Our Computer!

Old May 25th 2007, 1:30 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Our Computer!

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Frankly that quote is crap, but thanks for playing.

Modulate / demodulate refers to the process of converting from analogue to digital / digital to analogue. With ADSL there is no analogue digital conversion.

You could call the box a bicycle if you wanted to but it still wouldnt be one, try cycling to the shops on it.
So for ADSL you use a router to connect do you? Isn't a router used to pass information (packets) between nodes within a network? You didn't get back to me on that one.

Are you telling me that there is no Modulate/Demodulate process with digital signaling?

The quote is not crap.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:51 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
So for ADSL you use a router to connect do you? Isn't a router used to pass information (packets) between nodes within a network? You didn't get back to me on that one.
Yes, your computer in one node on a network (the internet) the target website resides on another node on the network

Are you telling me that there is no Modulate/Demodulate process with digital signaling?
Yes, yes I am, there may be multiplexing with G.lite ADSL but thats different.

The quote is not crap.
Yes, yes it is!

As I say you can call it what you like but as it doesnt actualy perform the modulate demodulate process it is not a modem, I guess the manufactures dont call it a router as it scares people. The general public doesnt understand the technology, and they dont have to, so some explainations you see it books aimed at the general public are not technically correct.

Last edited by ex_exile; May 25th 2007 at 8:55 pm.
Old May 25th 2007, 8:58 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
They work fine!
To save you changing the zillion UK plugs, bring some of those multi-plug with 4 or 6 on them and just change the one where it is plugged into the wall! Of course in QLD, it is illegal to change the plugs yourself!

Andrew
Of course in QLD, it is illegal to change the plugs yourself!

sorry urban myth or in plain english a load of bollocks

go to bunnings buy as many 10amp plugs as you require and have fun changing them over, a lead to an computor / kettle or any other "white goods" whatever does not consitute fixed wiring and therefore does not come under asnz 3000-2000 ( aussie wiring rules )

regards steve
electrician in qld
Old May 25th 2007, 11:21 pm
What am I doing??!!

naifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nicenaifyboy is just really nice

Yes, your computer in one node on a network (the internet) the target website resides on another node on the network

Yes, yes I am, there may be multiplexing with G.lite ADSL but thats different.

Yes, yes it is!

As I say you can call it what you like but as it doesnt actualy perform the modulate demodulate process it is not a modem, I guess the manufactures dont call it a router as it scares people. The general public doesnt understand the technology, and they dont have to, so some explainations you see it books aimed at the general public are not technically correct.
Sorry to butt in - but I am a Network Manager about to emigrate to the same job (sponsered) in Oz.

As far as I am concerned Ex_Exile is correct.
Old May 26th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naifyboy
Sorry to butt in - but I am a Network Manager about to emigrate to the same job (sponsered) in Oz.

As far as I am concerned Ex_Exile is correct.
Sorry, but Rossifumi is indeed correct. Apologies to everyone reading this, it gets a bit geeky now !

The base ADSL technical transmission spec ITU G.992.1 indicates that the copper wire transmission signal is indeed modulated, just like dial-up modems, although much faster.

Remember that due to variable distance and losses, you cannot whack a standard on/off sequence down a copper phone pair [the same concept as ethernet cable]. You have to use frequency shifting [modulation of the digitial input] to transmit the on/off sequence. Older dial-up models use the same process. This is also why you have 'splitters' on the phone line - the high frequency adsl signal modulation shows up as noise on any phone on the same physical line as an ADSL model unless you filter it off.

An ADSL 'router' or 'modem' nowadays is both. It routes network traffic but also modulates digital network traffic to analogue for phone line transmission.

p.s. I've got B.Eng in Electronics so I'm sad and read this kind of stuff.
Old May 26th 2007, 1:12 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Sorry, but Rossifumi is indeed correct. Apologies to everyone reading this, it gets a bit geeky now !

The base ADSL technical transmission spec ITU G.992.1 indicates that the copper wire transmission signal is indeed modulated, just like dial-up modems, although much faster.

Remember that due to variable distance and losses, you cannot whack a standard on/off sequence down a copper phone pair [the same concept as ethernet cable]. You have to use frequency shifting [modulation of the digitial input] to transmit the on/off sequence. Older dial-up models use the same process. This is also why you have 'splitters' on the phone line - the high frequency adsl signal modulation shows up as noise on any phone on the same physical line as an ADSL model unless you filter it off.

An ADSL 'router' or 'modem' nowadays is both. It routes network traffic but also modulates digital network traffic to analogue for phone line transmission.
And that would seem to be the definitive answer on this one. Amen.

p.s. I've got B.Eng in Electronics so I'm sad and read this kind of stuff.
I'm sadder... I've bookmarked it for reading later...
Old May 26th 2007, 1:36 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rodders39
And that would seem to be the definitive answer on this one. Amen.

I'm sadder... I've bookmarked it for reading later...
Okay....... digital modulating, always thought about that more as multplexing (TDM or FDM), hummmm, wellll... still a router though!

I spend my life dealing with DWDM, and FTTN believe that should be the future, ADSL is sooooo last 2004! Definatly no modulating with FTTN.

Last edited by ex_exile; May 26th 2007 at 1:39 am.
Old May 26th 2007, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay....... digital modulating, always thought about that more as multplexing (TDM or FDM), hummmm, wellll... still a router though!

I spend my life dealing with DWDM, and FTTN believe that should be the future, ADSL is sooooo last 2004! Definatly no modulating with FTTN.
Seconded - to still be using copper pairs designed for voice calls in 2007 is ridiculous - ADSL just tries to make a silk purse out of a sows ear.
Old May 26th 2007, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
Of course in QLD, it is illegal to change the plugs yourself!

sorry urban myth or in plain english a load of bollocks
Perhap it's legal to change plugs, perhaps not.

However plugging in a network cable is definately a no no. See this
Old May 26th 2007, 7:56 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
Perhap it's legal to change plugs, perhaps not.

However plugging in a network cable is definately a no no. See this
sorry mate bwtf has that got to do with changing a plug top

mmmm let me think

no cannot see any connection

talk about tangents
Old May 26th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of

Will you lot pack it in, before I come over there and bang your heads together!!!!

You are just confusing us techno phobics even more!!!