Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obscure Rules in Oz

Obscure Rules in Oz

Old May 13th 2005, 10:36 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Obscure Rules in Oz

Bondi Beach has no ball games, no alchohol, no smoking, no kite surfing, no dog walking yet they allow speedos!

BTW no leaving kids in cars is an essential law here. I think Mrs DB has outlined the reasons well enough.
Old May 13th 2005, 10:39 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Are you trying to pick a fight again Mrs D? I thought you'd be happier today now you've had another bucketload of rain.

I don't think there needs to be a specific law against leaving a dog in the car, but people should be made aware they could be prosecuted if the animal was caused unnecessary suffering by doing so. i.e. if they are dumb enough to leave a dog in the car in direct sunlight, they will get prosecuted. But on an overcast day, in an underground car park, where the ambient temperature is 19 degrees, its daft to have a law saying I can't go into Coles for 15 minutes and leave the dog in the car. He loves it in the car.

Actually I suppose I'm breaking 2 laws, cos I leave the windows open a bit for him to get fresh air as well. Ooooops

Laws need to be proportional to their impact on the whole society. Banning Pokies cos a few people get addicted to them isn't right. Banning alcohol cos a few people drink drive isn't right. Banning people from leaving kids in their cars at all, ever, just cos one or two muppets messed up isn't right.

Cheers,
JTL
Well there are only a certain number of people killed by drink drivers every year in Australia as well, why dont we just let people decide for themselves whether to drink & drive or not without it actually being illegal?

How do you prosecute someone for something if its not illegal to do it?
Old May 13th 2005, 10:41 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Are you trying to pick a fight again Mrs D? I thought you'd be happier today now you've had another bucketload of rain.

I don't think there needs to be a specific law against leaving a dog in the car, but people should be made aware they could be prosecuted if the animal was caused unnecessary suffering by doing so. i.e. if they are dumb enough to leave a dog in the car in direct sunlight, they will get prosecuted. But on an overcast day, in an underground car park, where the ambient temperature is 19 degrees, its daft to have a law saying I can't go into Coles for 15 minutes and leave the dog in the car. He loves it in the car.

Actually I suppose I'm breaking 2 laws, cos I leave the windows open a bit for him to get fresh air as well. Ooooops

Laws need to be proportional to their impact on the whole society. Banning Pokies cos a few people get addicted to them isn't right. Banning alcohol cos a few people drink drive isn't right. Banning people from leaving kids in their cars at all, ever, just cos one or two muppets messed up isn't right.

Cheers,
JTL

You wanna watch that mate, if he barks it'll be double jeapordy, if he barks AND does a poo in the car and you dont pick it up thats three-strikes and you'll be doing time.......
Old May 13th 2005, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Well there are only a certain number of people killed by drink drivers every year in Australia as well, why dont we just let people decide for themselves whether to drink & drive or not without it actually being illegal?

How do you prosecute someone for something if its not illegal to do it?

It is already illegal without having to produce a new specific law to make it even more illegal. Like I said, you don't need a specific law to say leaving a dog in the car in direct sunlight is illegal... causing a dog unnecessary suffering is already illegal. Killing kids by leaving them in a locked, closed car in sunlight would probably come under negligent manslaughter.

Why must we have the nanny state saying exactly everything that is legal and illegal. Are adults getting so stupid they can't decipher right from wrong unless its stamped with the big word ILLEGAL on it?

Can you imagine how daft this is going to get if they start getting specific on everything that is legal and illegal. Maybe its the lawyers all earning themselves more money by trying to spot loopholes in general laws, so the government have to keep making more and more specific laws.

JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 10:55 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

It is already illegal without having to produce a new specific law to make it even more illegal. Like I said, you don't need a specific law to say leaving a dog in the car in direct sunlight is illegal... causing a dog unnecessary suffering is already illegal. Killing kids by leaving them in a locked, closed car in sunlight would probably come under negligent manslaughter.

