Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Old Nov 16th 2005, 6:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our reccie trip so far............Brisbane, G.C, S.C, and Redlands

Alk I'll be over next year to rent a chair honey

hugs Lace x

Thanks for all the fantastic info, sounds like your having a ball chicken, Manchester Misses ya

hugs
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
Im sure we saw a catholic school or college in buderim today. Thats a great little village, 4 mins out of mooloolaba with loads of all the shops you need and banks and a woolies. University up the road in sippy downs and a tafe too We were surprised how big it actually was and very green too. Very nice and we will look into it more wen we come back here when we move. We are going to rent for 6 months to a year so that we can check up as far as rockhampton just to make sure LOL. We will probably end up in brisbane after all this !!! LMAO

I think jadnrich would be the best to ask for schools as we aint got kids yet, thats next, they have 3 and live around the corner from where we are staying, so jadnrich if you fancy a pint and a slag off richard greeeeegan evening then give me a shout as we are here til sunday.

Funnily enough there is a barbers shop for sale in caloundra down the road, est 35 yrs giving up for bad health,ocean front low overheads for $50,000 for the business. Not bad at all for the position alone but i dont want the resposibility when i get there of running a business but i will take a beer for a cut when i get out there!(not a scooner a proper pint!!)

ps like your old sig better. Moving the building to the left sketch i mean.

al.x
If you fancy meeting some people there is a meet at Caloundra on Saturday I think, will have to find the thread, its on a weekend as the one set for the week nobody could make it they were all working.

We may be going but you could meet others too and I know from some of the names mentioned most are mega happy here. I'll find the thread and bump it up, will see if we can pop down too, but have 2 birthday parties to fit in so our visit may be a flying one
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If you fancy meeting some people there is a meet at Caloundra on Saturday I think, will have to find the thread, its on a weekend as the one set for the week nobody could make it they were all working.

We may be going but you could meet others too and I know from some of the names mentioned most are mega happy here. I'll find the thread and bump it up, will see if we can pop down too, but have 2 birthday parties to fit in so our visit may be a flying one

Found it Naked Turtle, Caloundra 1pm Saturday, should be in phone book for address.

Caloundras stunning looking beaches by day, bit quiet at night so would probably not suit you, but the beaches are worth a look, think the naked turtle overlooks the beach. Last I heard Pollyanna and Cresta were going some real personalities there so should be fun I will try and drop in too.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Alk thanks for so much info. Its really helpful and we seem to be looking/wanting the same as you regarding areas. Great thread !
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:36 pm
Banned

Willy Wonka is an unknown quantity at this point

Well said jad n rich.
There is more to do for the kids here than there is in west didsbury where i live , in manchester.
There is always going to be a teenage drink problem, probably coming from the angst of growing up, as if you see your parents smoking or drinking as a sign of stress release or escapism then they are sure to follow.

As far as work goes...... it depends on what your chosen skill was to be able to get here. Lots of trade work everywhere as there are new builds all the time ALL up the coast. Getting your trade recognised is the most difficult i have heard.

Luckily we are in the position where we have made good life choices(or what we seem to think are good ones, everyone is different though).

I HAVE A BUSINESS IN THE UK(A BARBERS) which gives me a good income, as i dont spend my money on big cars bigger houses the newest this and the best that. I dont spend money that i dont have, dont have any debts or loans and we will be able to buy a property outright in oz.
Clare is a business analyst but doesnt want to go near the city again, but is also a qualified horse riding instuctor and has worked her way up from customer services in a banking background and is willing to do any job.

She can turn her hand to anything and will if necessary, but she has just sold her house and has enough equity to buy 3 or 4 out here and rent them out or a nice weekly wage, or she could just stick it all in a high interest account and live off the interest. She is thinking of starting a business too cant say yet what it is we need to do th research first whether its viable.

We are going to buy a property outright. Nothing higher than we want to afford in order to rely on a job to worry about mortgage payments, just a nice little 2 bed unit or house, nothing flash or expensive. This doesnt put all our eggs in one baskets and leaves us free to have spare time to enjoy the beach and the area we have chosen for its beauty and slower way of life that we coudnt have had in the city.

I am a hairdresser/barber and can find work tomorrow if i wanted,there are plenty of jobs n my trade. I may open another shop here as well as my one in manchester that gives me enough income to not have to work (£100-200 a week)

I am also a qualified diver and would love to work on a dive boat as the HMAS Brisbane has just been sunk off the coast of mooloolaba and im off to dive it on friday. Up the road is Australia Zoo, im sure therell be plenty of jobs there as id love to work outdoors and with animals.

