Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Our 4.5yr Pr Visa Journey

truly inspirational, a wonderful example of grit, strength and determination, no matter how long and dark that tunnel may be, if you want it enough, eventually you will find the light at the end of it. I wish you and your family all the very best that life can bring. Andy
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Just read your story - crying with emotion. As Bix said I am also in awe of you both Really makes one realise how difficult it is for some people but they remain determined to have their dream and in the end it becomes reality - well done to you both you truly deserve your Visa! All the very, very best for your new life in glorious Australia

Take care

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:30 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

That story is truly amazing, i had goose bumps all the way through. It certainly made our 22 months seem like a walk in the park in comparison.

Heres to your new lives and all the best to you and your wife for continuing health and happiness
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 11:42 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keebs
I've just posted on the Immigration section the fact that our ENS PR Visa has been granted today (21/07/2005), this has taken 4.5yrs of highs, lows, tears, stress and frustration!

My wife and I decided that should we ever GET IT then we would TIMELINE our story (as breifly as possible) in the hope that it would inspire others, so here goes:

Sept/Oct 2000 our 1st visit to Australia visiting family and friends in Adelaide & Perth. Quite simply we fell in love with Australia!
At that time my wife was a Police Constable and I was/still am a Paramedic. We visited WA & SA Police HQ, sadly, was informed at that time they did't sponsor overseas Police Officers, you had to be an Aussie Citizen or be a Permanent Resisdent.
None of the Australian Ambulance Services didn' and I believe still do not offer sponsorship to overseas Paramedics.
Two ambulance service job descriptions are on the SOL, however, they are only worth 40 points each.

Nov/Dec 2000 I gathered together my entire Ambulance Service career history and sent it to VETASSESS, Melbourne for a skills assessment.
Feb 2001 I received a negative assessment from VETASSESS informing me that my application was not equivalent to at least an Australian AQF Diploma, the minimum requirement.

Following numerous discussion with my wife, family in Australia and researching the www this is what we decided to do:

Sadly, for various reasons my 1st cousin in Australia was unable to sponsor me, his son a business owner was too far removed to sponsor me.
After over 10yrs in the Police my wife fancied a career change and had always fancied nursing (my influence I'm sure :-)). Meanwhile I had researched how to enrole with the Charles Sturt University, NSW in a Diploma of Health Science (Pre-Hospital Care) Conversion, a conversion because they recognised my prior learning, this was to cost me/us nearly £2000!
Obviously, going from a PC to a student nurse was a MASSIVE financial blow, with this in mind and our ultimate goal of getting to Australia we sold our home and downsized from a 3 bed semi to a terraced house.
Sept 2001 my wife took a career break from Policing and started her nursing career as a full-time student and I started my diploma via distance learning whilst working full-time.
Dec 2002 I finished my diploma and sent my academic transcript to VETASSESS.
Feb 2003 I receive a POSITIVE assessment from VETASSESS:-)
This meant I could now claim my 40 points for my job description from the SOL. Sadly, I could not get to the required points on the Skilled Independant Visa and my Australian family were still unable to sponsor me. A massive low point. Worse was to come.
May 2003 my wife was diagnosed with cancer, obviously my/our only concern was how bad was it!
Sophia had to undergo major surgery followed by 5 weeks of radiotherapy. We had hopeful plans that on completeing her nursing we would try to start a family, sadly the surgery and RT put an end to this dream. Following the initial blow of the diagnosis this was hard for both of us but as you ladies will know a massive blow to any woman.
Our Australia dream was forgotten about and saving Sophia was now our prioity.
Sophia had 4 months off and was back coursed 4 months.
Sept 2003 Sophia's treatment was over, strength was returning, and was back being a student nurse again, something she loved:-)

FATE LENDS A HAND! July 2004 I was given the 'nod' by one of my managers that an Australian Ambulance Officer was visitng our new combined (Ambulance/Police/Fire) HQ/Control room on a fact finding mission. After some help it was arranged that I could meet with this man in my HQ. We met for 40mins where I was able to present him my resume. He kindly offered to take my wife and I out for dinner that night as it was his LAST day in the UK following a 4 week trip and was flying back to Australia the following day. Was this meeting meant to be or what!
Over dinner everyting we'd done/gone thru wa explained. He said he would look what he could do but wouldn't/couldn't promise anything.
Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec 2004 numerous emails, phone calls, faxes and my entire career history forward to his service for Equivalance of Qualifications Assessment.
Jan 2005 as a treat for each other we visited Perth, Adelaide & Brisbane. My 10 days in Brisbane was spent completing psychometric assessments, fitness assessments, an hour long panel interview(7am), lifting and handling assessment, practical skills assessment and meetings with HR people! Some holiday you'll agree.
The day before we flew back I met with the Assistant Commissioner. He informed me I had passed everything and that they would use me as a 'test case' for employer sponsorship, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!
Feb/March/April 2005, PCC, Medicals carried out. Early April Australian Ambulance Service confirmed they were allowed to sponsor me. Ozgo migration agent appointed.
Late April front-loaded ENS PR Visa application submitted.
Today unbelievably ENS PR Visa granted.

In a nut shell we hope our story will give YOU whoever you are a HUGE lift in your endevours to gain your Australian Permanent Residency!

Best Wishes

Keebs (Brian & Sophia)

PS Sorry for rambling, spelling mistakes and the length.

fantastic story - congratulations on getting your visa!!

sue
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 11:54 am
Phoenixuk2oz

If ever there was a story of hope triamphing devastation ...then this is it.

Both you and Sophia deserve this lucky break and given what you've both put in to getting here, I'm sure it'll be a great success.

You are both winners in life.

I am in awe.

Good luck with your new lives in Aus

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of

wow!!!
you are both inspirational. we wish you all the health and happiness in the world .relax and enjoy you new life. you both deserve it.
good luck
Denise. Peter and family
Old Aug 1st 2005, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Sophia and I would just like to say thank you for ALL your kind words. We were so taken aback that we sent this thread to all family, friends and work colleagues so they to could view your words.

After reading YOUR replies numerous people have told us how it brought a tear to their eye or a lump to their throat.

In the mad, sad world we live in today it's nice that people can spare a thought and kind words for complete strangers, thank you!

All the best for your ventures

Keebs (Brian & Sophia).