Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:17 pm   #31
Forum Regular
 
Smurf1969's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: N'Wales
Posts: 63
Smurf1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Hi Guys

Can you tell me what the process is with NSW after receiving appt to go out there to Oz for interview and such, do they help at all with transport there, somewhere to stay, anything

Thanks for any info

Aud
Smurf1969 is offline  
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:07 pm   #32
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 17
travelling man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf1969 View Post
Hi Guys

Can you tell me what the process is with NSW after receiving appt to go out there to Oz for interview and such, do they help at all with transport there, somewhere to stay, anything

Thanks for any info

Aud
Hi Aud,

ASNSW will provide very short term accommodation on arrival before taking up your post, in addition to a $5,000 relocation allowance which has to be repaid in full if you quit within one year. Unlike QAS they don't cover the costs of your temporary or permanent visa application, so you'll have to factor this in along with the myriad of other anticipated costs.

As regards attending for interview in Sydney, they didn't offer any assistance, although to be fair i didn't actually ask! I made a three to four week holiday of the whole trip, as i'd only visited Australia once before. It would certainly be worth asking 'though.

You should be able to get a return flight to Sydney for around £700-£800 subject to your departure date and if you don't mind roughing it a bit, stay in one of the city centre YHAs for around $25-$30 per night. There's one that's actually part of the central railway station complex, so it's pretty handy for transport links!!

To get to Rozelle (ASNSW's HQ) is a short, cheap ride on the 'light rail' (tram) to Lilyfield station, which takes about 20 minutes and costs around $5 return. You'll need to make this trip at least twice, once for the psychometric tests and once for the interview. I didn't have to take undergo a driving assessment but if required, this may necessitate another trip.

The only other trip you'll need to make is for the medical which is out of town. You'll need to get the train from central station to Parramatta, which takes about 30 minutes. From there you'll need to take a local bus or taxi to the medical centre.

All of this is very easy and nothing to be concerned about. A hire car would only be beneficial if you're planning to explore the wider area such as the nearby national parks, in detail. Otherwise a large part of the surrounding area, including the northern beaches and the blue mountains are accessible by rail. Two hours to Katoomba in the blue mountains cost $12!!

Hope this helps. If you want any more information, just pm me.

Cheers, Jon.
travelling man is offline  
Old Feb 9th 2008, 9:27 pm   #33
Forum Regular
 
Smurf1969's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: N'Wales
Posts: 63
Smurf1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Hi Jon,

Thanks ever so much for the info it's a great help, and thanks for the PM offer i'll do that.
Smurf1969 is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:39 pm   #34
Forum Regular
 
Smurf1969's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: N'Wales
Posts: 63
Smurf1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookkat View Post
am i the only uk paramedic going to western australia???starting to feel very left out!!!!
hope i've not made the wrong choice........
Hi brookkat

Just PM'd you hope you don't mind
Smurf1969 is offline  
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:56 pm   #35
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 564
swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Does anyone have any idea on the cost of applying for a permanent visa and temporary visa?
If you have been given a job offer and are taking your family (wife and 2 kids) will you have to apply seperately or as a family?
swigski is offline  
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 1:51 pm   #36
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 17
travelling man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by swigski View Post
Does anyone have any idea on the cost of applying for a permanent visa and temporary visa?
If you have been given a job offer and are taking your family (wife and 2 kids) will you have to apply seperately or as a family?
Hi Swigski,
From memory all of the fees are listed on DIAC's website. As far as i understand it, only the sponsored applicant applies for a visa, with family entering on the same visa. You'll need medicals for all family members but chest x-rays are only required with children age 11 and over. That's off the top my head but i think it's right.

Cheers, Jon
travelling man is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:44 am   #37
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
the boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Hi Jon,

I was wondering if I could pick your brains as far as NSW is concerned:

Are NSW using thrombolysis?

Do NSW assist with travel costs for interviews etc in Sydney, from the UK?

Am currently a Clinical Team Leader Paramedic in the UK and have been in discussion with QAS and don't know a huge amount about NSW.

Would appreciate as much info as you can give.

