Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia

Closed Thread

Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:02 am   #16
Just Joined

brookkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NSW Ambulance service

don't suppose you know if they're starting in jan?
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:43 am   #17
sals 
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookkat View Post
don't suppose you know if they're starting in jan?
Not sure But think it's pretty soon. I'll ask around over the weekend when I'm back in work and will let you know if I find anything out.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 9:57 am   #18
Just Joined

brookkat is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers, like i said starting to feel very alone-well am going to 'the most isolated city in the world' so better get used to it eh???!!!!
Old Nov 15th 2007, 9:27 am   #19
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Hello all!

Thought you might find this interesting....I am a nurse on the Central Coast NSW, recently lots of probs with emergency numbers ie: not working. I think it was 9 times in last few months so you couldn't get an ambo if you wanted one! Also, what are your response times where you are now? For where I live 20 mins from main regional hospital it's 45 mins!!! I've just done a baby swim plus first aid course where they advised me to drive to the hospital instead of waiting for an ambo!!! Hope you bring more of you and maybe some vehicles too, seems to be a shortage here! I find it slightly worrying as what if you're on your own plus you should see my driving!

Food for thought only, good luck with it all, Aus is beautiful,

Jo x
Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:40 pm   #20
Just Joined

travelling man is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
If there's any potential or current ASNSW applicants still out there, does anybody have any detail on the following:
What's the service like to work for and what are the main positives/negatives regarding the job?
What are your chances of transferring out of Sydney once the progression to ICP is complete?
If so is working in rural/coastal NSW actually worth contemplating or is it hillbilly central/snoozeville?
Has anyone completed the ICP process or currently going through it?
If so, how tough?

I heard a couple of days ago from an LAS (soon to be QAS) mate who said morale in ASNSW was pretty low. I was a little concerned to read a post from Chris Rose who said he'd received a verbal offer in September 2007 (i think) and was still waiting for a formal Letter of Offer in January 2008.
I'm in the same situation after attending an interview in Sydney in November 2007, although there was a delay regarding my references.

As the next QAS induction is looming (18/02/08), i've got to make a decision pretty fast. I was offered a job by QAS way back in November 2006 but for various reasons got delayed in the UK. It gave me time to reflect on their view of UK Paras. and the demotion to ACP status as offered. My discontent with the ACP level of practice led me to apply to ASNSW.

After having gone out there last year and seen both Queensland and NSW, my gut feeling was QAS for lifestyle and ASNSW (read Sydney) for the job.
QAS seem to be changing but not really fast enough for my liking and they don't seem to be too fussed if you progress to ICP or not. It's bums on seats that matter! How else would all those QAS student 'paramedics' run vehicles?!

It would be nice to hear from, someone! Otherwise i'll try the QAS thread.

Cheers, Jon
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:09 am   #21
Forum Regular

chris rose is an unknown quantity at this point

hi jon,

sent you a private message.

chris
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:48 am   #22
John_R Male
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

I think to head out to oz in hoping the job is going to be different/better is a wrong presumption or hope to have.
I'm under no impression that the job is going to be any better, as a matter of fact the job will be the same, low moral, long hours, silly bosses, etc etc but its the way of life out side of work as to why I want to emigrate. I have been a paramedic in Germany and the UK for a total 16 yrs, apart from the language, its the same.
As for being de-skilled, so I wont be able to intubate those 6 or so patients I do per year at the moment, but again, the opportunity is there for me to progress to ICP if that's a priority for me.
Emigrate to a part of the country that attracts you to your life style, interests and family needs. Oz ambulance service seems to be in a crisis all over the country, just like we have been over the past ten years, and its only now that we have some light at the end of the tunnel.

Enough of my rant lol

Good luck

John
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:52 pm   #23
Just Joined

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_R View Post
I think to head out to oz in hoping the job is going to be different/better is a wrong presumption or hope to have.
I'm under no impression that the job is going to be any better, as a matter of fact the job will be the same, low moral, long hours, silly bosses, etc etc but its the way of life out side of work as to why I want to emigrate. I have been a paramedic in Germany and the UK for a total 16 yrs, apart from the language, its the same.
As for being de-skilled, so I wont be able to intubate those 6 or so patients I do per year at the moment, but again, the opportunity is there for me to progress to ICP if that's a priority for me.
Emigrate to a part of the country that attracts you to your life style, interests and family needs. Oz ambulance service seems to be in a crisis all over the country, just like we have been over the past ten years, and its only now that we have some light at the end of the tunnel.

Enough of my rant lol

Good luck

John
Hi John,
Good to hear your perspective. Yes, lifestyle is very important and that's where QAS really scores but for me at least, so is the job, which is why i'm struggling a little with my decision.
It's not really about how well or badly the service is run. Believe me my UK NHS trust leaves a lot to be desired!
For me the satisfaction of the job comes with the autonomy of practice, where, as long as i don't screw up, i operate on largely on my own terms. Maybe that's just the result of working for a disorganised outfit where there's freedom as a result of chaos! Intubation has never figured particularly highly with me but some UK practice, such as thrombolysis, has true value.

