Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nowhere stranger than Nundle...

Nowhere stranger than Nundle...

Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:51 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82
I'm sort of bored.. actually, no, I'm busy enough, but still interested enough to come in here everytime I see a new addition to see what pics and comments have been added...

I could add some 'outback' pics myself, but I'm at work!!

Carry on
Thanks Simone!

I've gone beyond boredom and into a blank-eyed, dribbling coma. As I wasn't supposed to be back at work yet because of my mum, I've done all my work for this month! All I've done for the last 4 days is shortlist candidates - 123 of them so far - and I'm sick of it! So I've been posting away here to prevent myself from falling asleep on my desk and to while away the next 2 hours until it's time to go home....
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:51 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bundy
Indeed. Madingley is a pretty nice place - very English. Mr B plays cricket for the village team and it's all terribly British (so why they let an aussie in I don't know!)

Nothing this old in Nundle, of course, but there is the whole goldmining history which I find quite interesting. And having grown up in timber-framed medieval houses complete with drafts and damp, I'm actually quite a fan of a decent house with solid walls and temperature control!
Hmmmmm temperature control in an aussie house - that would be when you control how far you open the windows, wouldnt it?

Dagboy has just explained to me where Madingley is, now I know, but I am really not much wiser .

Simone :scared: , stop sneaking up on us like that, you will scare people
Old Apr 1st 2004, 12:55 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Hmmmmm temperature control in an aussie house - that would be when you control how far you open the windows, wouldnt it?

Dagboy has just explained to me where Madingley is, now I know, but I am really not much wiser .

Simone :scared: , stop sneaking up on us like that, you will scare people
In the house I grew up in you could literally feel the wind coming through the wattle and daub (that's horsehair and mush) walls. I used to sleep under 3 doonas, a sleeping bag and with a leccy blanket, hat and gloves. Mind you, that was before I found out about the thyroid thing, so maybe it wasn't that bad after all
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:00 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

In the house I grew up in you could literally feel the wind coming through the wattle and daub (that's horsehair and mush) walls. I used to sleep under 3 doonas, a sleeping bag and with a leccy blanket, hat and gloves. Mind you, that was before I found out about the thyroid thing, so maybe it wasn't that bad after all
LOL, even with mine much improved I still get cold when most normal people dont, I think its just me .

I used to love our house in the UK, there were huge gaps in the floorboards & you would lose money or any small objects down the holes if you dropped stuff on the floor. That & the huge old beams that the whole place was made out of - magic!

cant get anything like that around here!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:04 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

BOO!

Thanks Simone!

I've gone beyond boredom and into a blank-eyed, dribbling coma. As I wasn't supposed to be back at work yet because of my mum, I've done all my work for this month! All I've done for the last 4 days is shortlist candidates - 123 of them so far - and I'm sick of it! So I've been posting away here to prevent myself from falling asleep on my desk and to while away the next 2 hours until it's time to go home....
Yes, being bored isn't always a good thing!

My problem is, I'm actually very busy! But I'm addicted, and I guess still not challenged enough.
But I know that in the end it will be a HUGE rush to get everthing finished (reports etc) and then I will probably pass, but I know I could have done much better quality, depth....
Anyway, we've been here before... but that was in my last work experience place( a few months ago). Now I'm doing my 'end project' for my graduation. I think I'll have to work a bit harder for this one....
Arghh, I wish I could block some websites, so I just CAN'T visit them
I have NO self discipline AT ALL
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:05 pm
She's a bird, you know

LOL, even with mine much improved I still get cold when most normal people dont, I think its just me .

I used to love our house in the UK, there were huge gaps in the floorboards & you would lose money or any small objects down the holes if you dropped stuff on the floor. That & the huge old beams that the whole place was made out of - magic!

cant get anything like that around here!
Gaps in the floorboards big enough to lose small children down in our house! And those beams...I'm 5'10, my brothers 6'4 and 6'3 respectively and we all have scars on our heads from collisions with beams.

