Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One year on in Aus ;)

One year on in Aus ;)

Old Jul 13th 2005, 4:03 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One year on in Aus ;)

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
Ay-up all.

Cheers for the lovely comments and karma everyone

Looking fwd to your update Simone. Get on wiv it girl

Off to now....up at 5am :scared:

Speak to you all tomos no doubt
Great stuff Phoenix. Glad you're enjoying the good and the bad and things seem to be working out for you.

Our attitudes are similar to yours and I hope I can post something as positive as this in 1 year and 9 days time.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 6:49 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Phoenix,
Loved reading your post.
Good Luck for the future.
Julie.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 7:00 pm
Merlot

Phoenixuk2oz, what a dame

I love reading your posts at the best of times, this was was great. So spot on. You do make me laugh!

I can't wait to get back to Oz as I yearn for the less materialistic way of life (England has proved very souless in this area). It is refreshing to see a post that is not banging on about "mortgage free" or the two new 4 x 4 cars they have bought this week - it was very real! It makes Australia seem possible for all.

I miss the optimism and sense of national pride in Australia (hell did I really say that ). Mind I have to get my head around the hot weather and humidity. I also have to find a way to tell my family here

I need to come back here, I will continue to enjoy my time in the UK but we will be back!!

Great post, karma to you if it lets me!

M

Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Really great to hear realistic(yet still positive) opinions like yours
Makes me look forward to being there even more after reading it. Just hope if i hit hard times i can adopt an attitude like yours and keep going.
Old Jul 13th 2005, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

chrisp6 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the most enjoyable threads I have read so far!
Well..... we hit our one year mark in Aus yesterday and I thought I'd give some feedback to all you lovely peeps as this site has been a god-send to us.

I also want to say "Thanks" to everyone on here who has given me & my family some fantastic info, fantastic feedback, many a laugh.....oh.... and a few bollockings on the way

B4 I start, I want to say this is MY anniversary...and MY perceptions of Aus. As much as I appreciate and accept YOUR views, please appreciate these are MINE.

OK...where do I start

We landed in Aus on the 12th of July last year, full of hope but not much luck.

Two weeks before we were due to leave UK my mum found out she needed an op for cancer so she couldn't come out for our initial 3 months as planned.

Then my eldest son decided he was staying in UK so we had to sort out a new flat, re-decorate, carpet and fill it with stuff.....

And then........ to cap it all on the last day of the packers....my dog dislocated her hip and needed 8 weeks solid bed rest.

Ever tried that with a Springer!

So with no home....not much luck...... and heavy hearts..... we landed in Australia for the first time in our lives. Hubby 46....me 42....son 16.

We had done lots of research, from climatic differences in various places in Aus to house prices, jobs, lifestyle...blah...blah...and we finally decided laid back, red neck Brissy was for us.

First thing we noticed was the weather. It was the midst of winter and the Aussies were wearing fur Ugg boots and coats whilst us Poms wore T-Shirts, shorts.......... and factor 100 <rolleyes>...lol

We had read a lot on Expats about not being able to buy good quality stuff in Aus so we bought all new in UK and were having it shipped over. Big mistake. We found we could buy EVERYTHING here that we could get in UK AND it cost in dollars what we spent in pounds so we would have bought it cheaper here had we known. The only thing we found comparatively expensive was second hand cars. They seemed more expensive here than in UK.

Finding jobs was a mixed bag of worms. Hubby found something almost straight away, although he found most unskilled jobs were temporary contract so no holiday pay, no sick pay etc and it's not unusual to work years on this type of contract, hence low unemployment in Aus. I on the other hand found it difficult to get back in to my old line of work [Logistics]. Although I didn't expect to start at the level I left in UK, I thought having come here highly skilled, I figured they must need what it was I had to offer. Wrong. A female in a male working environment is as welcome as a bacon butty at a bamitzvah

Anyways, we eventually accepted not everything is going to be rosy, so we got the best jobs we could... and got on with it.

One year down the line we have both found our feet. Hubby still at same place, still temp....still no holiday/sick pay.....and I'm now working in a different type of role [projects]...and although crap job.....it's excellent salary. Motto is don't expect UK culture, don't expect UK salaries, don't expect same job...but embrace the difference and go with the flow.

