Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

One step closer, maybe...

One step closer, maybe...

Old Feb 25th 2016, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One step closer, maybe...

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Thanks for the info. Would I have to go through Geelong, looks like I'd bypass it?

'Interesting' is that like when the press use the term 'colourful character'?
Yes you bypass Geelong these days.....That road under the Westgate traverses the old bad part of the Melbourne Docks, including the refineries, container yards, past Coode Island, which exploded here back in the 90s.... yet with river and parkland views and some old dockland buildings.... Then you get to the upmarket parts of Port Melbourne....

Oh and I didn't realise that the part of Williamstown Rd south of the Westgate freeway on the Willamstown side, becomes Melbourne Rd.... Just a continuation of the main road into "Willy".... Still the same 'mare at times.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Feb 25th 2016 at 10:54 am.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

To get to Geelong (or beyond) from Willy you'd take Kororoit Creek Rd - traffic-free bliss, if not especially scenic
I read in The Age recently that Wtown has the best / least bad traffic of anywhere in Melbourne, and in my experience that's true.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 1:30 am
Just Joined

bimble is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Hoping you good folks can help me out. Back a while, there was a Syd vs Melb thread and I think way back there was a thread about living in Williamstown, Vic. I'm buggered if I can find them now though

Would be a good read, particularly the Melb stuff. Sydney, I'm 'pretty' familiar with ( not sure if I lived there the longest on this board, must be close though!). Cronulla, Nth Narra etc.

I'm weighing up lifestyles, in particular regards to surfing (and the associated costs with housing that would bring), against living near the sea with no surf (W'town, Brighton etc). Plus of course cycle racing.

Mrs TB is keen for me to live the lifestyle that I want but I don't want this if it will break the bank and of course, I'm less flexible these days, so my competitive short boarding days are numbered. I have two friends that live in W'town and one of them reckons they can be at Bells in 50 mins, which seems optimistic to me?

Also I have other priorities regarding Flipper's education etc. Lousy kids, who'd 'ave em
Brighton/Hampton are ridiculously expensive, so depends on your budget, Williamstown might be better. Though Brighton/Hampton is great for cycling and beach going (without the surf), plus the schools are great. Probably comes down to what your willing to pay for the lifestyle!
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bimble
Brighton/Hampton are ridiculously expensive, so depends on your budget, Williamstown might be better. Though Brighton/Hampton is great for cycling and beach going (without the surf), plus the schools are great. Probably comes down to what your willing to pay for the lifestyle!
Thanks, we'll do some more digging. The main issue for us is that whilst we're very experienced Sydneysiders, we are not very experienced parents and having such a young daughter at such an old age,miss very difficult to know how much to balance lifestyle, mortgage ( unfortunately we'll need one I think), super, retirement ( not sure why I'm worried about that ) and education needs. Hence thinking Melb.

Things I've never had to think about for years suddenly loom large. With regards to cycling, I'm pretty familiar with most areas but need to get my head around the racing scene more than training.

Anyway, we'll see. The way the AUD is going, we could settling on Dorset yet!
Old Mar 5th 2016, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh bit of a cliff hanger episode yesterday....

The UK role for the Mgr in Turkey has not been fully released yet due to the fact that HR are about as useful as a chocolate teapot and the local coordinating business sponsors have been away.

So I'm all set to finish on March 24th, and still mulling over the quote for my operation, and wondering which board shorts to take to Gran Canaria when I get a call from said Mgr who asked if I would be willing to contract for her for 3mths whilst they sort out the perm role.

In her words ' I only want you' ( which I assume is for my work ability and not my devilishly good looks ). I also get to up my rate by £50 a day and there are big promises about work/life balance.

I have the weekend to think about it. It might not be a bad idea, I can see what the AUD / Brexit saga is doing in the meantime and also see if the Oz housing market is moving ( good or bad). Could also be a decent test run for any perm role working in this team. Only downside is it prevents us from moving anywhere right now.

Stay tuned