Im also going to go to college to do my teaching certificates so that i can teach hairdressing along with all the nice holidays. A class full of 17-18 yr old girls(every blokes nighmare LOL!!!!)

Finding work is no problem if you dont find mopping up sh1t too demeaning. I know i dont as ive had some crap jobs but ive always had a laugh doing them.

Its what you do with your money out of work that matters.

Yes we buy asda s own brands and make lots of fresh meals rather than living on expensive ready meals, we have a little flat in a nice part of manchester. We have no mortgage and didnt have when clare had her house as she had paid it off by the time she was 30, but that gives us the opportunity now to do a round the world trip earlier this year and move mortgage free to a beautiful country, grow some veggies have a couple of chicks and enjoy life, rather than making more probs for ourselves by spending everything that we have worked for in order to have a pool and the 5 bed house., B0ll0cks to that idea.

Im in now way trying to boast, but to dispel the negative thoughts that have eminated from this thread about "see how you are in a year" and "there is no work there". Open a business, get a smaller house, keep your legs shut, all these thing give you opportunity to live life to the full, rather than work everyhour god sends. You can work hard at a business for a year or so and then employ people, its not all about huge profits, its about having just enough money for the rent,bills and a few beers QUALITY TIME.

I grew upon a council estate, and have worked hard to get to this stage of my life at 34. Now all we are going to do is enjoy.

Keep your negative thoughts away from my posts. This is happiness to us. As i said, i have lived in moss side in manchester........ A few idiots and binge drinking teens(happens all over the world) isnt going to make the beach ANY LESS BEAUTIFUL. There is no graffitti anywhere, the place is spotless and yes the wages are crap, but all you have to do is spend less!

You only live once.

alk

I find this post niave, I grew in Manchester and you are totally out of order, and have no concept of what is around you at the moment.

If you are not proud of your roots you are not proud of youself is all I have to say.

By the way Aus is a great place, I have no intention of destroying your post, but hopefully realistically you will understand travel broadens the mind, and holidays and reccies trips dont do that.

I am sure once you live anywhere in the world you will appreciate what you have now and what you had then a lot more.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 8:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Found it Naked Turtle, Caloundra 1pm Saturday, should be in phone book for address.

Caloundras stunning looking beaches by day, bit quiet at night so would probably not suit you, but the beaches are worth a look, think the naked turtle overlooks the beach. Last I heard Pollyanna and Cresta were going some real personalities there so should be fun I will try and drop in too.
WOW!!! I'm a personality! Definitely going now Should be a good meet actually, the last one there was great!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:20 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

well, i think you've got me all wrong. i do live somewhere i like. brisbane. i'm happy here. i would like to live in many, many different places in my life, and if there was any IT work in mooloolaba/cairns i'd probably move there at some point. yes, ok i *could* commute to brisbane, but one of the things that i really enjoy about my life is the 20 minute walk to work every day - no stress on the roads or with public transport. moving to mooloolaba would lose me almost 2 hours a day!! so the problem is, if i had to retrain and lose all/some of my income then i can't do the things in life i enjoy, and still save enough to buy a home.

and why isn't australia paradise? i'll tell you. because when you arrive they don't give you a massive house with acreage right on your own private beach, with naked young ladies fulfilling your every need, and everything is free!! ok so i'm being sarcastic, and also realistic. there is no way australia is paradise, but it's a great place to live and that's why i want citizenship (oh, and to vote johnny howard out of government too).

so please, get your facts right before you accuse me of not liking it here. now, if i was whinging all the time like arkon...........

Its not just dreams its ambition and the willingness to adapt and make something out of nothing. Good on you if you are saving up for a family. Why dont you try saving up for you now. Get yourself sorted move to somewhere you like and then save for a family.

You didnt say what line of business you are in?

Why isnt Australia paradise? WHY ARE YOU SO BOTHERED ABOUT GETTING YOUR CITIZENSHIP IF YOU DONT LIKE IT HERE. It may not be for you, but there are plenty of people that it suits right down to the ground.

Hands up everone!

al
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:21 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just dreams its ambition and the willingness to adapt and make something out of nothing. Good on you if you are saving up for a family. Why dont you try saving up for you now. Get yourself sorted move to somewhere you like and then save for a family.

You didnt say what line of business you are in?

Why isnt Australia paradise? WHY ARE YOU SO BOTHERED ABOUT GETTING YOUR CITIZENSHIP IF YOU DONT LIKE IT HERE. It may not be for you, but there are plenty of people that it suits right down to the ground.