On the house front; we managed to find somewhere to rent and within 6 months bought a house once we'd sussed out where we wanted to live. We found friends, some from this site, some people who moved here 20+ years ago, some Aussies, kiwis etc and the great thing is everyone mucks in. Doesn't matter who you are, what kind of house you live in or what kind of car you drive. No one gives a flying fart if you have the latest gadget either, actually, that's not strictly true. These people exist, but here it's not as prevalent or as noticeable as UK.

We found the biggest life change for us is that although we work as hard as UK, and crime still exists here, and although bills are proportionately on a par to UK....we feel safer, we feel richer, we feel free-er and happier than we did in UK.

And before anyone insults our intelligence, it's not that we have "rose tinted glasses" on. We're not stupid. We see there is good and bad wherever in the world you live. However for us Aus has been a liberating experience with it's wide open roads and shopping malls and animals and birds and diverse scenery that even now, one year later, these things still take our breath away.

The one thing that never leaves your stomach is the feeling of missing your close family and friends. But then I guess we took the view we knew when we left what it would feel like and we did our "grieving" before we left UK. We have our moments .....but then you just get on with it.

Tomorrow's another day

So.... for us Aus has been what we hoped for. But then we've worked hard at appreciating the good bits rather than dwelling on the not so good. We expected Aus not to be anything like UK. We were right. It's not. And for all it's differences.... we've embraced it .....and got over the hurdles one by one. This has somehow helped us to find contentment.

Who knows what the future will hold? If I was that good I'd do the sodding lottery

Aus is not utopia. There's crime, graffiti, hoons and as many faults here as anywhere else. All I can say is that the Aussie people and their country have as many faults as anywhere, but a nicer bunch of people or a nicer place, you couldn't wish for. We for one....have made the right choice!

Good luck to all of you people waiting ....and many years of happiness for those here and enjoying it. And not to forget those who are unhappy in Aus. It's not everyone's cup-o-tea....and I hope you find your happiness wherever that may be. Good luck all
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

What a great post and a real pleasure to read. Its so nice to get a balanced opinion and to hear of someone happy to take the rough with the smooth, and just get on with life. I'm sure hubby and myself will be adopting the same attitude. We arrive in Brisbane on 9th Sept and can't wait to move in to our house and just get on with it, and enjoy life as much as we can. So happy first Brisbane birthday to you, and best of luck for the future. Karma on its way.

Netta
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:16 pm
redlion

redlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond reputeredlion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the excellent post, its really nice to see people taking the time out to put up a post such as yours, it helps people like me to keep up the grind of the application process even if we are only just beginning and have a long way to go yet.
Good luck with your new life and i hope it keeps on improving for you both.

Nev

P.S. Karma was a must for this post, enjoy!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 10:31 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

nice one
...... cant beleive you (and jill!!) have all been out there over a year now!! anyways, hope to share a few more laughs with you over the coming year, and hope fully one day will finally get to meet up!!

sue
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:02 am
ABCDiamond

A year already ! Time flies

Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:09 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Realistic post, well done.

It's good for the newbies to read posts like this. Aus. isn't all good but it's still a great place to live and I love it.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:02 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Really great post, Phoenix. Sounds like you're all happy campers! Congratulations on your year anniversary.

GG

Ay-up all.

Cheers for the lovely comments and karma everyone

Looking fwd to your update Simone. Get on wiv it girl

Off to now....up at 5am :scared:

Speak to you all tomos no doubt
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:12 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Luverly post J. Hope it continues good for you and D

And during that first year you also found time to support me during the PR quest and I shall never forget that. Thanks and thanks again.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 12:40 pm
New South Welshie

<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold<")))>< is a splendid one to behold

We're newbies here...and I have to say that it's posts like this one that keeps us coming back to read more, time and time again.

Thank you Phoenix for filling us in on your year. A fascinating read.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:06 pm
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough

Great Post!!

It has served as a method of renewed hope! as we are still playing the waiting game with DIMIA. We spent a lot of time researching both before and while we visited Australia, and our opinions are pretty much the same.

What is worrying me at the moment is the job issue, whilst I will put my hand to anything to get food on the table, I would ideally like to stay in the environment I am skilled and comfortable in.

One questions do you have children that made the move with you, if so how did they take to settling in to the Aus life, and any general advice.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 2:13 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Great post mate.

I know you've had it tough at times but you've managed to come through it (relatively ) unscathed, good on ya

Hxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.