Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One wage in Sydney

One wage in Sydney

Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Dimples01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One wage in Sydney

Im hoping to move to Sydney on a 457 visa soon. I have been offered $120,000 inc Super. We are a family of 3 and wanted to gage if that kind of money is enough to live. we will rent for a while, as housing market in the UK is not great and I hope also to get LAFHA.
Also how long is it until I can apply for PR on the 457? Hope someone can help as Im new to this site.

Thanks
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:04 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One wage in Sydney

Originally Posted by Dimples01
Im hoping to move to Sydney on a 457 visa soon. I have been offered $120,000 inc Super. We are a family of 3 and wanted to gage if that kind of money is enough to live. we will rent for a while, as housing market in the UK is not great and I hope also to get LAFHA.
Also how long is it until I can apply for PR on the 457? Hope someone can help as Im new to this site.

Thanks
There are many threads on the site abut the cost of living - it really does depend on your expectations of what you want on whether $120 inc Super is enough. I do not think it would be enough for a 700K mortgage three nice cars and living on the beach with the kid in private school and big holidays every year. But I also think if you choose the area well for your needs have you can have decent time and you will enjoy yourselves. Remember Sydney is the capitol and as such as expensive as moving to some London areas - could you survive on 50K in London? Have you any idea where yo will be working - possibly need to give a few more details to allow people to help yo on costs etc of areas. Sydney is a hge place.

Also there is no relationship between timing of 457 and getting PR they are indepedent - if your company is offering to sponsor PR after you arrive why do they not do it now? It may be up to the company to see when they want to offer PR. You can apply any time you want for PR as long as your fufill the criteria for the visa.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

alan_blue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One wage in Sydney

cough cough canberra is the capital lol