbye properly this time round. The day we emigrated, my dad got stuck in traffic on the way to Heathrow and rushed into departures just minutes before we went through. As he's nearly 70 and awaiting a heart bypass, it was nice to spend a couple of days with him. And now that we've been gone awhile, time being a great healer meant that people weren't all tearful and in shock about our decision to go, they've got over it and have moved on, and instead of being so negative, everyone was asking questions galore about our new lifestyle. The funniest part was seeing people's faces as they met the children again, 3 years older and much bigger than when they left.

Negatives:

The in-laws - living nearby was bad enough, but actually having to stay under their roof for a week was hard work. Kids said that it felt like Nanny had changed, I suppose she thought they'd changed too, weren't the little children she remembers babysitting and I bet the Aussie accent didn't help

I was keen to hit the high st shops and go to Tesco again. WHY? The fashions were pretty much the same. I came away wondering what's the big deal with m&s? Our local Tesco has been extended and completely changed around since I last went there. I walked in and it felt completely alien. Wandered up and down a few aisles trying to jog my memory about foodstuffs we might be missing. Couldn't really think of any. Noticed a couple of things I'd forgotten about, but obviously couldn't have missed not eating them that badly because a) I had totally forgotten about them and b) I can't for the life of me remember what they are now. Does that make sense? Ended up looking for Milo - yes a taste of something from "home". Found some in Sainsbury's but it tasted slightly different. Upon arriving back in Mandurah, was actually glad to go into Woolworth's where everything looks familiar.

I thought all the towns that we visited seemed so old, run-down, dirty even, especially my old home town. I have no desire to go back and live in Bedford and would consider living elsewhere if for some reason we were forced to go back to the UK (very unlikely!). I reckon if we moved back I would drive everyone nuts moaning that "we didn't do it like that in Australia"!

Life does move on. Friends and family are all doing their own thing and we're doing ours. I think it would take some adjusting fitting back into our old way of life. The childrens' school friends were obviously all 3 years bigger too and they just don't have so much in common anymore. Since we've been back home, the kids have just settled back into their routines and I've not had to deal with any issues regarding homesickness, wanting to move back etc. They're all quite happy here and were keen to get back to school and tell everyone about their holiday. I had a quick phone call from my mum just checking that we'd arrived back safely, but no contact from anyone else, and just a few emails. I'm glad we made the trip because I know now that we did do the right thing emigrating - yes it takes a couple of years to feel really settled here and it's really hard-going in the beginning - but we got there in the end and have no regrets!
Thanks for the excillent post. Really enjoyed reading that
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya jacqui
Glad to see you're all back home safe and sound. I felt pretty much the same as you when we went back for our holiday last year. It was a real novelty going into the local ASDA to mums, especially as they'd added another floor to the already hangar sized shop....but I was pleased to get back to my little woolworths where I knew where everything was!

We really must try and catch up again soon!! Next time you're up in Rockingham, give me a buzz!! You can even bring that gorgeous dog of yours!!

love sophia xxx
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Negatives:

Me too, very useful post and underpins the fact that we are doing the right thing.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Madhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the roughMadhouse! is a jewel in the rough

Once again thankyou for a fantastic post, you helped us out no end before we arrived here and your posts continue to help now we are finally here.
Im guessing after a week living with your mother in law that you wont let mine come stay with you when i eventually kick her out!!!! mines been staying with us for 4 weeks now and still got another 8 to go :scared:
Glad you enjoyed your trip back to the UK and welcome home again

Claire
Old Nov 4th 2005, 9:04 am
Just Joined

wendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant future

Hey same as everyone else great post
its so good to get a postive post for a change
it makes the like of us about to move feel we're making the right choice x

Negatives:

Old Nov 4th 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophia
We really must try and catch up again soon!! Next time you're up in Rockingham, give me a buzz!! You can even bring that gorgeous dog of yours!!

love sophia xxx
I think we're long overdue for an expats meet-up aren't we? Do you still keep in touch with everyone else?

BTW got two gorgeous dogs now, couldn't resist her, big brown hug-me eyes, thought Toby was kinda lonely by himself - double trouble! My sister has gone and bought a Beagle too. Must update my avatar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.