I'm not sure if you're planning to apply to QAS or you've just applied to ASNSW but one of QAS's 'concessions' is to fast track UK Paras. on 12 lead ECG courses. This seems to be a really big deal as far as they're concerned. You wouldn't believe the hassle my mate working in South Brisbane got for doing 12 leads without authorisation, prior to this policy change. I could go on but sadly there remain many areas where QAS practice is just plain bizarre and not in line with current thinking on pre-hospital care.
Unlike ASNSW, QAS are squandering a very valuable resource by not implementing any structured progression towards ICP. The value they place on us does not relate to our extensive experience and level of practice but sadly our ability to 'qualify' their vehicles and give the abudance of students in their system somebody to work with.

There, that's my rant in return!!

Chris and temptininnit, i've received your pm's but need at least 3 posts to access them. This is the second. If i can find anything else meaningful to say, i'll be replying soon!!

All the best, Jon
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:02 am   #24
John_R Male
Forum Regular

John_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud ofJohn_R has much to be proud of

I'm also an automanous practioner and over the past 2-3 yrs may have only thrombolised 3 or 4 pt's, and god know's how many I have glued lol. We do have a good freedom of practice in the UK, all depending where you are (Cheshire&Merseyside) which makes the job interesting and challenging. I'm in no doubt that at present NSW and QLD are employing UK paramedics as "bums on seats" but once things have settled they may start looking how to utilise our skills, knowledge and experience better.
I just want to get there

John
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:50 pm   #25
Forum Regular

Finally received my formal job offer in the post today. Interview = Sept 07, job offer = Jan/feb 08.
Have been offered a start date of July 7th pending visa application and selling the house.
now the unenvieable task of filling out the visa application!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:45 pm   #26
Just Joined

Nice one Chris!
The temporary visa should take around 2-3 months and is done online. You'll need to scan all of your essential documents before you can upload them with your application. Watch the file size doesn't exceed 1mb per document as otherwise DIAC's system will reject them.

If you're applying for a permanent visa this is paper based and can take a little longer i believe. You'll need a subject access clearance from the police. This can take at least 40 days to process. For both types of visa one of the first things to do is medicals for you and your family, if you have children.

Chest x-rays are age dependant, with i think, 11 being the cut off point. The medicals and chest x-rays are assembled and sent independently of your application to Sydney. You just have to turn up and...pay for them!!

Email me if you need to clarify anything.

Cheers, Jon
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:28 pm   #27
Just Joined

Chopper911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there...

I'm looking at all places Oz (except NSW at the mo)...

it seems strange that there are so many threads/posts about Queensland and so few regarding NSW...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:22 pm   #28
Forum Regular

Hi,

As far as i know there only a handful ( a dozen maybe ) ex- UK paras working in the NSW, where as QLD has probably nearer 200. I gather a lot of these have joined QLD in the last year or so with plenty more on there way.

I can only put it down to QLD being more aggressive than NSW in there recruitment and dare i say it, making it easier to apply, as interviews are carried out in the UK whereas NSW insist on interviewing in Sydney

Also, the cost of living seems more expensive in Sydney - getting fed up with all of these programmes quoting Sydney as the most expensive city in the world to live!!!! ( it would be now that i am planning to move there!!!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:27 pm   #29
Just Joined

Chopper911 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris rose View Post
getting fed up with all of these programmes quoting Sydney as the most expensive city in the world to live!!!! ( it would be now that i am planning to move there!!!!
I know the feeling!!

So, have you opted for NSW because that is where you want to go, or because you don't want to de-skill?

my friends think i am mad for ruling out QAS fbecause of the skill-set offered, where as, if I understand correctly, NSW will take you as an ICP witha a bol-on (??) 6 week course.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 8:07 am   #30
Forum Regular

Opted for NSW partly because of the ICP offer (which they have granted through recognition of prior learning) and partly through what i have heard of them as a service (supposedly the best in Aus?)
The training consists of attending a 6-8 week course ( which i guess is similar to a tech course here) as a way of familiarisaing yourself with there protocols and ways of doing things. Seems a bit extreme, going back to basics, but i thnk it will do me good. This is followed by 8 weeks mentoring on the road as an advanced para, followed by 8 weeks mentoring as a ICP. After that, off you go! To me, this seems a pretty good scheme, considering how thing are done differently over there. Plenty of opportunity to get things right (or wrong) with the safety net of a mentor with you. I gather in QLD you are pretty much thrown in at the deep end.
I have been put off QLD because of the threads on this forum - a lot of discontent it seems up north!
Also, the wide variety of climates across the state, meaning if i choose to work out of Sydney, there are other areas with decent weather, that is not tropical! ( like it hot, but not too hot!)

chris

Last edited by chris rose; Feb 8th 2008 at 8:13 am.
Closed Thread

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Australia