Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NSW Ambulance service

NSW Ambulance service

Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:17 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Chris has hit the nail on the head, don't move to oz for a better career move, the job is the same world over, same gripes, same customers etc. It's what you want to have in your time out side of work which you should be looking at.
If after moving there the job is that bad, you only have to put up with it for two years than you can leave and work on check out at woolworths lol, but still be enjoying the life style of sunny oz.

John
(where's my job offer?)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:30 am
Just Joined

the boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi John,

Been reading your previous posts. Have you had your interview/tests in Sydney yet? You were going in January weren't you? Have you heard anything yet? How long were you there for? What was the process and feedback that you got whilst you were there?

Hope you don't mind the pile of questions.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by the boy
Hi John,

Been reading your previous posts. Have you had your interview/tests in Sydney yet? You were going in January weren't you? Have you heard anything yet? How long were you there for? What was the process and feedback that you got whilst you were there?

Hope you don't mind the pile of questions.
Hi
After the interview I had to wait while they supposedly organised my driving assessment. Anyway half an hour later they came out, I was signed of a pass for the driving and offered the position of Intensive Care Paramedic, start the induction course in October 2008.

I was there for ten days, arrived on a sunday, monday was a bank holiday, tuesday was psycometric testing, wednesday fitness, that 42cm step is a killer, and Friday was the interview/driving. Very friendly and helpful people. Now just waiting for my written job offer to arrive.

John
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

the boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi John,

Thanks for that. Did you know that you were applying to be an ICP or did you think it would be ACP with progression to ICP?? That sounds good. So, what do you have to do with that 42cm step??

You impressed with the whole NSW set-up?
Old Feb 28th 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the boy
Hi John,

Thanks for that. Did you know that you were applying to be an ICP or did you think it would be ACP with progression to ICP?? That sounds good. So, what do you have to do with that 42cm step??

You impressed with the whole NSW set-up?
Hi
I was applying for ACP and was surprised when they offered me ICP after the interview. I was expecting to progress to ICP at a later date. It's hard to comment whether NSW is impressive or not, but the fact that they are not "blanket" recruiting and choosing individuals out from written applications is positive. As for quality of vehicles, equipment, policies, manager relationships etc I have no idea, I'm going on the pretention that its just as good/bad as here.
During your medical you have to do a step test. This is not your house hold step lol. Like I said its 42cm high, and you have to step up and down 24x per minute for 3 minutes, while your heart is being monitored. Mine at rest ws HR72 and during the excersie rose 152. Being 39 & 6ft 3" and only physical activities is hiking or the occasional game of squash, the last 60 sec's was a killer on the thighs.

John
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

moth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Im an ECP who has applied for NSW. How long does it usually take for them to decide if they want you to come over for interview and how much notice do they give? I sent off all my certificate and ID copies etc about 2 weeks ago.

Also do they offer any financial aid for getting over to Sydney? Im sorted for accommodation if I get a interview but the flights aren't exactly cheap even taking advantage of OASIS air HK return for £150.

Thanks for any answers Xx
Old Mar 6th 2008, 10:12 am
Just Joined

travelling man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moth
Hi guys,

Im an ECP who has applied for NSW. How long does it usually take for them to decide if they want you to come over for interview and how much notice do they give? I sent off all my certificate and ID copies etc about 2 weeks ago.

Also do they offer any financial aid for getting over to Sydney? Im sorted for accommodation if I get a interview but the flights aren't exactly cheap even taking advantage of OASIS air HK return for £150.

Thanks for any answers Xx
Hi there,
It took around a month or so to get my interview week organised but this was largely down to me organising all my annual leave in one go. Once i'd supplied dates, they confirmed by return. It wouldn't hurt to send an enquiry email to ask how things are going.

Costs wise there's a similar post from Smurf a few pages back. If you've got any further questions i'll do my best to confuse the hell out of you!

Hong Kong, if i've read your post correctly, for £150? Sounds like a bargain to me!

Cheers, Jon
Old Apr 18th 2008, 2:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by travelling man
Hi there,
It took around a month or so to get my interview week organised but this was largely down to me organising all my annual leave in one go. Once i'd supplied dates, they confirmed by return. It wouldn't hurt to send an enquiry email to ask how things are going.

