Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

one way flights!!

one way flights!!

Old May 11th 2015, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

trevnod is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry one way flights!!

Apologies if this has been mentioned in the forum already. Been looking for decently priced one way flights from the UK to Perth towards the end of the year (maybe October ish) and don't seem to be having much luck. I was able to book a return flight (for a holiday) for around £560 last month which I though was great. When I look for one way tickets I get around about the same price or more.

Now we all know that returns works out the best financially for us but c'mon, surely there's decent prices out there somewhere?! Don't think it helps that the Tory government in Britain charges too much in tax to leave our own country!
Old May 11th 2015, 12:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: one way flights!!

Originally Posted by trevnod
Apologies if this has been mentioned in the forum already. Been looking for decently priced one way flights from the UK to Perth towards the end of the year (maybe October ish) and don't seem to be having much luck. I was able to book a return flight (for a holiday) for around £560 last month which I though was great. When I look for one way tickets I get around about the same price or more.

Now we all know that returns works out the best financially for us but c'mon, surely there's decent prices out there somewhere?! Don't think it helps that the Tory government in Britain charges too much in tax to leave our own country!
You wait till you try and book from this end, prices for flights are generally higher when they start from Aus than from the UK....something to do with the Australian government charging peope to leave their own country

Seriously though, its generally true, you might be lucky and get a one-way at a bargain price, but often its cheaper to buy a return and cancel the second leg. Or book a return with the date as far ahead as possible and use it for a trip home next year. Then you get another return ticket and use the first leg of that to return here. Does depend how often you want to make trips home of course.
I don't think I'm the only one who has been effectively flying in reverse for several years due to prices!
Old May 11th 2015, 1:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If you think about it, GBP500-odd to fly to the other side of the world and back is pretty cheap - well it is to me anyway. It basically costs the same as it did in 1985 - 30 years ago

Enjoy
Old May 11th 2015, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

I miss air asia when I could get a return for around £400 :-(
Old May 11th 2015, 3:16 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You wait till you try and book from this end, prices for flights are generally higher when they start from Aus than from the UK....something to do with the Australian government charging peope to leave their own country

Seriously though, its generally true, you might be lucky and get a one-way at a bargain price, but often its cheaper to buy a return and cancel the second leg. Or book a return with the date as far ahead as possible and use it for a trip home next year. Then you get another return ticket and use the first leg of that to return here. Does depend how often you want to make trips home of course.
I don't think I'm the only one who has been effectively flying in reverse for several years due to prices!
Ditto everything written above.

Tickets starting from this end are usually priced much higher, so as mentioned above a lot of us just plan way ahead and book reverse return fares so that you are technically flying to Australia and back again, as opposed to flying from Australia and returning here.

Same with the 1-ways, they will virtually always be ridiculously-priced and buying a return on a good deal (and ditching the return leg) will save you money. Or as mentioned plan ahead and book those return flights so that the return leg is the first part of your next trip out of Australia.
Old May 11th 2015, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Does sound like a good plan. Only issue I can see is the the latest you can book the return leg is about 6 months down the line :-(
Old May 11th 2015, 7:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Does sound like a good plan. Only issue I can see is the the latest you can book the return leg is about 6 months down the line :-(
Check the conditions on the ticket and make sure the date is changeable/flexible, then when flights are released for the next few months you can push the date of the return forward, usually to abkut 12 months from the original flight. COsts a bit more but still cheaper overall.
eg Flight from London - Brisbane in August, when I booked it (to get a good price at the time) I coud only book for a November return, but I got a ticket class that allows date changes. I actually want the return to be in May and those dates will be released shortly so I will then change the return date. i could push it out to the end of July if I wanted to.
Old May 13th 2015, 10:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure you can blame the taxes on the Conservative government. It's not like they changed each time Labour took over the controls.
Old May 15th 2015, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Not sure you can blame the taxes on the Conservative government. It's not like they changed each time Labour took over the controls.
Get The Facts - A Fair Tax On Flying A Fair Tax On Flying

Kenneth Clarke was the culprit I think.