Reload this Page >

NSW Driving License conversion

NSW Driving License conversion

Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:05 am
Just Joined

danowen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NSW Driving License conversion

Hi,

So from reading previous post, I can't find a definite answer - so thought I would repost to see if there has been an update?

I want to utimately get my bike license to get a scooter, so can I:

1) convert my UK license to a NSW gold license
2) do my bike L plates test (i.e. turn up and show I can ride)
3) get my full bike license straight off (I am over 30) from the gold license to then be able to get a 200cc scooter and carry pillions?

Thanks in advance
danowen
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NSW Driving License conversion

Have you looked on the RTA-NSW website? If so, what precisely is unclear?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:23 am
Just Joined

what is unclear is:

a) can I convert my UK license to a gold license simply by completing the applicaiton form?
b) if I can get an immediate gold license & I pass my L-plates for a motorbike can I then get a full license without having to wait 99 years!?

Regards,
Dan
Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:11 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by danowen
Hi,

So from reading previous post, I can't find a definite answer - so thought I would repost to see if there has been an update?

I want to utimately get my bike license to get a scooter, so can I:

1) convert my UK license to a NSW gold license
2) do my bike L plates test (i.e. turn up and show I can ride)
3) get my full bike license straight off (I am over 30) from the gold license to then be able to get a 200cc scooter and carry pillions?

Thanks in advance
danowen
1) No Theory Test, or Practical Test, is required for UK Car Drivers.

A fully licensed, newly arrived migrant, can now visit the local RTA and obtain an equivalent NSW Drivers licence on production of their UK licence together with the relevant forms and payment, without taking any tests, other than an eyesight test.

2) Unless you already hold a UK motorcycle licence, you go through the normal procedure.

3) Even if you have held an Australian or New Zealand unrestricted driver licence for the last five years, you are still required to successfully complete the pre-learner and pre-provisional courses, so you can go directly from a learner rider licence to an unrestricted rider licence.

Old Mar 10th 2009, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
1) No Theory Test, or Practical Test, is required for UK Car Drivers.

A fully licensed, newly arrived migrant, can now visit the local RTA and obtain an equivalent NSW Drivers licence on production of their UK licence together with the relevant forms and payment, without taking any tests, other than an eyesight test.

2) Unless you already hold a UK motorcycle licence, you go through the normal procedure.

3) Even if you have held an Australian or New Zealand unrestricted driver licence for the last five years, you are still required to successfully complete the pre-learner and pre-provisional courses, so you can go directly from a learner rider licence to an unrestricted rider licence.

re. 1) Is that for a gold license?

2) does normal procedure mean all the waiting around? or, if I got a gold license then I could follow the Aus/NZ process?

Sorry, but I still just don't get it!
danowen
Old Mar 11th 2009, 5:27 am
Just Joined

So, from the rta website it states I can convert my UK drivers license to a NSW unrestricted license, i.e. gold

from the mature riders page it says I can go straight from L's to full license without have to go onto P's or wait the 3 months as over 30...

but the million dollar question is, that for the over 30 its states if you have "held an Australian or New Zealand unrestricted driver licence for the last five years with no cancellations, disqualifications" - does my converted one count, or do I have to wait the 5 years!?
Old Mar 12th 2009, 1:28 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by danowen
So, from the rta website it states I can convert my UK drivers license to a NSW unrestricted license, i.e. gold

from the mature riders page it says I can go straight from L's to full license without have to go onto P's or wait the 3 months as over 30...

but the million dollar question is, that for the over 30 its states if you have "held an Australian or New Zealand unrestricted driver licence for the last five years with no cancellations, disqualifications" - does my converted one count, or do I have to wait the 5 years!?
I think a phone call to the RTA may be your best bet for that, as they may go by the date that you got your Australian licence, and then add 5 years, which is what it sounds like.