Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ - buying things, getting a job etc

NZ - buying things, getting a job etc

Old Dec 20th 2001, 3:26 pm
Pete Peterson

1. We're in the process of getting PR through London NZIS - anybody got recent approval times for Gen Skills?

2. What I would really appreciate is information on NZ websites with adverts re: to rent or buy a house (Auckland and North), buy a boat, a car (new and secondhand), get a job, buying a business. Would like to get an idea on prices. Have trawled a few times on the net but it seems pretty hit and miss. If you have found any great sites, please share the website address...

3. Jobs: I understand that NZ jobs pay somewhat less than in Europe. Would I be right in assuming that for a 40-ish well-qualified good CV'd guy such as myself (modest or what?!), to get a senior job (especially a 'first' job as an immigrant to NZ) in marketing paying NZD100K or more would be pretty good going? Your anecdotes and experiences welcome.

Thanks - Pete Peterson

Old Dec 20th 2001, 11:58 pm
Angela And Kevin Met

Hi!

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I see you've been given most of these already by Ashley but you could also
add www.nzoom.co.nz as a general site.Also, www.monster.co.nz and
www.seek.co.nz for jobs.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Our experience was that you could expect to take a salary and career dip when you
first arrive. Once you have established yourself you will be able to progress back up
the tree again. You will also need to be quite persistent in tracking down a job and
chasing ppl. You have to defer to local tradition and opinions and our attempts to
show ppl in NZ how we did things "back home" were met with stony silence. Thankfully,
we realised our insensitivity b4 we had got out of airport
    >

As for pay, altho it is less than in the UK, the cost of living is also less. We
found that despite the drop in salary we have more "spending money" in NZ than
in the UK.

Angela Metcalfe

Old Dec 21st 2001, 12:07 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Well for a start, log onto http://www.searchnz.co.nz
This will get you straight onto a New Zealand search engine.
From then on, everything you search for will be in New Zealand.
For Real estate try http://www.realenz.co.nz
Any more help, then yell!!!!
Old Dec 21st 2001, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

emigratenz is an unknown quantity at this point

Pete, at the risk of self-promotion , you might find the EmigrateNZ website and its links helpful for some of your queries regarding jobs, real-estate and buying a business. We don't publish many links but those we do are carefully selected.

James
http://www.emigratenz.com
Old Dec 22nd 2001, 11:31 am
Winnie

>
    >
    >

<grin> We were looking at moving to France (and still will if our PR application to
NZ is rejected). The amount of English people who move in and try to start running
the town is phenomenal. One local mayor was so cheesed off that he banned any more
english from buying property in his town (the mayor has a right of veto on all
property purchases).

>
    >
    >
    >

Thank you! I was convinced this must be the case, as average salaries are quite a bit
lower in NZ than in UK, but all the info I've found says that the cost of living is
about the same.

Getting more and more hopeful/excited by the day.... Winnie xx