Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bugger! First NZ speeding ticket!

Bugger! First NZ speeding ticket!

Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:09 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Angry Bugger! First NZ speeding ticket!

Bugger, bugger, bugger!!!
Just came up from Christchurch today on a lovely Honda VFR 800 V-tec.
I was feeling quite smug, as I was picking the bike up for a company I work for & though what a great job, riding a great bike from Ch/ch, through the Lewis Pass, great roads, long sweeping bends, beautiful scenery. Into Murchison, stop for a bite to eat etc. Get back on, more sweeping bends, wide roads, no traffic, around another cracking apex.......bugger!

The cops have radar fitted on the dash (or somewhere near anyway) so he got me instantly, flashing lights on, turned around, so I stopped of course. My lovely day had been ruined (by me admittedly) & $170 fine.........bugger!
As anyone with a big bike will know, it's very easy done, but be warned, you get caught so easily, I was trying to be so careful too, choosing my moments etc.
Still, I fought the law & the law won.......bugger!

So can you guys do a whip round for me!!
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeowch....come on then, spill the beans, how fast were ya goin <g> it gets worse as well......when you get your NZ licence, there will very likely be demerit points on there waiting for ya.

I got done a couple of months ago by that bastard camera at Naururanga gorge near wellington. Only $80 though <phew>

russ
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:26 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Unlucky mate

They do seem to be very hot on speeding down under don't they....

I do think thier cameras are clever though, being able to get the speed of a car/bike travelling in the opposite direction and all.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:35 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Yeah, I know I got demerit points to come! Those cameras are too damn clever.

Ok I was doin' 122kmph in a 100 zone!
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:38 am
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bugger! First NZ speeding ticket!

Know just how you feel. When we first arrived, 5 months ago, Mr Brox got caught in our first 24 hours here!! $50 fine and slapped wrists no demerit points thank god. They are really keen on speeding and drink driving.

Mrs Brox
Old Sep 25th 2003, 11:46 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Sorry to hear about your run in with the lawwrr, it sounded like a perfect ride up to then. They're right buggers for it those police types. i mean one time of day if you were speeding in a quiet part of the world (well the uk anyway) and you were seen by the police going quicker than you should but nothing silly, the chances were you would get away with it.

Not these days with all this modern technology. Whether you were doing 5mph over the limit on a quiet country road, or a busy city street, there's no difference to them. it's taken all the fun out of speeding, especially on a bike....

...anyone else thinking about going off road biking instead? no so many cameras/radar to avoid, not sure how the beem'er would cope with a few dunes though, i might have a GS1550 adventure instead....

Leigh

PS, (not braggin or 'owt) but lost my licence back in 2001, 140(mph) in a 60 on a beautiful black CBR1000. Coming home from work on a quiet sunny evening, a piece of straight road (3 miles ish) no cars, no juntions, nothing but trees, bushes and .... BUGGER! THERE'S A WHITE UNMARKED VAN BEHIND THAT ONE!! I managed to get her down to 110 (officially) before they recorded my speed. I learned my lesson, 2 months of public transport. Oh yeah and i was told speeding was dangerous... so go and use public transport instead....:scared:

As anyone with a big bike will know, it's very easy done, but be warned, you get caught so easily, I was trying to be so careful too, choosing my moments etc.

Last edited by scutterUK; Sep 25th 2003 at 11:58 am.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 12:49 pm
NZ 2004 ... Inshallah

robernelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I got two when I was last there. Fortunately, the hire company paid then and I only had to pay a small admin fee. Would have cost a packet. I had no idea I was flashed. I saw no signs or any camera. Is this the case or was it me being too taken in by the surroundings?

Rob
Old Sep 25th 2003, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not got any here, touch wood. got a few in the states, they took credit cards for payment there and then. Then again even Jesus accepts credit cards in the states.
Old Sep 25th 2003, 3:17 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by garrisondamn
Bugger, bugger, bugger!!!
Just came up from Christchurch today on a lovely Honda VFR 800 V-tec.
I was feeling quite smug, as I was picking the bike up for a company I work for & though what a great job, riding a great bike from Ch/ch, through the Lewis Pass, great roads, long sweeping bends, beautiful scenery. Into Murchison, stop for a bite to eat etc. Get back on, more sweeping bends, wide roads, no traffic, around another cracking apex.......bugger!

The cops have radar fitted on the dash (or somewhere near anyway) so he got me instantly, flashing lights on, turned around, so I stopped of course. My lovely day had been ruined (by me admittedly) & $170 fine.........bugger!

I am the proud owner of one of these machines. Had a lucky escape myself the other day....

With perfect conditions, on an empty road, at about 7.30 am last Sunday I zoomed past two parked plod cars at 155mph (keep this to yourself by the way)....Oh shit. I think they were just having a skive, but I just kept on going (I did'nt want them catching my plate), and done a turn off a couple of miles up, in case they radioed ahead to one of their chums.

So far I've heard nothing, but if I do, I may well be buggering of to aw-bloody-stralia sooner than I thought. Phew! :scared:
Old Sep 25th 2003, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We got a speeding ticket and a parking ticket during our trip to Oz last year!
Parking ticket was because we parked nose in to a space instead of rear end in !! Can you believe it how anal!! We only paid them because we knew we were emigrating and didn't want them going against us
Old Sep 25th 2003, 6:14 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by tinaj
Parking ticket was because we parked nose in to a space instead of rear end in !! Can you believe it how anal!! We only paid them because we knew we were emigrating and didn't want them going against us

Not quite sure what you mean by this. Please explain.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:10 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
We were warned off when we parked on the wrong side of the street in Chch, ie we crossed the lane and parked in the parking space on the other side of the rd. Apparently a big no no.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

firing1 is an unknown quantity at this point

we bought a subaru impreza turbo a few weeks back and julie just picked up her first speeding ticket and i had my first random breath teat the other morning (no i hadn't been drinking) The kiwi's are hot on stopping you but the road death toll speaks for itself.