Thanks in advance
the boy is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:32 am   #38
Forum Regular
 
chris rose's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Medowie, Port Stephens, NSW
Posts: 39
chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by the boy View Post
Hi Jon,

I was wondering if I could pick your brains as far as NSW is concerned:

Are NSW using thrombolysis?

Do NSW assist with travel costs for interviews etc in Sydney, from the UK?

Am currently a Clinical Team Leader Paramedic in the UK and have been in discussion with QAS and don't know a huge amount about NSW.

Would appreciate as much info as you can give.

Thanks in advance
Hi,
Recently received my job offer from NSW and will be starting in July.
As far as i am aware, they are not currently thrombolysing patients yet, as they are in the process of rolling out 12 lead ECG training at the moment. (Zoll M series).
Sadly, they do not assist with travel costs for interview - i guess they view it that if you are interested, you will make the effort to go and see them! Treat as a holiday - if nothing else, you have had a once in a lifetime trip. I debated as to whether to go and have a look - glad i did as you see so much and answer so many questions that you just would not get answered otherwise.
They will however reimburse visa and medical costs if you apply for the visa. ( visa about £700 and medicals for 2 x adult and 2 x kids £700). They will also pay for car hire and accom for up to 2 weeks when you arrive.

hope this helps and get in touch if you need any more info.
cheers
chris
chris rose is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:11 pm   #39
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 17
travelling man is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by the boy View Post
Hi Jon,

I was wondering if I could pick your brains as far as NSW is concerned:

Are NSW using thrombolysis?

Do NSW assist with travel costs for interviews etc in Sydney, from the UK?

Am currently a Clinical Team Leader Paramedic in the UK and have been in discussion with QAS and don't know a huge amount about NSW.

Would appreciate as much info as you can give.

Thanks in advance
Hi there,
I've sent you a pm. You'll need to do one more post before you can read it.

Cheers, Jon
travelling man is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:34 pm   #40
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 564
swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris rose View Post
Hi,
Recently received my job offer from NSW and will be starting in July.
As far as i am aware, they are not currently thrombolysing patients yet, as they are in the process of rolling out 12 lead ECG training at the moment. (Zoll M series).
Sadly, they do not assist with travel costs for interview - i guess they view it that if you are interested, you will make the effort to go and see them! Treat as a holiday - if nothing else, you have had a once in a lifetime trip. I debated as to whether to go and have a look - glad i did as you see so much and answer so many questions that you just would not get answered otherwise.
They will however reimburse visa and medical costs if you apply for the visa. ( visa about £700 and medicals for 2 x adult and 2 x kids £700). They will also pay for car hire and accom for up to 2 weeks when you arrive.

hope this helps and get in touch if you need any more info.
cheers
chris

Hi Chris,
Have you received a job contract yet stating where you will be based and your salary??
What visa did you apply for? The temp or permanent?
swigski is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:52 pm   #41
Forum Regular
 
chris rose's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Medowie, Port Stephens, NSW
Posts: 39
chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by swigski View Post
Hi Chris,
Have you received a job contract yet stating where you will be based and your salary??
What visa did you apply for? The temp or permanent?
Hi Swigski,

Yes, I have had a contract stating salary ( have'nt got it with me at the moment as i am at work). However, i don't think it is really that acurate, as your final fortnightly salary is apparently made up of a lot penalties, etc. Hayes ( who is working there at the moment) states her takes home $4400 a month with minimal overtime. ( spoilt meals, late offs, etc)

They will not tell you your location until the visa has been granted. I guess, they then have a clearer pic of when you will be starting on the road. (bearing in mind you will be training for 20 odd weeks). However, during interview, they ask for preferences within Sydney Division and i stated north shore.
I have applied for Permanent residency as it seems to make sense as we really want to make a go of it!!!!

If you need any more help, please get in touch.

Chris
chris rose is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:48 pm   #42
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
the boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Haddock View Post
Hi there,
I've sent you a pm. You'll need to do one more post before you can read it.

