Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obscure Rules in Oz

Obscure Rules in Oz

Old May 13th 2005, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obscure Rules in Oz

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Not lost anything except the will to argue with someone whos too stubborn to admit that laws governing whether people should leave kids in cars are a good thing.

Whether its a general law or a specific law is irrelevant, if it makes people more aware & can save a childs life or from being injured its has to be a plus. Pity you dont see it as such.

Sheesh Alright, last try, I have to go ring my folks in moment...

In the UK it is well accepted that leaving your kids in a locked car in hot weather, with the kids locked in and the windows up would get you prosecuted. There is no specific law stating, ' thou shalt not EVER leave your kids alone in the car'. Its a common sense thing.

Over here, I know the weather is warmer, but then people are aware of that, but they do have the law 'thou shalt not EVER leave your kids alone in the car' even if its 15 degrees, and pissing with rain, and you've got the windows open. So no room for common sense. Its the nanny state as I said earlier. But apparently thats me losing the plot

Much better we have the government dictate everything, allowing no leeway for common sense decisions. I notice childhood obeisity is becoming a major killer, hows about a law on that next 4+ Mcdonalds a month and you're busted,

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 12:13 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Sheesh Alright, last try, I have to go ring my folks in moment...

In the UK it is well accepted that leaving your kids in a locked car in hot weather, with the kids locked in and the windows up would get you prosecuted. There is no specific law stating, ' thou shalt not EVER leave your kids alone in the car'. Its a common sense thing.

Over here, I know the weather is warmer, but then people are aware of that, but they do have the law 'thou shalt not EVER leave your kids alone in the car' even if its 15 degrees, and pissing with rain, and you've got the windows open. So no room for common sense. Its the nanny state as I said earlier. But apparently thats me losing the plot

Much better we have the government dictate everything, allowing no leeway for common sense decisions. I notice childhood obeisity is becoming a major killer, hows about a law on that next 4+ Mcdonalds a month and you're busted,

Cheers,
JTL
As there doesn't seem to be a specific law against leaving kids in cars, does that mean that Australia is not a nanny state?

Regards
Alistair
PS: Smooth change of subject there.

Last edited by kirsty&al; May 13th 2005 at 12:16 pm.
Old May 13th 2005, 12:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
As there doesn't seem to be a specific law against leaving kids in cars, does that mean that Australia is not a nanny state?

Regards
Alistair
PS: Smooth change of subject there.
What??? Now you are losing the plot. It is illegal to leave a child in the car alone in Australia. Its not in the UK. So specifically, Australia has designed their law to make it illegal ,at any time, to leave a kid alone in the car. In the UK they leave it down to common sense.

You will still get busted in the UK if you leave them in the car in hot weather with the windows shut and the doors locked.

But in Oz, regardless of whether it is a danger to the health and safety of the child you will get prosecuted for leaving your child alone in the car, even for a minute, on a rainy day, in winter, in 15 degrees, with the windows open. Same goes for dogs. Its a stupid, nanny state law.

Yes, you should get prosecuted for leaving kids or dogs in dangerous situations, but what are they trying to do? Decide for us what is a dangerous situation?

Anyway, this has got very very boring,

JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 12:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Its a stupid, nanny state law.
You've hit the nail on the head. Australia is the ultimate nanny state. So much for the easy going image they project internationally.
Old May 13th 2005, 12:35 pm

What??? Now you are losing the plot. It is illegal to leave a child in the car alone in Australia. Its not in the UK. So specifically, Australia has designed their law to make it illegal ,at any time, to leave a kid alone in the car. In the UK they leave it down to common sense.

You will still get busted in the UK if you leave them in the car in hot weather with the windows shut and the doors locked.

But in Oz, regardless of whether it is a danger to the health and safety of the child you will get prosecuted for leaving your child alone in the car, even for a minute, on a rainy day, in winter, in 15 degrees, with the windows open. Same goes for dogs. Its a stupid, nanny state law.

Yes, you should get prosecuted for leaving kids or dogs in dangerous situations, but what are they trying to do? Decide for us what is a dangerous situation?

Anyway, this has got very very boring,

JTL
Show me the specific law and I will believe you. The only one I have seen is “endangering the health of children under 12 by exposure”, which I reckon is a general law (in the same vein as the UK law).

Regards
Alistair
Old May 13th 2005, 12:36 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Over here, I know the weather is warmer, but then people are aware of that
If people are so aware of it, why is that kids (& dogs) still get left in cars? Maybe aussies are more stupid than poms, I dont know. But if it saves a childs life, IMO it's a good thing.

Using your argument, we shouldnt have laws against drink driving either, if someone gets killed or injured in an accident involving alcohol they should simply be charged with manslaughter or something. But having specific laws saying you shouldnt drink & drive makes for a nanny state according to you.