Why must we have the nanny state saying exactly everything that is legal and illegal. Are adults getting so stupid they can't decipher right from wrong unless its stamped with the big word ILLEGAL on it?

Can you imagine how daft this is going to get if they start getting specific on everything that is legal and illegal. Maybe its the lawyers all earning themselves more money by trying to spot loopholes in general laws, so the government have to keep making more and more specific laws.

JTL
I think you've lost the plot on this one mate .
Old May 13th 2005, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Surely there's a difference between laws protecting kids, pets etc. and laws stopping you tiling your own bathroom or wiring a plug?

Is it more of a union thing, protecting the interests of tilers or sparkies everywhere?
Old May 13th 2005, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I think you've lost the plot on this one mate .
Old May 13th 2005, 11:02 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

JTL
Does anyone know if there is a specific law (in JTL’s words) relating to kids in cars? In the link given by Simone it says:

In the Brisbane District Court today she pleaded guilty to one count of endangering the health of children under 12 by exposure
It appears she was being prosecuted under a general law to protect children. If there was a specific law then surely she would have been prosecuted under that one!

Regards
Alistair
PS: Go MrsD...I think he's wounded...he's starting to thrash around...
Old May 13th 2005, 11:03 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by cadman
Surely there's a difference between laws protecting kids, pets etc. and laws stopping you tiling your own bathroom or wiring a plug?
Apparently not according to JTL .

BTW, there is no law stopping you from tiling your own bathroom, there are however laws stopping you from doing major renovations (I believe its anything over about $7000) without an owner builders course & licence however.

Last edited by MrsDagboy; May 13th 2005 at 11:10 am. Reason: add licence
Old May 13th 2005, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

I read somewhere, I thought it was on ourbrisbane.com but I cant find it again, that you cant use power tools on the weekend or public holidays due to the noise polution effect.

I also read somewhere that if you own a cat it has to be kept indoors because its a danger to the natural wildlife!!
Old May 13th 2005, 11:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
PS: Go MrsD...I think he's wounded...he's starting to thrash around...
Bored more like

Apparently I can't say anymore on this topic cos

a) I've lost the plot (an excuse she's lost the argument if ever I heard one)

and

b) I'm thrashing around. (by answering Mrs D, yes, that is a pointless exercise)

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 11:16 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally Posted by manxfamily
I read somewhere, I thought it was on ourbrisbane.com but I cant find it again, that you cant use power tools on the weekend or public holidays due to the noise polution effect.

I also read somewhere that if you own a cat it has to be kept indoors because its a danger to the natural wildlife!!
Ummmmm, I believe there are noise pollution laws that stop you from using noisy powertools before & after certain times of the day (7am & 6pm or something like that?). On weekends & public holidays the starting time is later, but I dont think its not allowed at all. How else would all those owner builders do their work if they had a full time job?

Not sure about the cat laws either, although I do know that some councils have cat curfews where the cats are supposed to be indoors after dark I think.
Old May 13th 2005, 11:17 am

Bored more like

and

b) I'm thrashing around. (by answering Mrs D, yes, that is a pointless exercise)

Cheers,
JTL
QED
Old May 13th 2005, 11:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Not lost anything except the will to argue with someone whos too stubborn to admit that laws governing whether people should leave kids in cars are a good thing.

Whether its a general law or a specific law is irrelevant, if it makes people more aware & can save a childs life or from being injured its has to be a plus. Pity you dont see it as such.
Old May 13th 2005, 11:43 am

Cheers,
JTL
Pokies are generally fun - so no law banning them.
Alcohol is generally fun - so no law banning them.
Abandoning kids in a car for a long time in hot weather is not fun (and potentially deadly) – so it is quite reasonable to have a law banning it.

It the same with drunk driving; its not fun (and anyone who thinks it is, is perverse) – so it is quite reasonable to have a law banning it.

It’s a bit like comparing apples and oranges.
Regards
Alistair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.