Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 8:57 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Is it? I thought Australian wages were "crap." That's what people keep telling me. So I can only assume that $3500 gross a week is "crap."

After all, if sassenach and his OH can only survive on a joint wage of $3500 gross per week by "applied effort and sacrifice", then $3500 must be extremely "crap" indeed.

I honestly thought you were joking, but I'm not sure you are!

At nearly £1500 gross/week, that's a salary equivalent of £78k gross, probably more like £75k without the rounding. Pretty good by most peoples standards and several multiples on average salaries. Nowhere near what hubbie earns in London with the long hours and 3 hour daily commute! It's all relative though and one mans pride is another's poison and all that.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
I honestly thought you were joking, but I'm not sure you are!

At nearly £1500 gross/week, that's a salary equivalent of £78k gross, probably more like £75k without the rounding. Pretty good by most peoples standards and several multiples on average salaries. Nowhere near what hubbie earns in London with the long hours and 3 hour daily commute! It's all relative though and one mans pride is another's poison and all that.
$3500 per week gross is very good in Perth no matter what anyone says.Its all about what you want the same as the U.K ( latest car, big house e.t.c)
My brother in Perth earns about a quarter of that and finds it hard but he survives.
Some people will always spend more than they earn so will never earn enough.
I earn less than $3500 gross in the U.K and live in the south. Wife does not work and I have 2 kids and live quite well.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:06 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by halcyon 52
$3500 per week gross is very good in Perth no matter what anyone says.Its all about what you want the same as the U.K ( latest car, big house e.t.c)
My brother in Perth earns about a quarter of that and finds it hard but he survives.
Some people will always spend more than they earn so will never earn enough.
I earn less than $3500 gross in the U.K and live in the south. Wife does not work and I have 2 kids and live quite well.
I agree we earn good money ,but i have friends here in the construction industry who do big commercial work and are earning in excess of 5000 a week ,but they lay out 30000 -40000 a week on wages on overdraft .The bottom line is the more you are willing to risk ie home ,threat of bankruptcy ,workers doing you for workers comp ,laying out 40-50000 up front on 3 installments for workers comp insurance ,the bigger the return .Jobs that pay a 1000-1500 a week here in perth are two a penny if you want to ramp it up and earn a lot more ,you have to take on more responsibility and debt ,and dont forget a fair proportion of high in come is taxed at 48 percent and it is a known fact there isnt much lifestyle difference between earning 50000 here and 100000 because of tax liability ,this is why any one who earns a good income must invest in property and negative gear against tax .
I have been in both positions having earnt shit money and real good money and to be serious i have been happy either way ,as long as the bills where paid i never cared .But for those that are coming here ,you can easily earn 5000 a week but be prepared to risk all and for those that cant take the chance they will be stuck in the 1000 dollar a week bracket for ever ,always looking at people who are on the outside doing better than themselves.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clippies
:scared: That's loads of money!
I thought that too! I thought Vash was being sarcastic!!! (sorry Vash)

Me n Matt bring home approx $1400/week!!! Please note we are child free. But we don't struggle, we go out for posh meals and buy fancy clothes!!

I'm a Mac Operator in a printing house - on $22.50/hr
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
But for those that are coming here ,you can easily earn 5000 a week but be prepared to risk all and for those that cant take the chance they will be stuck in the 1000 dollar a week bracket for ever ,always looking at people who are on the outside doing better than themselves.
Hmmm, can't say I feel like a person on the outside looking in.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 4:53 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I agree we earn good money ,but i have friends here in the construction industry who do big commercial work and are earning in excess of 5000 a week ,but they lay out 30000 -40000 a week on wages on overdraft .The bottom line is the more you are willing to risk ie home ,threat of bankruptcy ,workers doing you for workers comp ,laying out 40-50000 up front on 3 installments for workers comp insurance ,the bigger the return .Jobs that pay a 1000-1500 a week here in perth are two a penny if you want to ramp it up and earn a lot more ,you have to take on more responsibility and debt ,and dont forget a fair proportion of high in come is taxed at 48 percent and it is a known fact there isnt much lifestyle difference between earning 50000 here and 100000 because of tax liability ,this is why any one who earns a good income must invest in property and negative gear against tax .
I have been in both positions having earnt shit money and real good money and to be serious i have been happy either way ,as long as the bills where paid i never cared .But for those that are coming here ,you can easily earn 5000 a week but be prepared to risk all and for those that cant take the chance they will be stuck in the 1000 dollar a week bracket for ever ,always looking at people who are on the outside doing better than themselves.
Not sure about this. I earn a mid 6 figure income (way in excess of $1000 but less than $5000) & take absolutely no risk. Normal skilled people in Perth can earn high salaries without taking the risks you outline.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 5:45 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not sure about this. I earn a mid 6 figure income (way in excess of $1000 but less than $5000) & take absolutely no risk. Normal skilled people in Perth can earn high salaries without taking the risks you outline.
i am stateing how it is for us in the building industry ,if you are achieving the same without any risk then fair play to you .We in the building operate on a price per thousand or so much a square metre and we are governed by how much we can achieve by the number of hours in a day ,skill level ,number of employees etc ,if none of these things effect you then you are laughing all the way to the bank .
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:09 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