Hands up everone!

al
Al, whilst I applaud your ideas & aspirations, I think that until you live here you cant really judge those of us that do. I know for a fact that Brisnick is one of the people on this forum who loves Australia, but that doesnt mean that he thinks it is perfect or some sort of paradise. I live here, Im an aussie & I know its not paradise, everywhere in this world has positives & negatives & the are plenty of bad things about Australia. Doesnt mean that I dont love living here! And Im pretty sure that Nick feels the same.

I didnt see anywhere in his posts where he says he doesnt like it here, he merely mentioned some (very very real) social problems that Australia has, especially in rural & regional areas (as well as most of the rest of the western world!).

My only other comment is that whilst I think its great that you can survive on next to nothing, once you have kids & a family, money & therefore lifestyle, where to live & social problems becomes alot more important to most people.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:43 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
well, i think you've got me all wrong. i do live somewhere i like. brisbane. i'm happy here. i would like to live in many, many different places in my life, and if there was any IT work in mooloolaba/cairns i'd probably move there at some point. yes, ok i *could* commute to brisbane, but one of the things that i really enjoy about my life is the 20 minute walk to work every day - no stress on the roads or with public transport. moving to mooloolaba would lose me almost 2 hours a day!! so the problem is, if i had to retrain and lose all/some of my income then i can't do the things in life i enjoy, and still save enough to buy a home.

and why isn't australia paradise? i'll tell you. because when you arrive they don't give you a massive house with acreage right on your own private beach, with naked young ladies fulfilling your every need, and everything is free!! ok so i'm being sarcastic, and also realistic. there is no way australia is paradise, but it's a great place to live and that's why i want citizenship (oh, and to vote johnny howard out of government too).

so please, get your facts right before you accuse me of not liking it here. now, if i was whinging all the time like arkon...........
You beat me to it nick . Tried to give you karma earlier in the thread, and it still wont let me
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:57 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Al - it's Mr Annqldau again ( I really need to get my own name here I think)

The Beemers are planned so when we go for a tour we don't have the hassle of chain stretch etc. Getting too old for the crouched down sports bikes now and besides, not ideal for big mileage. Also, if going somewhere like Chillagoe there is gravel road to contend with. Not sure the R6 would be good for that. The R1200GS also comes in a low seat option which gives a couple of cm drop which makes the size better for her to ride. Not too badly priced over here and they will do me a good deal on 2 bikes with sat-nav, full duplex comms, hard luggage etc.

To answer another question - why Deception Bay? We did the same as you - came over on a month holiday as a bit of a holiday come recce and to have the visa validated as we weren't sure the house would sell in time. We flew up to Cairns then did a tour down to Surfers from there after going out to Chillagoe for a couple of nights first. We decided that too far North might be awkward for me getting a job (Transport/Logistics management) but didn't really want to be South of Brisbane. I know all the Redlands/Cleveland lot will disagree, but at that point we just didn't fancy it. We have never lived in a city, both coming from small Villages in the UK so the centre of Brisbane was out and Redcliffe was getting some positive comments from a few long term ex-pats we spoke to while on holiday. Started looking around there and found the house we have now on the 'net. Building hadn't been completed so we had to wait a weeek or so to move in, but rent was reasonable ($300/week), close enough to Brisbane to pop in for a day but far enough out to be quiet. Only downside I would say, although not a major problem, is that there isn't much to do on a night. Might prefer, once the rental period is up, to move somewhere with a little more 'social side' on an evening - but most likely moving up the coast rather than down. Of course all this depends on where we get jobs as I've applied for one about 100 miles inland from Rockhampton.

Sounds like you run a pretty cool business - open late for cuts and chat - get a decent coffee machine in and I'll come and pay for a haircut I don't need to just to have a coffee and some good crack. (That's chat for all you Southerners lol)

Graeme
Old Nov 16th 2005, 10:25 pm
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post Al !

When I come out to Brissy I will be looking for jobs in cardiac surgery. Will let you know where i end up...I'll make sure you're looked after when you need your next op. Who knows I may have already looked after you first time round!
Old Nov 16th 2005, 11:36 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Sunshine coast meet thread is

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...51#post2986751

Think everyone has to find where they feel comfortable living as everyone has different tastes.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:37 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

One at a time purlease.

Vics, no we hanent been to the gass house mts but we may on the way back.

rooksie, yes there is loads of building work going on here, in fact everywhere aforementioned there was building work going on, just need your certs which im told are hard to come by.

jadnrich thanks for the meet info, we will try and be there

Pollyanna, i need to buy you a drink, i said i would for all the info regarding pccs and i will.x Please be there.

