NZ to Sydney

Old Apr 12th 2011, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light
Default NZ to Sydney

After 3 and half years in Auckland, my OH has been offered a promotion, which means we have to go to Sydney. I am quite apprehensive about going, as going through all hassle of getting visas etc again, and resettling, after finally feeling at home in Auckland.
Does anyone have any advice etc with regards to move? Has anyone done move from NZ to Australia? How do you find it? How is cost of living compared to NZ? Any advice and words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: NZ to Sydney

Originally Posted by NZBee
After 3 and half years in Auckland, my OH has been offered a promotion, which means we have to go to Sydney. I am quite apprehensive about going, as going through all hassle of getting visas etc again, and resettling, after finally feeling at home in Auckland.
Does anyone have any advice etc with regards to move? Has anyone done move from NZ to Australia? How do you find it? How is cost of living compared to NZ? Any advice and words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!
I am afraid that the the cost of living is higher in Oz. The average salaries in NZ are 30% lower than in Oz and so I hope you managed to get compensation for this difference. One way to offset this would be to apply for a "living away from home allowance" which is a tax break which may be available to you. I am sure there is a lot of details about LAFHA if you searchthis site.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 6:11 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: NZ to Sydney

There are loads of us here who used to live in NZ, I'm sure you'll get lots of replies. We moved from NZ to Aus via 8 years in the UK.

Cost of living is pretty subjective as it depends what you buy. My parents in law from NZ say that supermarket shopping is about half the price in Aus that it is in NZ but they live in rural NZ where shops tend to be more expensive.

One thing that seems to be much cheaper here is utility bills. Also petrol is a lot cheaper here.

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Apr 12th 2011 at 6:15 am.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 10:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to go. It might mean saying no to the promotion, but that's still a choice open to you.

So what is the deal going to be on visas?

- If you are New Zealand permanent residents can you get Indefinite returning resident visas to let you back to NZ if things don't work out in Australia?

- Are you happy to abandon your prospects of New Zealand citizenship?

- If the move is intended to be permanent, will the company sponsor you for a permanent visa to Australia? And if so, when?

- Are you fully aware of the consequences (advantages and disadvantages) of living in Australia as a temporary resident as opposed to being permanent.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

EinsteinJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There,

I just moved from Auckland to Mentone (Melbourne) ...cost of living, probably higher than New Zealand. Maybe the wages/salary a little bit higher.

One wisdom i got is to bring whatever you have in New Zealand to Australia as the shipping cost probably not really expensive, just across the ditch.

I am little bit regret to throw simple stuff in NZ (kitchenette, cutlerly, etc)......because i have to buy a new one again, (for the same price in New Zealand i got lower quality in here...) maybe you cannot bring your matress and bed, but all the linen and other bed stuff you should bring here.

For start up, i rent a car from rent-a-bomb, not fancy car, but just start and drive..of course they are cheaper than the big name rental car.

By the way, if you got a friend in foreign country, and they help you....you are really lucky because probably you can save significant money.

The other think, make sure you find an accommodation that you really like and within your possible travel distance to/from work. I was shocked about leasing coz in here the minimum term is 12 months, which was not common in Auckland ( New Zealand). Again i was lucky to get a rental unit in a good suburb in Melbourne

I hope this help Enjoy your moving .
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:12 pm
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

We moved from Auckland to the Gold Coast about 2.5 years ago and haven't had any regrets. We lived in NZ for 4 years. We have IRRV visas for NZ and applied for 175 permanent residents visas for Aus because we met the points system and wanted the security of being permanent residents of Aus. We have no intention of returning to NZ, except as tourists.

Both husband and I work full time and we are both paid much more in Aus so have more disposable income. Our rent is cheaper in Aus than in Auckland but depends where you go. Petrol is cheaper but cars are dearer. Our food bills are about equal to what we paid in NZ ($ for $) and household bills slightly cheaper. In the two years we have been here, we both drive new vehicles and enjoy a relatively relaxed lifestyle money wise. We struggled in NZ financially and in Aus we have been able to start replacing a lot of our old furniture etc.

We love the weather, the flaura and fauna, all in all its been such a positive move for us - we love it and settled much, much quicker. It feels like we have lived in Aus much longer than NZ and feel like we are here to stay.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Kate D will become famous soon enough

I'm doing it too! From Wellington to Sydney, in about three weeks, so you are definitely not alone.

In our case, it's better career propsects for OH. He's Aus, I'm British, but it does mean us giving up our jobs and starting again initially. Under no illusions about rental/property as a major outgoing and way more than here, but should be at least partially offset by other plus points.

Kate
Old Apr 13th 2011, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks so much for taking time to write responses. Much appreciated!
Glad to hear it has been a good move for most of you.....I am sure it will be great for us too, its just exhausting to think I have to do it all again after now feeling like an Aucklander (but exciting too!).
Luckily we both have IRRV, so coming back to NZ is not a problem. If my OH work is sponsoring him, what is the best visa to get? I am sure I will also be able to get a work transfer to Sydney (havent broached this yet until we know what deal is on the table), so am I best doing my visa through work, or can we can a couples visa through my OH?
I had a look into visas for Oz, and it doesnt seem as straight forward as NZ.

Yep, I am not 100% happy about having to forfeit my chance of NZ citizenship in 2012, but I think we have to seize the opportunity while we can.....my OH is in hot demand, and I would hate him to have regrets at not taking the opportunity while he can, as ultimately it will benefit our future.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

If my OH work is sponsoring him, what is the best visa to get?
A permanent one. Such as ENS.

BB
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
A permanent one. Such as ENS.

BB
Ok, thank you. I will look into that.
Would it cover both of us?
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Just looked into the visa...I think it is exactly the one we need.
I have forwarded details to OH to pass on to employers. Thank you so so much!

Do you know how long this visa can take to process if OH company does this? I think they are keen on us being in Australia in the next couple of months!
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:22 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Ok, thank you. I will look into that.
Would it cover both of us?
Yes, assuming you can prove your relationship as married / de facto.

Sorry I don't know about the timelines for this visa - do a search on the immigration forum maybe.

BB