Costs wise there's a similar post from Smurf a few pages back. If you've got any further questions i'll do my best to confuse the hell out of you!

Hong Kong, if i've read your post correctly, for £150? Sounds like a bargain to me!

Cheers, Jon
Thanks for that Jon,

Turns out OASIS air have gone bust, not surprising really offering silly fares like that

I finally got an assessment date, I'm off in June. You were right with the just give them the dates thing. I initially started by saying any time june, july or august is fine (I'm the only person in my rota, makes no difference when I'm off), didnt hear any thing. In the end I pretty much said I'm coming out for this date, is that ok? and sure enough confirmation by return.

Im off to find a large step for practice now

Xx
Old Apr 18th 2008, 7:12 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Sent all my certificates etc away a week ago in support of my application and I have received an e-mail back this morning to say that my application will be going before the RPL committee in early May. I will then be informed of their recommendations.

Is this the norm?

If it is, I suppose the next step is to get out there for interviews etc.??
Old Apr 18th 2008, 8:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by swigski
Sent all my certificates etc away a week ago in support of my application and I have received an e-mail back this morning to say that my application will be going before the RPL committee in early May. I will then be informed of their recommendations.

Is this the norm?

If it is, I suppose the next step is to get out there for interviews etc.??
Hi Swigski,

Yes thats exactly what I got as well. Took nearly a month between my application going before the committee and their reply inviting me to interview so dont panic if you dont hear anything straight away.

Xx
Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Phil_NWAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all. From what i've read here and on various Australian ambulance websites, ASNSW does seem to have the edge over QAS.
A few Q's.....

1) Can you opt for permanent residency if applying for ASNSW? as opposed to the tempory 457 visa?

2) With QAS, UK paras enter at ACP level, how true is it that with ASNSW you can enter (with further training?) at ICP level?

3) Sydney, often quoted as expensive to live, does this mirror the rest of NSW? Presumably within the state away from Sydney the cost of living is comparable to QLD?

If anyone has any info would be greatful. Have just spent a few weeks in QLD and met up with a former para colleague from UK who now lives just outside Brisbane. He was, like many, dissapointed with the pay but says the lifestyle and cost of living was much better than the UK, particulary the Northwest UK!!!

I gained quite a bit of info from him, so if anyone has any q's, hopefully I can help
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:36 pm
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

) Can you opt for permanent residency if applying for ASNSW? as opposed to the tempory 457 visa?

2) With QAS, UK paras enter at ACP level, how true is it that with ASNSW you can enter (with further training?) at ICP level?

3) Sydney, often quoted as expensive to live, does this mirror the rest of NSW? Presumably within the state away from Sydney the cost of living is comparable to QLD?

Hi Phil. I will answer as best I can based on my experience so far

1. On the application form, it asks which type of visa you wish to apply for, so I suppose the answer is Yes.

2. As a qualified UK Para, I believe you would enter at ACP level(subject to RPL) and progress to ICP within the 28 weeks mentoring

3.I think the reason it is quoted as expensive to live is the cost of housing. If you want to be close to the Center, you'll have to pay big bucks for a house. The more affordable housing is 15-25 miles around Sydney which then means spending a long time commuting with added vehicle running costs, tolls and so forth. Can't comment on how affordable it is to QLD having not been there but I did not find day to day living in Sydney when I was there OK.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied and have been granted a permanent visa, so yes you can have either. After going through RPL prior to my interview, i was assessed as being qualified for ICP level - depends really on your skills/experience.
Cost of living is relative - if you are after a 4 bedroomed place in Manly you will be paying $2 mill +!!
I have been looking at Kellyvile and the Hills area and you can get a decent family sized house for $ 500-600k (£200-300k?)

check out the thread:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519092

and

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506361

best of luck!

chris

Last edited by chris rose; Apr 19th 2008 at 2:48 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Phil_NWAS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Swigski and Chris great help.
Even with the rose tinted specs off, ASNSW looks pretty good!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:08 am
Banned

Can't comment on how affordable it is to QLD having not been there but I did not find day to day living in Sydney when I was there OK

Sorry, I meant I did find it OK.

Good Luck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.