Reload this Page >

UK Psychology Graduate looking to relocate to Australia

UK Psychology Graduate looking to relocate to Australia

Old Jul 7th 2016, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

Mthimkhulu2000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Psychology Graduate looking to relocate to Australia

Hi Everyone,

I have a BSc in Psychology and PGDip/MSc in Mental Health from UK institutions (the last two not BPS accredited).
I am currently trying to gather all the documents that are required by Australian Psychological Society (APS) for qualification assessment. My end goal is to apply for PR then relocate.

Is there anyone who has gone through the qualification assessment and or applying for PR? How long did the process take?

If anyone has a BSc (Hon) what was it equevalent to in Australia?

Would APS assess the other qualifications even if they are not a psychology qualification?
(I would like to avoid paying different boards to assess my qualifications.)
Old Jul 7th 2016, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Psychology Graduate looking to relocate to Australia

BSc Hons will be considered a BSc Hons but you might have to fight to get it recognised because it is a 3 year degree vs a 4 year degree in Aus. If the courses are not psychology courses then, no, APS won't assess them - they have the same criteria for accreditation as BPS I would imagine.

APS is the least of your worries, you should check out the requirements from AHPRA. If you can bear to get a psych masters or PhD (by preference) you will be much more likely to succeed and if you are chartered before you go, that will stand you in better stead for negotiating with AHPRA. Be warned that psychologists are ten a penny in Aus, it's the course of choice for many. I'm surprised that psych general is still on the list - I can imagine that clinical psych may well be.
Old Jul 8th 2016, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Psychology Graduate looking to relocate to Australia

Just goes to show the ridiculous nature of the lists. Little too do with shortages that's for sure. Psychologists are very much ten a penny. Jobs hard to fine unless can get on to the government paid gig. Can be $100 an hour but getting enough clients (they need to be referred by doctors) can be a challenge.