Anyway, this discussion is futile, of course I am (& everyone else is) wrong, this is the world according to JTL isn't it?
Old May 13th 2005, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
If people are so aware of it, why is that kids (& dogs) still get left in cars? Maybe aussies are more stupid than poms, I dont know. But if it saves a childs life, IMO it's a good thing.

Using your argument, we shouldnt have laws against drink driving either, if someone gets killed or injured in an accident involving alcohol they should simply be charged with manslaughter or something. But having specific laws saying you shouldnt drink & drive makes for a nanny state according to you.

Anyway, this discussion is futile, of course I am (& everyone else is) wrong, this is the world according to JTL isn't it?
At what point did I say there shouldn't be laws against drink driving. There are laws for driving under the influence (of alcohol and other substances) and that is how it should be.

"If it saves a childs life then its a good thing". Hmmmm. So close all McDonalds, Red Roosters, Hungry Jacks, Burger Kings, arrest anyone seen smoking near a child. Ban kids from walking along busy roads due to car fumes. Ban all cars from residential streets, put barriers up around all lakes ponds, rivers. Do you not get the point?

There is "safety" and then there is the nanny state. Why not just wrap 'em up in cotton wool till they're eighteen and be done with it.

How come we all reached this age without all these stupid laws? Or are we the fittest (as in 'survival of the fittest').

I always follow the law, except when its quite plainly wrong. I'd love to see them try to prosecute me for having my dog in the car for 15 minutes today, when it was pishing rain, and freezing cold. As I keep saying, its a stupid nanny state law.

Oh and its a shame you hijacked this thread, I was quite enjoying the mad rules people were coming up with.

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 12:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I
Its against school rules to go outside without your hat on in terms 4 and one
What, even the parents :scared:

Originally Posted by Jad n Rich
Adults and children must always wear a bike helmet or you guessed it its a FINE.
What, all the time, even if you're not on a bike :scared:

Blimey, it is a nanny state, cancel the visa
Old May 13th 2005, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Show me the specific law and I will believe you. The only one I have seen is “endangering the health of children under 12 by exposure”, which I reckon is a general law (in the same vein as the UK law).

Regards
Alistair
So you are now doubting its illegal to leave kids alone in a car in Australia?

Excellent.

YOU show me the law, its a ****** friday night, I'm not about to start googling through Australian law and precedents

JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Blimey, it is a nanny state, cancel the visa

*sssshhhh* don't say nanny state .. jtl
Old May 13th 2005, 1:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

*sssshhhh* don't say nanny state .. jtl
A change is as good as a rest so they say, and I am in desperate need of a change from sanctamonious Blair. Even if it is to smug Howard

I had to return trolley in my local (UK) supermarket. It was April (not hot ) left the door of car open a gnat's with three year old strapped in. Walked 20 yards with trolley, met a friend, said hi, she said "why is that man taking your daughter out of the car? :scared: Me screaming banshee rescues daughter, gets told by officious man that I have put my child at risk leaving it alone in a locked car - arsehole
Old May 13th 2005, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I had to return trolley in my local (UK) supermarket.
Don't worry, you don't have to do that here, just push it into the nearest empty parking space

JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 1:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Don't worry, you don't have to do that here, just push it into the nearest empty parking space

JTL
Or someone else's car Not all bad then
Old May 13th 2005, 1:12 pm

So you are now doubting its illegal to leave kids alone in a car in Australia?

Excellent.

YOU show me the law, its a ****** friday night, I'm not about to start googling through Australian law and precedents

JTL
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion! But to clarify: I don't believe there is a SPECIFIC law (in the terms of your previous posts) that makes it illegal to leave kids alone in a car in Australia? I believe people are prosecuted under a more general law (in a similar way to the UK), for example, “endangering the health of children under 12 by exposure”.

At the beginning of all this I was just pointing out why leaving kids in a car is dangerous, and that, some people are stupid enough to do it. I can now see that it was unreasonable for me to post this

Regards
Alistair
Old May 13th 2005, 1:22 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

At what point did I say there shouldn't be laws against drink driving. There are laws for driving under the influence (of alcohol and other substances) and that is how it should be.
So why shouldnt there be laws against leaving a child in a car (if there actually is one)? Because there are times that you can do it & nothing bad happens? By your reasoning, if someone drives home blind drunk then that should be ok, as long as nothing bad happens? And people should be able to drive as fast as they like through suburban streets, as long as nothing bad happens? Your logic & reasoning is flawed. Like I said, whether its a specific law or not, it shouldnt matter. It's there to protect children, just as drink driving laws are there to protect innocent people also driving on the road. You cant even argue that something like that was put in place to revenue raise or somehow points score - its there simply to stop children from being hurt or killed.

Oh and its a shame you hijacked this thread, I was quite enjoying the mad rules people were coming up with.

Cheers,
JTL

LOL, of course I hijacked this thread, this is the world according to JTL .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.