it is a known fact there isnt much lifestyle difference between earning 50000 here and 100000 because of tax liability ,this is why any one who earns a good income must invest in property and negative gear against tax .
Plenty of better tax havens than property around.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by thebears
Plenty of better tax havens than property around.
please enlighten me ,i am always interested in a a new tax avoidance scam that is legitamate .
Its not investing in the banana plantation on the norfolk island ,is it ?
Old Jul 24th 2006, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

halcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to allhalcyon 52 is a name known to all

Hi there.
I see what you mean but its the same here.
The guy I contract to most of the time has about 10 of us and his wage bill is massive week in week out. He has a big house and kids in private school and a porsche, he also has a huge overdraft and morgtage and if things dry up he cannot earn enough on his own to fund his lifestyle. I am not phased by what he has got as he has taken a gamble and its paid off, he is a really nice guy but my point is its all about choice.
I am not in a big house but still do what I want to do in terms of meals out, holidays, clothes e.t.c. so in real terms is he any better off. I have more spare time than him and see my kids more. If I want something within reason I can afford it so who is better off?
The more you earn the higher up the ladder you go and the bills still piss you off the same. Its very hard for many of us to be happy with what we have got but if you can be you will want for nothing. I took my kids down the river yesterday and we spotted fish, there face was a picture and this was free, have spent £`s before on a day out and had a shit time.
Sorry to go all deep and meaningful and best wishes.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Hi there.
The guy I contract to most of the time has about 10 of us and his wage bill is massive week in week out. He has a big house and kids in private school and a porsche, he also has a huge overdraft and morgtage and if things dry up he cannot earn enough on his own to fund his lifestyle. I am not phased by what he has got as he has taken a gamble and its paid off, he is a really nice guy but my point is its all about choice.
I am not in a big house but still do what I want to do in terms of meals out, holidays, clothes e.t.c. so in real terms is he any better off. I have more spare time than him and see my kids more. If I want something within reason I can afford it so who is better off?
The more you earn the higher up the ladder you go and the bills still piss you off the same. Its very hard for many of us to be happy with what we have got but if you can be you will want for nothing. I took my kids down the river yesterday and we spotted fish, there face was a picture and this was free, have spent £`s before on a day out and had a shit time.
Very well said. Wealth can not always be measured in $$$. Whats the point in having a huge income if you could lose everything at the drop of a hat? Sometimes stability and consistency are of great importance..
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:58 am
Banned

Hi there.
I agree entirely .It is the tall poppy syndrome chopper downerers i cant stand ,who do nothing but whinge about what the guy has got ,when as you say he is just taking a risk and at the end of the day we all take calculated risks somewhere from our first mortgage to our first car loan .
Obviously your children are young or youngish whereas mine are in their 20s and late teens ,when they where little i never ever worked the weeekends and always made that family time ,and it seems you are doing the same and believe me its the right way to go .
When we end up with grand kids thatll be me for good in regards to long hours and responsibility .
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:37 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dh1905
Hi everyone,
Thought it would be a good idea for the people not yet here in Oz who are researching,to get an idea of the wages paid here and for what job (and for the people here in Oz who just want to be nosey ) .As this is info I found hard to get hold of in the UK.
Although, if you would rather not disclose all your personal details, just popdown what you are happy with people knowing, I'm sure it would be a help.

Me- not working
Hubby- Carpenter on $30 an hr

We are on the Gold Coast.

Donna xxx
According to the Robert Walters 2006 salary survey for Brisbane, I should be able to expect between 65k -90k as a Senior Software Developer....Here's hoping...
Old Jul 27th 2006, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told [ahem] the market rate in Perth for a J2EE/Oracle/etc developer is between $50 and $60 per hour AFTER superannuation deduction. Some pay more, some pay less. Permanent positions obviously pay less, one personal offer I had was at least 20% less than contract rates. I don't know the exact contract rates in London but they are a LOT higher than that.

I don't envy the lads making big money on the sites. They work LONG hours for it and when the building boom slackens off, a lot of people are going to be in deep trouble.

If you want to come to Australia for the money - don't. If you want to come for a good lifestyle, great. I've been here 5 months and so far its all been gravy [excepting the suicidally bad, stupid and ignorant driving in WA. Anyone under the age of 25 driving a V8 commodore should have it confiscated and be given a moped in exchange].
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

priti1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi dear,
well i am priti from india and very soon i m migrating to australia. i m experienced hair dresser as well as beautician . can you please give me the information regarding this job? i will wait for your replay. thank you.
[

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.