Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

#Our House has no locks!

#Our House has no locks!

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:50 pm
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice
Default #Our House has no locks!

Moved into our house north of Perth 2 weeks ago - No locks on it at all!

My wife and I work all day and its hard leaving all our stuff - but no houses have locks it seems - The neighbour went to adalaid for 2 weeks last month and didnt lock the house!

I will jut have to get used to it - I must say it is not a bad thing!!
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:54 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: #Our House has no locks!

Originally Posted by Widdi

My wife and I work all day and its hard leaving all our stuff - but no houses have locks it seems - The neighbour went to adalaid for 2 weeks last month and didnt lock the house!

When we stayed with my aunt on the GC last year, she used to lock the outer "fly" door (I think that's what it is), but used to leave the actual front door wide open My uncle's golf clubs were on full view aswell, but that never seemed to bother them
I suppose us Brits will have to lighten up a bit over there
Julie.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 1:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder our insurance premiums are so high. Perth is the house burgalry capital of Australia.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:19 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah u will get used to it until u get broken into and the insurance wont pay up.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:28 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

It may not be the Aussies you have to watch out for, don't forget all those young Brits that are being flown across some of whom have been brought up in a culture of if they can have it they will.

Our house has locks on doors, windows and fly screens but know friend only has them on door none on windows at all.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:31 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I've never heard anything so daft!!!!! :scared:

We lived in Perth for 16 months and believe me you definitely NEED LOCKS!!!! Just have a look in the free papers at how many houses have been burgled during the week in the area you live in or surrounding it.

Thats unless you live in the middle of nowhere and your nearest neighbours are 500k away
Our insurance (RAC) gave us a discount for having an alarm and window locks...the same as the UK

It's almost like the Urban Myth that it never rains or gets cold in OZ

Last edited by janeyray; Dec 2nd 2005 at 8:35 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:36 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

My Rotti works well for me.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:37 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours in Melbourne has locks, alarm system, electronic gates etc however it has no locks on the bathrooms or toilets inside. When you are on the loo you have to sing
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:38 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you bought are renting, but if you are renting then you can just speak with the real estate agent requesting that window locks be put on as you are unable to get insurance other wise. The owners should come to the party.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:40 pm
Craig & Sarah

bigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nicebigjugs is just really nice

[QUOTE=Widdi]Moved into our house north of Perth 2 weeks ago - No locks on it at all!

I will jut have to get used to it - I must say it is not a bad thing!! [/QUO

How does the neighbours furniture look in your pad???
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
When we stayed with my aunt on the GC last year, she used to lock the outer "fly" door (I think that's what it is), but used to leave the actual front door wide open My uncle's golf clubs were on full view aswell, but that never seemed to bother them
I suppose us Brits will have to lighten up a bit over there
Julie.

Just come back from my brothers, he has a small holding about 35kms south of Canberra right out in the sticks, he says no problem with house break in's as everyone has dogs and guns no problem at all.

John
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:12 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

whats the address?

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

lock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the roughlock collector is a jewel in the rough

Well. as my ID would suggest I am a locksmith, and as such see all sorts ! From houses locked up to the eyeballs to places with nothing at all, even close to the city I came across once expensive place with no locks, the owner said they relied on the alarm system - total lunacy :scared:

Then you get places with crap locks on the doors where the owners put their faith in the " security " or " screen " doors. This faith is seriously misplaced, screen doors are secure against flies and that's it, they are really easy to open and you don't have to be a genius to work out how to do it.

If it's well fitted and used right the Lockwood 001 deadlock knocks the spots of most locks that were available in the UK.

Paul
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyray
I've never heard anything so daft!!!!! :scared:

We lived in Perth for 16 months and believe me you definitely NEED LOCKS!!!! Just have a look in the free papers at how many houses have been burgled during the week in the area you live in or surrounding it.

Thats unless you live in the middle of nowhere and your nearest neighbours are 500k away
Our insurance (RAC) gave us a discount for having an alarm and window locks...the same as the UK

It's almost like the Urban Myth that it never rains or gets cold in OZ
eh? But its not a myth, it's happened. Someone has no locks.
I've never heard of any myths like that.

I never lock my car in my driveway.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
eh? But its not a myth, it's happened. Someone has no locks.
I've never heard of any myths like that.

I never lock my car in my driveway.
Nor did our neighbours. They don't have a car now - it went at 3am last Saturday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.