Mind you, the Prison (where we lived, see above) was pretty basic. No locks on any of the doors, no glass in the dunny window (possibly a blessing given some of our occasional cohabitors), lizards in the kitchen, sheep on the verrandah, brown running water, a possum in the roof, no heating except for an open fire and holes in the bathroom wall. Nice high ceilings though! I loved the place and we're hoping to buy it when we go back and do it up.

Whereabouts did you live when you were over here?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:06 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by Simone82

Yes, being bored isn't always a good thing!

My problem is, I'm actually very busy! But I'm addicted, and I guess still not challenged enough.
But I know that in the end it will be a HUGE rush to get everthing finished (reports etc) and then I will probably pass, but I know I could have done much better quality, depth....
Anyway, we've been here before... but that was in my last work experience place( a few months ago). Now I'm doing my 'end project' for my graduation. I think I'll have to work a bit harder for this one....
Arghh, I wish I could block some websites, so I just CAN'T visit them
I have NO self discipline AT ALL
Think of it as a useful diversion tactic...gives your brain a chance to think of something else...
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:11 pm
Rocket Scientist

Gaps in the floorboards big enough to lose small children down in our house! And those beams...I'm 5'10, my brothers 6'4 and 6'3 respectively and we all have scars on our heads from collisions with beams.

Mind you, the Prison (where we lived, see above) was pretty basic. No locks on any of the doors, no glass in the dunny window (possibly a blessing given some of our occasional cohabitors), lizards in the kitchen, sheep on the verrandah, brown running water, a possum in the roof, no heating except for an open fire and holes in the bathroom wall. Nice high ceilings though! I loved the place and we're hoping to buy it when we go back and do it up.

Whereabouts did you live when you were over here?
Yeah Dagboys about 5'10" & he used to have to walk around the kitchen with his head held to one side to avoid belting his head. Im shorter (about 5'7") so I was safe. Well apart from the doorway in, which was only around 5'2", so just about everyone had to duck .

We were in Odiham, little village near Fleet. Very very lovely area. End terrace house mid 18th century. Used to make my eyes water & the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end .

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Apr 1st 2004 at 1:18 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:20 pm
She's a bird, you know

Yeah Dagboys about 5'10" & he used to have to walk around the kitchen with his head held to one side to avoid belting his head. Im shorter (about 5'7") so I was safe. Well apart from the doorway in, which was only around 5'2", so just about everyone had to duck .

We were in Odiham, little village near Fleet. Very very lovely area. End terrace house mid 17th century I think it was. Used to make my eyes water & the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end .

Sounds lovely. My brother lives in that neck of the woods - was in Yately, now near Sandhurst. And what memories of Fleet Services I have...

My older brother ended up with concussion three times from beam-related injuries and my mum was always too embarassed to take him to A&E in case she got done for child-bashing!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:31 pm
Rocket Scientist

Sounds lovely. My brother lives in that neck of the woods - was in Yately, now near Sandhurst. And what memories of Fleet Services I have...

My older brother ended up with concussion three times from beam-related injuries and my mum was always too embarassed to take him to A&E in case she got done for child-bashing!
LOL, gotta relate to that, being twin boys our kids beat each other up & Im always worried that the scars etc are going to be thought of as child abuse marks :scared: .

Anyway, off to bed for me, dont fall asleep before you get to go home . Night!
Old Apr 1st 2004, 1:33 pm
She's a bird, you know

LOL, gotta relate to that, being twin boys our kids beat each other up & Im always worried that the scars etc are going to be thought of as child abuse marks :scared: .

Anyway, off to bed for me, dont fall asleep before you get to go home . Night!
I was about to ask what time it is there!!! Night then...
Old Apr 1st 2004, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Mustering
Dont know if anycares... but this is the most interesting thread ever... The pictures are great...........how i long to be 30 again lol...............
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 6:53 am
She's a bird, you know

MrsD - look positive encouragement! That means we can keep posting this c**p and now I'll have to dig out some more piccies....
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:02 am
She's a bird, you know

More piccies...

This is our mate Craig who is the bravest man I know, being a gay station manager in a small outback town.
Attached Thumbnails Nowhere stranger than Nundle...-craig.jpg  
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:08 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Silly goat, they are wethers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.