Cheers, Jon
Thanks for that Jon, I should be able to grab that today.
the boy is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:50 pm   #43
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
the boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris rose View Post
Hi Swigski,

Yes, I have had a contract stating salary ( have'nt got it with me at the moment as i am at work). However, i don't think it is really that acurate, as your final fortnightly salary is apparently made up of a lot penalties, etc. Hayes ( who is working there at the moment) states her takes home $4400 a month with minimal overtime. ( spoilt meals, late offs, etc)

They will not tell you your location until the visa has been granted. I guess, they then have a clearer pic of when you will be starting on the road. (bearing in mind you will be training for 20 odd weeks). However, during interview, they ask for preferences within Sydney Division and i stated north shore.
I have applied for Permanent residency as it seems to make sense as we really want to make a go of it!!!!

If you need any more help, please get in touch.

Chris
Hi Chris,

So are you just aware at the moment that it will be Sydney Division but you won't know exactly where?

Salary seems reasonable although prices of houses for that area are getting higher and higher. Have you looked much at the housing price options?
the boy is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 5:54 pm   #44
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 10
the boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris rose View Post
Hi,
Recently received my job offer from NSW and will be starting in July.
As far as i am aware, they are not currently thrombolysing patients yet, as they are in the process of rolling out 12 lead ECG training at the moment. (Zoll M series).
Sadly, they do not assist with travel costs for interview - i guess they view it that if you are interested, you will make the effort to go and see them! Treat as a holiday - if nothing else, you have had a once in a lifetime trip. I debated as to whether to go and have a look - glad i did as you see so much and answer so many questions that you just would not get answered otherwise.
They will however reimburse visa and medical costs if you apply for the visa. ( visa about £700 and medicals for 2 x adult and 2 x kids £700). They will also pay for car hire and accom for up to 2 weeks when you arrive.

hope this helps and get in touch if you need any more info.
cheers
chris
Thanks for the info Chris, very much appreciated.

I agree with what you said about the travel costs and showing how keen you are. Do NSW interview everyone in Sydney or do they do some in the UK in the same way as QAS?

Spent a bit of time over there so know that I will like it, but a ride out or familiarisation with the NSW would be very beneficial.

Thanks again
the boy is offline  
Old Feb 25th 2008, 7:37 pm   #45
Forum Regular
 
chris rose's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Medowie, Port Stephens, NSW
Posts: 39
chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

Quote:
Originally Posted by the boy View Post
Thanks for the info Chris, very much appreciated.

I agree with what you said about the travel costs and showing how keen you are. Do NSW interview everyone in Sydney or do they do some in the UK in the same way as QAS?

Spent a bit of time over there so know that I will like it, but a ride out or familiarisation with the NSW would be very beneficial.

Thanks again
In answer to last two posts, all i know is that my initial post will be in sydney division (metropolitan Sydney) and hopefully on the north shore somewhere. Not too keen on south as we are hoping to live North. Mentoring stations are usually in the city centre apparently. (during training/conversion).

With regards to interviews, yes they do all interviews in Sydney. They talked about video interviews, but that does'nt seem to have come to anything. Unlike QLD, i get the impression NSW are not too keen on recruiting wholesale from the UK and thus they cannot justify travelling to the UK, to interview only a few.
I, and others did ask for a ride along, but they trotted out the "cannot for insurance puposes" line! We did visit Point Claire Station near to Gosford ( 1-2 hours north) and spoke to the crews. They seem a friendly bunch - usual moans and groans - usual ambo staff really!

Overall, NSW seem to have similar problems to any other service in the modern world: - response time pressures, bed shortages, staff shortages, etc. However, i felt that they seem to be going in the right direction and by not adopting the mass recruitment policy, i feel that i have been treated a lot more as an individual than it seems some in QLD have.
I agree house prices are on the up, ( some say one of the most expensive places in the world to live!! ), but it is a lovely area and not too hot!
Besides, i am so far into this application, i don't think i could bear starting all over again!!!

In essence, i believe, to a greater or lesser extent, the will be much the same as the UK - however, i feel it is what you do out of work that will make the difference.

chris
PS: PM me your e-mail address and i will forward you some more info if interested.
chris rose is offline  
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:11 pm.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 1999-2010 BritishExpats.com