Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

the official jobs/wages thread...

the official jobs/wages thread...

Old Oct 12th 2006, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all
Default Re: the official jobs/wages thread...

Plasterer/Perth

Hubby (Set) $6.50 per square metre 150-200 metres per day

Son 18 (apprentice plasterer) $140 per day

Wife (Plasterers Labourer....I kid you not..) $14 hr.
Old Oct 12th 2006, 9:23 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaz&Dee
Plasterer/Perth

Hubby (Set) $6.50 per square metre 150-200 metres per day

Son 18 (apprentice plasterer) $140 per day

Wife (Plasterers Labourer....I kid you not..) $14 hr.
Wow, good for you - do you work on site as a plasterers labourer or in houses? Wondered how a female was accepted amongst the tradies - my hubby been working on sites for years and said he's never seen a female tradie
Old Oct 13th 2006, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all

I only work for my OH, he sub-contracts of Plastering firms, so it's mainly houses. I do get the odd second look but everyone I have come across has been nothing more than pleasant to me.

I haven't seen any other women as yet but hubby has seen them helping brickies/tilers and painters. I don't think it's uncommon here for women to be seen on building sites but I do know one thing.....I certainly couldn't do it back home!
Old Oct 13th 2006, 6:18 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaz&Dee
I only work for my OH, he sub-contracts of Plastering firms, so it's mainly houses. I do get the odd second look but everyone I have come across has been nothing more than pleasant to me.

I haven't seen any other women as yet but hubby has seen them helping brickies/tilers and painters. I don't think it's uncommon here for women to be seen on building sites but I do know one thing.....I certainly couldn't do it back home!
Ah well done you, that's really encouraging - I know my hubby has said that he'd eventually like to set up on his own out there and wants me to go out and measure up and things, so it's encouraging to know it's working for you
Old Oct 13th 2006, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby went to see an Agency today, so thought I'd pass some info on.

In South Australia an Electrician can expect to earn between $20 and $25 per hour working for an employer once they are fully licenced. Casual workers can expect to get another 25% on top of that to cover the lack of sick/holiday pay etc.

Of course, a contractor could probably get more, but we haven't looked into that much just yet as it's still early days for us. I do know though that they charge $5 a point for a new build and expect to do about 100 per day (2 houses) when there is enough work.
Old Oct 14th 2006, 6:56 pm
new guy

Jonty Johnston will become famous soon enoughJonty Johnston will become famous soon enough

Hi,
We are moving on New Tears Day. I have completed 22years in the British Army, the majority working in Intelligence in Northern Ireland. Moving to Penrith, and lookingfor a job in security/Police etc anyone help/advise???

New Years Day even

Last edited by Jonty Johnston; Oct 14th 2006 at 7:01 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Daxver will become famous soon enoughDaxver will become famous soon enough

I am sorry if this is a question that has already been answered, i have heard that the prices of renting a home in perth is sky high.
me and my family are moving out june next year and are worried about low wages and high rental costs. i am a tradesman in wall and floor tiling as i will have to go for employment what weekly wage in A$ can i expect? is there plenty work? my wife works for the police in the control room and for the asbo teams is there work there and how much???? cheers
not looking to be a millionaire just to live. and relax at weekends.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:36 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daxver
I am sorry if this is a question that has already been answered, i have heard that the prices of renting a home in perth is sky high.
me and my family are moving out june next year and are worried about low wages and high rental costs. i am a tradesman in wall and floor tiling as i will have to go for employment what weekly wage in A$ can i expect? is there plenty work? my wife works for the police in the control room and for the asbo teams is there work there and how much???? cheers
not looking to be a millionaire just to live. and relax at weekends.
Rental costs in Perth are relatively low compared to the UK. You should get a nice house for well under $300/week.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 3:00 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Any information on the mining engineering? We're looking to go to Hunter Valley, New South Wales. Right now we're not that interested in going to Western Australia as everything is fly in fly out or at very remote.

Haley
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:02 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonty Johnston
Hi,
We are moving on New Tears Day. I have completed 22years in the British Army, the majority working in Intelligence in Northern Ireland. Moving to Penrith, and lookingfor a job in security/Police etc anyone help/advise???

New Years Day even
New Tears Day? That isn't even phonetic Irish prenounciation?

So, you're a spook?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 4:49 am
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
Any information on the mining engineering? We're looking to go to Hunter Valley, New South Wales. Right now we're not that interested in going to Western Australia as everything is fly in fly out or at very remote.

Haley
every other job in the Newcastle Herald is for mining work, one of the best paid jobs it seems.

hubbie painter $20 an hour :scared:
me zilch

total weekly income just under $700 a week, 2 kids, one at school, one pre-school. i need a job, but cant until the little one is in school (pre-school not opened yet!!)
.................money is very tight at the moment. any other painters out there? oh yes, he is on casual, if taken on permanent, his hourly rate drops!! great huh?
Old Oct 18th 2006, 11:56 am
new guy

Jonty Johnston will become famous soon enoughJonty Johnston will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
New Tears Day? That isn't even phonetic Irish prenounciation?

So, you're a spook?
boo
Old Oct 19th 2006, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Can anyone tell me what carpenters are earning in Melbourne these days. OH was working as a shuttering chippie there about 9 or so years ago when on a working holiday visa and was getting around $250 a day.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Jcqdnld is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Does anyone know what a Painter & Decorator gets paid in Adelaide or Hobart?

Thanks Jacqui
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:02 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jcqdnld
Hi

Does anyone know what a Painter & Decorator gets paid in Adelaide or Hobart?

Thanks Jacqui

hiya jaqui,,,,,going off what hubbie has discuessed with his work colleagues, not bloody much, sorry. i thought he was getting paid pittance because he was a pom/immigrant. apparantly, they all get paid roughly the same amount, its just that their wifes work to suplement their incomes (whereas i dont at the mo, as daughter not in pre-school/school).

the pay is crap....dont know what the answer is......if you find out let me know.....maybe self-employment?

good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.