Willy wonka, i totally agree with you, but i hgave no roots, im half danih/quarter dutch quater english/part someone else(heart valve). I have travelled around s.e. asia twice on my own, and round the world this year. I can ak for 2 beers in 7 different languages. LOL

Brisnick, i wasnt trying to be smart, just wanted to know why! Im a city lad at heart and if brisbane had a beach as nice as here in mooloolabah id be there tomorrow. I have said earlier i love new farm and fortitude valley and would live there in an instant, but mooloolabah ticks the MOST boxes for where we want to live. Its blatantly obvious to me that oz has its probems as anywhere else on the planet, nowhere is 100% paradise, but when you have nearly died from operations you will know what i mean when i say that everthing is wonderful. Like the wit too, cheers.

Mrs Dagboy, see above.x And true when we have (if we have a family as we are both getting on a bit and are too selfish maybe to have kids, a dog will do!!) thats why we plan to buy a little 2 bed now outright. We only want one kid anyway.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and im off to enjoy the rest of my hols, before i get back to manc in a weeks time with all its clean streets and trampless/scallyless villages.,where its allways sunny and everyone has a smile.

Why am i bothering moving. LOL.

Thanks all, and if you dont know me then please dont try and second guess what im about also, as things can surely be taken the wrong way when typing which they may or may not have in this case.
Im not trying to diss the uk, I will miss my friends and Manchester and loads of other things, but im willing to give this country a try a somenes sig said, same shit different bucket, but at least I can go out on my motor bike without waterproofs in the middle of summer.
I love england, i love you all, and most of all i love myself HA HA HA HA,LOL

ps mrs JFW, i was in wythenshawe hospital for the heart ops, mr hooper, best in the world as far as im concerned, hope hospital for the brain surgery, mr sofat.Both excellent

alk
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

floweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to beholdfloweroscotland is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Hi Al
Glad to hear you are having a great but busy time - can I just disagree with you on one point? How can you call all the GC Suburbs souless & like Stepford? There are over 50 suburbs & I know that the areas my family live in & we are headed for are nothing like you describe! Ashmore, Labrador, Carrara.............. Okay maybe some of them can seem very "samey" as there are a lot of new developments but on the whole I disagree that they are all like Stepford. Okay they are all clean & tidy but coming from the UK I am wholly looking forward to that!

Claire
Claire I totally agree with you on this one, I wasn't going to reply to this as I find it hard that someone can pass through a place without staying and already have it slated!! everyone does have their own tastes and first impressions, quite frankly I love the Gold Coast or I wouldn't be living here its nothing like you have described and I don't know how you can say its souless when you probably sat in a car and drove through places without even stopping to take in the atmospheres, beaches and fantastic scenery, we have here. You have seen a tiny part of whats here so you can't exactly judge it against stepford, which makes me laugh! compared to the Uk this place is paradise. Its obviously not for you and I do look forward to seeing where you eventually decide to settle, hope you find what your looking for!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 5:50 am
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

hi flower of scotlad, sorry but you are right, i was hoping that people would react and tell me the places that they live that arent row upon row of new builds. Then i could look more closer at those areas when we come out to live. As far as we could tell, the beaches were beautiful, but we prefer secluded coves with rockpools and more private than the road and cars looking over on to you, that why we didnt like them, just our taste thats all.

I remember reading your post after youd been there a while and how you were enjoying it so much and funnily enough i saved it on to my computer as a piece of inspiration when i started to believe the negative people. There is a whole world of difference between rose tinted specs brigade and having the knowlegde in yourself that you can make things work, is all about confidence in your ability to get up off your arse and do something about it rather than whinge that there arent any opportunities about.

After you postewd tat you had your knockers(ooeeerr) but you are still fighting and i respect tat. Thanks to you we were more determined to get that bloody visa.

So to sum all this up as not to offend anyone too much and put a positive spin on it.

Brisbane-nice, a city which has a lagoon if you want a beach.

Redlands- nice like it alot, in a few years erosion will give this place a nice beach,
G.C.- nice, like it need to look closer though as will find good areas to suit our tastes.
Byron - nice, eventually it will be built up to from tweed heads so it wont be so isolated and expensive.
Sunshine coast- Nice,

Would live in any of these places.

UK Great scenery, fantastic mates, lots of historic buildings and plenty of nighlife, and the best football team in america!

English and aussie people-great.

Ive never had a problem with youths, drunks, working conditions crime etc in the uk (and they are just as bad as australia)) so why should i have a problem with it in australia. We were all young once.

alk

Last edited by alkristensen; Nov 17th 2005 at 6:05 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.