Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:42 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Originally Posted by sloake
Niamo Robinson - racist bi**ch who presents the "current affairs" program Today Tonight.. more like racist bollocks
Oh, one more thing.. the amount of crap american imports on TV.. honestly do we really need to see CSI Miami, followed by CSI New York, followed by CSI Alaska, the whole night...

apart from the TV, Racist attitude of certain reporters... thats it... still wake up happy every day to be here...
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:08 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

apart from the TV, Racist attitude of certain reporters... thats it... still wake up happy every day to be here...
I couldn't believe a news presenter on the radio yesterday....

"Qantas are outsourcing 340 IT jobs to India of all places"
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:32 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
I couldn't believe a news presenter on the radio yesterday....

"Qantas are outsourcing 340 IT jobs to India of all places"
ha ha

Australia hasn't grasped the concept of globalisation at all.. The other day they were complaining that some shop was importing nescafe from over seas, and not buying the locally produced twice as expensive version.

its all nescafe, but its better to buy the australian made nescafe.. as overseas nescafe is unaustralian...

that said, its a shame qantas are off shoring, cheap ba**ards...
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The babytalk culture:

Arvo
Garbo
Brekkie
Ute
Pollies
etc etc

It's the way the Monty Python team talked to the babies in the pram! OK, it's the "culture" but in any other country they'd put you in a kindergarten for it...........
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:23 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=busterboy][QUOTE=arkon]
Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy

...but there will be little opportunity for nude skinny dipping and your ability to scare the llamas with your ample gifts when you are back in Blighty dear old chum.
Well I think I can forgo the skinny dipping in exchange for a better life again.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
Your right forgot to mention......

The daft amount of time it takes to become a citizen
You can pay taxes but you can't vote.

But if you hate it here so much why do you want to become a citizen???

And I think every country you work in makes you pay taxes, even though you have no voting rights....not specific to any country.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 12:02 am
chilled member

Originally Posted by Pomster

And I think every country you work in makes you pay taxes, even though you have no voting rights....not specific to any country.
no taxation with out representation... not a bad call to arms..

personally I cant stand the fact that I cant vote, even though I pay tax, own a house, use the services etc.. grrrrr
Old Oct 21st 2006, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Really, really hate the house buying process (auction process). Basically if you think the UK system sucks if you are a seller apply that same crapness and lack of control to being a buyer over here (SYDNEY). We are at present looking to buy and the area we are looking in 99% of properties sell at auction and the auction completion rate is very high.

So as a buyer you get herded round open homes with lots of other people, you then ask the price and are told an approximation give or take $50,000K, so basically no official price of what the seller wants, then if you do like it you have a building survey done and get a solicitor to look at the contract, still without knowing the price of the property. You lay out $400 getting the survey done, go to the auction, and you have a budget of $850k and the property goes for $880K so you are $400 out of pocket and have to do the same all over again. Not to mention potential 'fake bids' to push the price up (yes it's illegal but it happens) and not to mention the 'vendor bid' ??? Put a price on your house don't bid on it yourself.

It sucks give me a vendor who will name there price as in the UK, don't care that it takes 4 months to complete as opposed to 6 weeks at least i'd have a ghost of a chance buying something. Here it is so unbelievable crap for buyers.

I like most other things though but this process is a rip off to buyers.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 12:41 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hubbard
Really, really hate the house buying process (auction process). Basically if you think the UK system sucks if you are a seller apply that same crapness and lack of control to being a buyer over here (SYDNEY). We are at present looking to buy and the area we are looking in 99% of properties sell at auction and the auction completion rate is very high.

So as a buyer you get herded round open homes with lots of other people, you then ask the price and are told an approximation give or take $50,000K, so basically no official price of what the seller wants, then if you do like it you have a building survey done and get a solicitor to look at the contract, still without knowing the price of the property. You lay out $400 getting the survey done, go to the auction, and you have a budget of $850k and the property goes for $880K so you are $400 out of pocket and have to do the same all over again. Not to mention potential 'fake bids' to push the price up (yes it's illegal but it happens) and not to mention the 'vendor bid' ??? Put a price on your house don't bid on it yourself.

It sucks give me a vendor who will name there price as in the UK, don't care that it takes 4 months to complete as opposed to 6 weeks at least i'd have a ghost of a chance buying something. Here it is so unbelievable crap for buyers.

I like most other things though but this process is a rip off to buyers.
And agents that really don't give a flying ****!

Catch ya later, we're off to look at some more.
Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:36 am
Banned

smurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to beholdsmurtaza is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
OK here are the rules:

After this we need a thread for the official what I DO like about Oz Thread.

I'll go first with my entry below. At the end of a month we can see how many pet hates and loves there are on each thread

cheers
    High Fuel/Petrol crisis and prices.Even countries like India/Pakistan/Morocco didn't reported any fuel crisis or prices.The pace of life is too slow or sluggish as compared to US/UK.Australia is a place for old and retired people who had already lived a long fast paced life in UK/Europe or USA and just want to enjoy sunshine,quietness and sky now.
    Old Oct 21st 2006, 1:47 am
    Forum Regular

kaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to beholdkaiajo is a splendid one to behold

Blokes with silly partial beards
    People going shopping in bare feet - why?????
    Obsession with coffee
    Crap supermarkets
    Cyclists - I'm sick of looking at lycra arses
    Australia is the best place in the world/best at everything attitude
    "Princess" Mary
    Poor TV choice
    Isolation - so far from anywhere
    Crap pubs with no atmosphere
    Pure dullness of life here - I'm in my 40s and feel like I'm in my 90s
    Low wages/high cost of living
    Screaming idiots on TV/radio commercials/programs - it's like living in a lunatic asylum
    Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:09 am
    Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, one more thing.. the amount of crap american imports on TV.. honestly do we really need to see CSI Miami, followed by CSI New York, followed by CSI Alaska, the whole night...

There's a CSI Alaska? Oh my god, I've missed out!
    Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:12 am
    Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaiajo
    Cyclists - I'm sick of looking at lycra arses

Pure dullness of life here - I'm in my 40s and feel like I'm in my 90s
    There are cyclists in the UK too... more and more of the buggers hogging the roads who seem unable to ride in single or double file. Driving round the roads in Bucks, it was a miracle I didn't kill a whole pod of the sods.

Why are so many people finding it dull? I'm having a blast... doing lots of stuff... Why so dull for you K?
    Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:23 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Speed limits changing all the time (you spend so much time looking at your odometer and not the road)
    Low speed limits (yes I know that they are only 70pmh in the Uk but you can quite often go faster!)
    Blinkered car drivers
    Undertaking
    So many traffic lights and pedestrian crossings (may only apply to Bayside in Melbourne but it drives me nuts, especially when you are trying to get someone fast!)
    All the fat cut off a rib of beef (yes I know it is bad for you but you don't have to eat it - it gives flavour to the roast and also provides dripping!)
    People walking around barefoot

Last edited by Vanessa; Oct 21st 2006 at 2:29 am.
    Old Oct 21st 2006, 2:25 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
    There are cyclists in the UK too... more and more of the buggers hogging the roads who seem unable to ride in single or double file. Driving round the roads in Bucks, it was a miracle I didn't kill a whole pod of the sods.

Why are so many people finding it dull? I'm having a blast... doing lots of stuff... Why so dull for you K?
    In the UK I have never seen anything like the volume of cyclists you get in Melbourne, especially along the Beach Road on Saturday and Sunday mornings (I am one of them )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.