Our Computer!

Old May 24th 2007, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

King Family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our Computer!

Hello!

Another question if I may relating to our PC and Printer. Have any of you taken your PC's with you to Oz? I only ask as ours is all set up as we want it with software etc and it would be so much easier to take it with us rather than buy new...is this possible?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks!!
Old May 24th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Our Computer!

were taking ours, need to get a new modem and our printer just died so will buy a new one over there, dont see any reason why it shoudnt work,
Old May 24th 2007, 10:37 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by King Family
Hello!

Another question if I may relating to our PC and Printer. Have any of you taken your PC's with you to Oz? I only ask as ours is all set up as we want it with software etc and it would be so much easier to take it with us rather than buy new...is this possible?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks!!
You shouldn't have any problems.
Old May 24th 2007, 10:42 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Any advice welcome!

Thanks!!
They work fine!
To save you changing the zillion UK plugs, bring some of those multi-plug with 4 or 6 on them and just change the one where it is plugged into the wall! Of course in QLD, it is illegal to change the plugs yourself!

Andrew
Old May 25th 2007, 12:55 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fenton
were taking ours, need to get a new modem and our printer just died so will buy a new one over there, dont see any reason why it shoudnt work,
MODEM?? you still on dial up, sad

I just took the hard drive, as thats where all of the info is stored that (and possibly the original Window install disc) is all you need to slip into a new box on arrival, but then again IT is my business.

As for changing plgs most PC's now days have a detachable lead (like a kettle lead) you can just buy new ones with AUS/ NZ plugs built on.
Old May 25th 2007, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
Depending on where they're moving to....dial up may be the only option.
Old May 25th 2007, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=ex_exile;4828249]MODEM?? you still on dial up, sad

Well whatever that little box that the phone line is connected to is called ...I still call it a Modem
Old May 25th 2007, 6:45 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

I just took the hard drive, as thats where all of the info is stored that (and possibly the original Window install disc) is all you need to slip into a new box on arrival, but then again IT is my business.

As for changing plgs most PC's now days have a detachable lead (like a kettle lead) you can just buy new ones with AUS/ NZ plugs built on.
There are different types of modem not just dial-up.
Old May 25th 2007, 6:56 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
There are different types of modem not just dial-up.
Nope, modems are for analoge lines for ADSL you use a router.

Modem = MODulator DEMoulator
Old May 25th 2007, 7:25 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Nope, modems are for analoge lines for ADSL you use a router.

Modem = MODulator DEMoulator
*ahem* an excerpt taken from the inevitable site.

'Broadband modems should still be classed as modems, since they use complex waveforms to carry digital data. They are more advanced devices than traditional dial-up modems as they are capable of modulating/demodulating hundreds of channels simultaneously'.

Router? The black box most people have for their ADSL connection is a router is it? You mean some people may use an ADSL modem router for their connection.
Old May 25th 2007, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

We are taking ours as its fairly new. It was made up for us by the IT teacher, so got a better computer than we could buy in shops.

Mind you I brought our old computers hard drive and keyboard to Prague as hand luggage!!
Dont know how I did it, as I was pregnant and by myself!! Bloomin nuts springs to mind! As it was big and heavy, the computer not me

GEMS
Old May 25th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,
Ours arrived less than two weeks ago and is perfectly fine, we just bought an adaptor which we plugged the extension lead into, it's great!!
S xx
Old May 25th 2007, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by rossifumi
*ahem* an excerpt taken from the inevitable site.

'Broadband modems should still be classed as modems, since they use complex waveforms to carry digital data. They are more advanced devices than traditional dial-up modems as they are capable of modulating/demodulating hundreds of channels simultaneously'.

Router? The black box most people have for their ADSL connection is a router is it? You mean some people may use an ADSL modem router for their connection.
Frankly that quote is crap, but thanks for playing.

Modulate / demodulate refers to the process of converting from analogue to digital / digital to analogue. With ADSL there is no analogue digital conversion.

You could call the box a bicycle if you wanted to but it still wouldnt be one, try cycling to the shops on it.
Old May 25th 2007, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a mention by someone who isn't IT trained. We had a near new Epson printer/scanner/copier when we left the UK. When we ran out of ink here in Oz, we found we could not get the inks for it. Not internationally recognised, although there were very similar models here, they wouldn't fit.
After numerous phone calls to Epson and talking to lots of dealers, we had to buy another printer/scanner/copier and hopefully send the Epson we brought with us back to a relative in the UK who can use it and replace the inks.
So, if you need a printer etc, might be worth waiting until you are here, in case it is incompatible re - inks.
Old May 25th 2007, 12:07 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

Any advice welcome!

Thanks!!
I brought our Dell desktop and Dell laptop here (laptop on plane and desktop on a ship) and they work fine.

You can even buy plug adapters for UK plugs here. I use one for the desktop.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.