Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Obscure Rules in Oz

Obscure Rules in Oz

Old May 13th 2005, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Obscure Rules in Oz

Have taken Larissa's idea and started a thread that might be useful to us all.

This is following on from my:

'You must park in the direction of the traffic flow or you will get a parking fine. If this saves a couple of people from the $50.00 I've just had to pay that would be great!'

Everyone else. If you know any odd/obscure Oz rules and regulations could you post them here and we can all learn something/have a laugh?!!

Mrs J
Old May 13th 2005, 2:49 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obscure Rules in Oz

Did a quick google and it came back with:

http://www.hobarttennis.com.au/TheGame/ObscureRules.asp

Not much help?

GG

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

'You must park in the direction of the traffic flow or you will get a parking fine. If this saves a couple of people from the $50.00 I've just had to pay that would be great!'

Everyone else. If you know any odd/obscure Oz rules and regulations could you post them here and we can all learn something/have a laugh?!!

Mrs J
Old May 13th 2005, 3:23 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs J
You are NOT allowed to move your vehicle away from the petrol pump until you have paid! I did this once, pulled my car forward by about 3 metres to allow one of the guys in the queue behind me to get petrol while I paid. The guy in the shop told me off and expalined that I had broken the law!

Andrew
Old May 13th 2005, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs J
Well, this struck me as a stupid way of doing things

License Plates

JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 3:31 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
You are NOT allowed to move your vehicle away from the petrol pump until you have paid! I did this once, pulled my car forward by about 3 metres to allow one of the guys in the queue behind me to get petrol while I paid. The guy in the shop told me off and expalined that I had broken the law!

Andrew
I don't think this applys in VIC, they have parking bays at busy servos and most people drive to them then get out and pay Hmmm??

Its against school rules to go outside without your hat on in terms 4 and one
Old May 13th 2005, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

PMSL! I just had a look at the British homeoffice travel advice site to see if they noted any differences in laws and came across this sentence...
"Australia has a well-rooted tradition of tolerance towards homosexuality".

(For anyone who doesn't know "Rooted" means something very different in Australia)
Old May 13th 2005, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs J
You can't just get a builder in to knock up an extension or granny flat. You've got to get a designer in, to 'design' the extension which will cost a couple of thousand $'s, then get a soil test guy in which will cost a couple of thousand $'s. Then present your plans to Council (its called 'Council' here not 'The Council'), who will reject it and you have to go back to the designer again.

After about 8 months and few more thousand $ it gets accepted, and its about time to call a builder, who will tell you he is fully booked for the next 4 months.

Maybe thats just Redlandshire council.

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 4:17 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
You can't just get a builder in to knock up an extension or granny flat. You've got to get a designer in, to 'design' the extension which will cost a couple of thousand $'s, then get a soil test guy in which will cost a couple of thousand $'s. Then present your plans to Council (its called 'Council' here not 'The Council'), who will reject it and you have to go back to the designer again.

After about 8 months and few more thousand $ it gets accepted, and its about time to call a builder, who will tell you he is fully booked for the next 4 months.

Cheers,
JTL
To bypass all that a donation to the local councillor will work wonders.
Old May 13th 2005, 4:27 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

Cheers,
JTL
JTL
Me too!
I am well down that route! Had to have a Contour test too as the land is not level! Mind you, Council took a week and builder started immediately. As soon as it stops raining, he can continue!
PS, for the thread,: By law you have to leave access to a toilet for the builders otherwise they bring a portaloo and charge you for that! No doubt another few grand!

Andrew
Old May 13th 2005, 4:36 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs J
other thing with parking is that in some places you have to reverse into spaces and can be fined if you drive straight into the space...nightmare for me as I can't reverse to save my life...thats in Cleveland...and I know I have opened myself up here for jokes about women reversing!!

Spalens wife
Old May 13th 2005, 5:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=alcohol

the liquor act for Qld ( I think NSW has the same), no drinking in any public places unless a designated wet area ( which I haven't noticed any of these "wet places" signs about), so cracking open a tinnie, or bottle of wine at a picnic on a hot summers day at the beach etc is a no no

not that many people take notice of this law, I didn't even know it existed until recently and I've been here for years.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:24 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You're not allowed to leave kids in a car unattended. You can go to jail for that.
Old May 13th 2005, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
You're not allowed to leave kids in a car unattended. You can go to jail for that.
Or dogs

JTL
Old May 13th 2005, 5:30 am
Wahroonga Boy

Wahroonga Boy will become famous soon enough

You must carry booze in the boot of the car or your nicked. Even in a van it must be in the back
Old May 13th 2005, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Which is a right pain if you need to return your supermarket trolley, which you can be fined for not returning to the bay. (WA)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.