Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ Driving Licence

NZ Driving Licence

Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Copperben is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NZ Driving Licence

Going to get my NZ driving licence tommorrow - is the theory test hard???

What sort of questions do they ask - I hear it is mulitple choice - is that correct??

I know the rule about giving way to traffic turning right if you are turning left are there any other odd rules I should know about?

It would be great me failing the NZ test when I passed first time back home
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:23 am
Just Joined

miss brodie is an unknown quantity at this point

You need a copy of the road code. All of the questions are contained in there.

Odd questions? - yes. The Give Way rules (always to your right - all right turning vehicles coming from your right). You should have a tow rope that allows the towed vehicle to be no more than 4 metres behind you.If towing a motorbike, you can't go over 30 km/hr. A blue cats eye means there is a fire hydrant.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: NZ Driving Licence

Originally posted by Copperben
Going to get my NZ driving licence tommorrow - is the theory test hard???

What sort of questions do they ask - I hear it is mulitple choice - is that correct??

I know the rule about giving way to traffic turning right if you are turning left are there any other odd rules I should know about?

It would be great me failing the NZ test when I passed first time back home
Its a multiple choice test, you have to get 32/35 to pass!
They ask all kinds of general questions, and a few specific ones, which might not be genral knowledge. There is a book available (I think from the AA), that actually provides all the possible questions. So if you have the book, go through the questions its a breeze.

THey asked a few odd questions like how deep tread should be (1.5mm) and what colour flag should be displayed when towing a trailer (red). Other questions were general, like when to give way, what road signs mean etc.

If you have time, getting a look at the questions beforehand is worthwhile. (nice way to spend a Friday night I know)

Ring up the AA and enquire, I dont know the official name of the book, but it is some sort of official publication. I dont know if I would have passed without it, but maybe Im just thick!!

Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Newkiwi

God Im worried now!!! Think I will be having fun at the library tonight no drinking for me!!

Didn't realise you had to do so well! scary thing is I didn't know any of the answers to the questions you provided thanks for that will print them out - just in case.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree - the Road Code is a "Must have"! Most of the questions are common sense, but some you have to learn....

There's a short eye test too.

(We took ours a couple of weeks ago)

Good luck!!
Nicola.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

I better make sure I have my contact lenses in then!!!!

Found the book its at my local library - better get reading.

Ps any idea on how much it costs?
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

$84. So you want to make sure you don't fail!!

Oh, and they take your photo for the licence too.

Nicola.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Ps any idea on how much it costs? [/QUOTE]

Certainly less than taking the test again

I think it was around $20 to $25, not sure. (The good wife picked it up for us)
Old Sep 26th 2003, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

You can also buy sample tests from bookshops, for about $4 per test. Once you are confident of the road code just do one and see if you pass as they are the same format as the real test. Cheaper to DIY for $4 than do the real test (cost $30 ??) and fail.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

I better make sure I have my contact lenses in then!!!!

Found the book its at my local library - better get reading.

Hi, in case i misunderstood...it $80 + for the test and $20 odd for the book
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Ben.M is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent thread. Nice to see some good practical advice like this.

Ben
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:16 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
You can also buy sample tests from bookshops, for about $4 per test. Once you are confident of the road code just do one and see if you pass as they are the same format as the real test. Cheaper to DIY for $4 than do the real test (cost $30 ??) and fail.

There are only 20 tests in total so you could buy the whole lot at 4 bucks a pop if you are a tad nervous.There are only 5 test sheets for the bike test and 5 for the hgv/truck test(which i failed as i thought the hgv test would be pretty much the same,and the hgv road code book is about 150 pages..which it was'nt,at all so i ended up doing it all again at another 135$ doh doh doh. You have to declare what you want licence wise,then they tag the whole thing together,plus if your doing hgv they will only allow you 1 faliure on the car test which they make you do at the same test...it gets quite hard if you don't know every single answer.Also,there is one question in the car test that is not technically correct but the ltsa won't change it.Our insurance excess when down $500 dollars when we swapped to a kiwi licence too.
On the subject of licences,three months ago the UK and NZ police forces agreed a joint venture in collecting fines for traffic offences.If your on a UK licence as a visitor and get a fine you don't/or didnt pay they will send you the fine in the UK,which stops people dissappearing from camera fines.Vise versa for kiwis in the UK.However,the twist is the numbers stay the same. A $150 dollar fine for something here in NZ will be changed(or not) to a 150 pound fine in the UK.A 150 pound fine for a kiwi in Blighty will be changed to a $150 fine if they avaid it and run back to NZ........did that all make sense (thanks to my mate plod)