Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:04 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Originally Posted by tygwyn
No, been here 6 months this week and had 3 interviews, cant seem to get any interest in my CV. The wife works and gets about 41k so things are a little tight.

I'm in Kariong on the Central Coast but looking at moving up the coast to Brisbane, although i'm not sure if its just going to be more of the same up there.

My friend is in a similiar situation as you - been here 5 months and just cant get anything. Thebears on here has offered to look at her CV for her (waiting for him to get back to me though - CAN YOU HEAR ME THEBEARS?? ). Maybe he could have a look at yours too? Any input might help?

Good luck [/QUOTE]

What, what i was just starting to hibernate.
Were they not going to PM me?

Very happy to have a look for you/them
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:06 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears

I did PM you asking you for your email address - shes not a member of the board Thanks again!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:07 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I did PM you asking you for your email address - shes not a member of the board

TIA[/QUOTE]

Oops

PM on the way dear
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:45 am
An Official Visa Holder

toon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond reputetoon williams has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know what sort of salary Sheet Metal Workers are on?? In Adelaide??
Old Jul 19th 2006, 11:50 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toon williams
Anyone know what sort of salary Sheet Metal Workers are on?? In Adelaide??
Hubby is a sheet metal worker / airframe fitter and is on $42k + overtime taking him up to around $60k. I'm sure the salaries for this trade will vary a lot though. We're in NSW

HTH
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I can see where Vash is coming from; one minute good old Aussie pays pittance, now it seems people do OK after all.............

I got 50bucks an hour my first job 100kish pa, then 60bucks an hour my second - quite low contract rates in fact - I now would expect 60ish minimum - maybe 80ish.

I'm now on 80k (permy) which I could increase easily really - in IT, but the job is quite cushy so I'm not too concerned. Might ask for another 5-10k at review time.
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:06 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Good on you I say! You're working extremely hard to earn an honest buck - dont see why you should be criticised for it?! Obviously I'm as jealous as hell though!!
Thanks tygwyn,i do know also what it is like here in the west when booms go bang ,everything just dies off totally .When we arrived in 91 in the middle of the recession we had to have ,i was greated at immigration with the remark ''dont know why you have come here ,theres no work '' and how right she was .
The first job i managed to get after about six months of trying and i was earning exactly half what i had left behind in the uk .
But australia is not any different to the uk in the respect of ''its who you know ''and that takes years to build up and you hope when the hard times come again the people you know will carry you through
So i make hay while the sun shines and hopefully sit on my arse when the work dies off .
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:12 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
Thanks tygwyn,i do know also what it is like here in the west when booms go bang ,everything just dies off totally .When we arrived in 91 in the middle of the recession we had to have ,i was greated at immigration with the remark ''dont know why you have come here ,theres no work '' and how right she was .
The first job i managed to get after about six months of trying and i was earning exactly half what i had left behind in the uk .
But australia is not any different to the uk in the respect of ''its who you know ''and that takes years to build up and you hope when the hard times come again the people you know will carry you through
So i make hay while the sun shines and hopefully sit on my arse when the work dies off .
Lol, good plan
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:13 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I can see where Vash is coming from; one minute good old Aussie pays pittance, now it seems people do OK after all.............

I got 50bucks an hour my first job 100kish pa, then 60bucks an hour my second - quite low contract rates in fact - I now would expect 60ish minimum - maybe 80ish.

I'm now on 80k (permy) which I could increase easily really - in IT, but the job is quite cushy so I'm not too concerned. Might ask for another 5-10k at review time.
I agree also with vashies sentiments too ,but without turning this into a australia V uk income debate .I would like to get something straight i dont believe there is a lot of difference in income for manuel worker between here and the uk ,and for IT australia seems worse .But i will give australia credit in that if you are prepared to put a lot of hours in ,you will reap the rewards for your hard labour and people will remember you foer getting the job done ,also australia has the perfect climate for construction workers ,who by and large are guranteed a full week every week .
Old Jul 19th 2006, 12:32 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree also with vashies sentiments too ,but without turning this into a australia V uk income debate .I would like to get something straight i dont believe there is a lot of difference in income for manuel worker between here and the uk ,and for IT australia seems worse .But i will give australia credit in that if you are prepared to put a lot of hours in ,you will reap the rewards for your hard labour and people will remember you foer getting the job done ,also australia has the perfect climate for construction workers ,who by and large are guranteed a full week every week .
I can't tell you how reassuring that is to hear - Dale is so worried about not being able to support us as he does here. He is a true grafter and very good at his job so hopefully he'll get on well, still a worry though. Just hope that carpentry work is always in demand!
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Clippies
I can't tell you how reassuring that is to hear - Dale is so worried about not being able to support us as he does here. He is a true grafter and very good at his job so hopefully he'll get on well, still a worry though. Just hope that carpentry work is always in demand!
Australia is full of one and two man bands in the building industry and i am sure once dale has found his feet he will be fine .I know here in perth there seems to be two different carpenters ie cut roof carpenters and internal fix carpenters .
If you are coming to perth i suggest looking up Dale alcock ,perceptions ,beaumonde homes ,BGC these are project builders and are hiring roofing and internal carpenters on price all the time .If you aare heading east id try and look up some east coast builders and make a few calls .
A good way to start when first coming over is to answer an add for a ''hammerhand '' this will give you the necessary experience to learn how to cut rooves in ,as i know its all truss work in the uk but here their is still a tendancy for each roof to be cut individually due to all house designs being differnt .This will prbably earn you up to 200 bucks a day but its worth doing and after you can buy all the gear and go out on your own and earn 2000 plus a week ,and its as easy as that
Old Jul 19th 2006, 1:46 pm

Australia is full of one and two man bands in the building industry and i am sure once dale has found his feet he will be fine .I know here in perth there seems to be two different carpenters ie cut roof carpenters and internal fix carpenters .
If you are coming to perth i suggest looking up Dale alcock ,perceptions ,beaumonde homes ,BGC these are project builders and are hiring roofing and internal carpenters on price all the time .If you aare heading east id try and look up some east coast builders and make a few calls .
A good way to start when first coming over is to answer an add for a ''hammerhand '' this will give you the necessary experience to learn how to cut rooves in ,as i know its all truss work in the uk but here their is still a tendancy for each roof to be cut individually due to all house designs being differnt .This will prbably earn you up to 200 bucks a day but its worth doing and after you can buy all the gear and go out on your own and earn 2000 plus a week ,and its as easy as that
That's brilliant thanks, we are heading to Perth - I'm going to read this post to Dale when he gets in. If he's still standing it's 36 degrees today and he's not allowed to wear shorts on site :scared:
Old Jul 19th 2006, 6:05 pm
is it me or dave

The Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really niceThe Chief is just really nice

Info required

any posties out there and nusery nurses for oh

cheers
Old Jul 19th 2006, 9:42 pm

Just wanted to say I've read this to Dale now and it's reassured him, so thanks again. He does cut roofs here, not often as there's not much call but he does know how to do them so that's a bonus
Old Jul 19th 2006, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of

I have a nursery nurse qualifcation and enquired about jobs, the pay was aprox $13 for an assistant and $17 for a group leader, if you work on a casual basis (as and when they want you) then you get better at around $20.
These are just the average thet I found and I'm sure does vary from employer to employer and place to place.

Sorry no idea aout posties,
Donna

Originally Posted by The Chief
Info required

any posties out there and nusery nurses for oh

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.